Mobile Phone set-up help required.

Name
Howard
Edit My Images
Yes
Please excuse me if I'm in the wrong place, I don't usually venture into this section of the forum. If it's wrong mods please put it in it's proper place!!

My wife has just got a new Samsung phone I can't get her photos back nor her contacts which I in my ignorance thought were on her Sim card. So my questions are: where are they stored and is it possible, easily, to get them back?

Any help would be gratefully received.

TIA

Howard

Data hasn't been stored on Sim cards for over a decade. :)

It'll be stored in the memory of her old phone.

If the two phones are the same make the simplest way to transfer data is to back up the old handset and restore it to the new one.

@DemiLion Thanks for the rapid reply. I'm so out of date with phones!!!! I'll get one of my sons to do it if he's got the time.

Thanks once again.

Howard

Last edited:
Also depending on the way the phone was set up, they could be saved into a google account or even en account from the service provider.

Bluntly it's why I hate helping my MiL with her phone, cos it's a constant struggle between Samsung O2 and Android.

The best thing about Apple is they don't allow anyone else to mess with their fundamentals, I've got images on my phone shot 10 years ago that still exist with no intervention from me whatsoever, just Apple looking after my 'stuff'

I had an LG and moved to a Motorola phone. The Motorola had an app that seamlessly moved everything across. I was amazed, I'd always had to give up in the past and enter everything manually, copying photographs to the additional micro SD and physically moving that across, it was always such a pain; things are much easier these days.

One can usually save all the files on a phone to a computer & then trabsfer them back, but it seems much easier just to store everything on the SD card. If your phone can't take a SD card then you may have chosen the wrong phone. ;)

Phones often have such huge memory these days that an SD card isn't usually necessary.

If you can connect the phone to a PC, as if it is an external HD, you can examine the folder structure using the file system of the PC.

Contacts, you should be able to copy to sim card? Most phones have the ability to save contacts to phone, sim card or both.

Also depending on the way the phone was set up, they could be saved into a google account or even en account from the service provider.

Bluntly it's why I hate helping my MiL with her phone, cos it's a constant struggle between Samsung O2 and Android.

The best thing about Apple is they don't allow anyone else to mess with their fundamentals, I've got images on my phone shot 10 years ago that still exist with no intervention from me whatsoever, just Apple looking after my 'stuff'

this is exactly why I have used apple it makes everything easy photos that I put in iCloud automatically go to all of my devices
I used to use a samsung phone but got fed up with manually transferring photos over

Howard you should be able to connect your Samsung phone to a laptop or computer and it will recognise it as a drive then just copy the photos over to you laptop then you can transfer the ones you want over to the new phone , it’s what I used to do when I had a samsung phone :)
I always struggled with copying contacts over with my Samsung always ended up doing it manually but I’m not very tech savvy

Last edited:
I'd agree with the recommendation for the Samsung Smart Switch application as it's easy to use and will copy media, texts, contacts etc, across to a Samsung phone, you can also use it as a one click backup solution as well to a PC.

Android phones should automatically sync to Google so a new phone should sync them back down so I'd checked if they are stored there already, it can be done from a PC by going to the Google account and opening the contacts.

Back