mowse73's 52 week 11 Candid

The second shot for me - the greater saturation and cleaner lines seem to emphasise the speed more and it is a more pleasing shot generally.

...You might have gone one step further and tried to include yourself in the mirror in a kinda self portrait speed image:D

Don't encourage him - it looks dangerous enough as it is :eek:.

Great shots Martin.Easily your best by far,really inventive and you deserve the result for the effort you've put in....Mick

I'd thought I'd commented on your street shot Martin... Sorry... I really like the colour graffiti shot, it works very well. Speed, clearly a speedy effect, I like it.

i really like your speed shot, i keep wanting to try one of these but really dont fancy risking it lol

good job on this on

Hi all. I couldn't shoot the image i had in mind for week 6 due to the weather, I'm not going to subit another and i am going to wait for the weather conditions required, for this reason i didn't comment on last weeks theme. As for week 7, I thought i would go to Bath and try some street photography, there wasn't much going on I'm afraid, This was the best of a uninspiring bunch. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Nice image take on the subject but looks soft to me:shrug: but then I may be wrong with my eyes:LOL:

Wierd - I like the image but I can't work out what's going on with the focussing. Most of the shot looks soft, but his cardigan looks fairly sharp, especially at waist level! It can't be narrow dof @ f/5.6 and it can't be camera shake @ 1/500 sec at 167mm FL.

Actually it might be dof & focussing error as the street behind is fairly sharp - a touch of back-focussing or perhaps missed focus?

Phil

Wierd - I like the image but I can't work out what's going on with the focussing. Most of the shot looks soft, but his cardigan looks fairly sharp, especially at waist level! It can't be narrow dof @ f/5.6 and it can't be camera shake @ 1/500 sec at 167mm FL.

Actually it might be dof & focussing error as the street behind is fairly sharp - a touch of back-focussing or perhaps missed focus?

Phil

I think I'm a bit of a shaker Phil(misspent youth). I don't like doing this sort of photo,so, i'm always rushing it. Need to relax a bit I guess.

First of all - well done on getting out there and taking people pics in the street. (y) I agree with the comment about the focusing on the busker shot - but I love the pose and the energy.

The second one is excellent - you've caught her expression beautifully - she's totally absorbed in her photo. The black and white conversion has worked really well and brought out the details like the texture of her coat and the handbag. Well observed and well executed. (y)

Jean

First shot doesn't do the trick for me I'm afraid. Not sure how the head is so out of focus when the lower half of his body looks a lot sharper and the girl on the left is chopped off a bit.

Second shot is my favourite. You've really caught the concentration going on and the b&w conversion looks good. Shame it's a little soft, but that would be down to the 1/30sec exposure. Don't be afraid to bump that ISO a bit to help :)

:agree: 2nd shot for me is much better, if still a touch soft. I still haven't had the guts to try the street photography "thang". Great attempt.

Cheers, Rob

I see what you mean having the same problem as me.

Great captures though, and as stated well done for going out of your comfort zone and trying something new.

It has paid off and you now have a different image in your photo 52.

I prefer the 2nd image myself although both are very well caught, just a shame about the focus problems.

Good luck for next week :)

I like both of these.. wont go on about the focusing but like the subjects, great spots - I am a wuss taking photos on the street but have seen some great shots for this theme, will have to get a bit braver :)

Some great shots so far Martin (y) especially speed.

I can't work out the reasons for the softness, there shouldn't be camera shake at 1/500th although it is possible. As you say it might be because you are rushing it very easy when you are yet to be fully comfortable with pointing a loaded camera at people.

Well done for getting out there Martin, I've not managed it yet. I think the second is the better of the two shots... nicely done.

It looks as if in the first one the camera has focused on his cardigan but he is moving/leaning forwards as he is playing. But well done for giving it a go. I find my hands shake with excitement/embarrassment at first when I try street togging but it gets better with practice.

The second shot is much better - really well caught. (y)

Hi Martin, I really like the second one. In the first, I find the sign behind his head a little off-putting, and as others have mentioned the focus is not quite right. I would not dare venture out onto the streets and take pictures of strangers, so well done.

Jenny

Yup... the woman with the camera is the better one for me too. Not a lot to add really, other than echo what's been said before re focusing.

He's clearly having fun playing Martin. A good idea on the triptych, the first two work really well, I'm not sure on the third though... I'm not sure the scaling works... Second is a bit closer, then a dramatically larger FOV. It's on theme though.

He's clearly having fun playing Martin. A good idea on the triptych, the first two work really well, I'm not sure on the third though... I'm not sure the scaling works... Second is a bit closer, then a dramatically larger FOV. It's on theme though.

Thx John..I did think that the 3rd image was bit too different in scale, i might see if there was another image i could add on a similar scale.

Thx John..I did think that the 3rd image was bit too different in scale, i might see if there was another image i could add on a similar scale.

Martin, I too like your image, it works well as a tryptych (sp) but as has been said above about the scale, could you not crop your third image and bring the scale up to match the others?

Nice triptych and the second version is by far the better as the images are better balanced size wise. (y)

Great edit on your play shot Martin. Exposed nicely and he looks like he's having a ball! :clap:

Cheers, Rob

Great idea for play, for me I would like to have seen the whole slide and the three shots would have been top, middle and bottom as he slid down.

Interesting shot for mechanical, would have loved to know the scale of the subject as it doesn't come across in the shot.

(y)

Play (2nd version) is lovely and bang on theme - what a gorgeous little boy. Is he your son?

It might be even more effective if you kept the scale but cropped the third image so that he was lower in the frame, say cropping just below his left knee so that he appeared to be sliding out of the bottom of the picture. Just a thought.

Mechanical is very effective - I like the way it makes an abstract pattern. I wouldn't have had a clue what it was if you hadn't explained.

Play... the edit... much much better... (y).. I think Tracer is onto something with the crop for the third shot too.

That's some serious coils there Martin, but I guess is has to be to divert the beam of light. I really like it.

:wave: Martin, good to see you catching up and I hope that the college course is going well.

Play - love the idea and the second edit is so much better!
I third Tracer's suggestion on an alternative crop for shot 3 though.

this is a diople magnet which is used to direct a beam of light that runs around the building where i work. The building is a synchatron, which isused for scientific research, this is the uk's biggest science project for 40 years.

I have no idea what any of that just meant :thinking: :shrug:
I absolutely love the symmetrical abstract composition though, and the colours are great. I like this one a lot (y)

Play - second version is a great improvement on what was already a wonderful interpretation of the theme. That lovely look of joy on the boy's face sums up play perfectly.

Mechanical - Nice and sharp and I like the symmetry and abstract appearance. I'm another who would like to have some idea of the scale of the coils.

You're not the only one who's behind - I haven't commented on your thread for ages!

Play: I love the second edit. Your son's expression is pure delight and the 3 pictures together tell the story so well. :clap:

Mechanical: Great colours and symmetry. It sounds like a very clever bit of mechanics. (y)

Candid: A lovely shot, and I hope his Mum got her hat back, eventually. :)

I hope you catch up with your college course - it's amazing how much time anything to do with photography can take. ;)

Jean

Martin, that's a lovely shot... not sure it's all that Candid... he spotted you :D... but it's worked very well...

Good luck with the college course, catch that up first though..

Back