Minimum shutter speed in AV?

Name
Sarb
Edit My Images
No
Evening! :wave:

Very quick question - is it possible to set a minimum shutter speed in AV mode on a Canon 40D?

I was reading a photography book and the author (using a Nikon) said he used aperture priority most of the time and was able to set a minimum speed. Hadn't heard of this before....

You can govern this by the ISO on Canon although from memory Nikon do.

Well it's so long since I've dabbled in these settings but from memory if you're in AV mode - select your desired aperture and also select 'Auto ISO' - it will then choose to up the ISO rather than let shutter speeds drop below your focal length. I may remember that wrong though in which case somebody will keep you right. There are loads of threads regarding how Auto ISO / min shutter speeds behave in AV mode for different Canon models.

To be honest - I stay off Auto ISO in AV mode. You'll have an incling of what shutter speeds are too slow for your subject. Set your aperture and then as required, quickly adjust (increase) your ISO with your scroll wheel to achieve a suitably fast speed and that should = correct exposure.

Last edited:
Back