MPB - Good Camera - Bad Battery

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I took the plunge last week and got a really nice low mileage D300S from MPB and took it out for the first time 'properly' yesterday. The battery was fully charged but had gone flat after about 50 shots (about 4 using flash). I couldn't quite believe it and when I got it home discovered it has been supplied with an unidentifiable 3rd party offering. Of course you can't see the ad once the camera has been sold and I think it just said it was supplied with a battery, it didn't state original Nikon.

I had traded in my D90 (which has the same battery) and wish now I had kept the Nikon battery and traded it in with a £13.99 replacement. Really p1ssed off and now waiting for a response from MPB to see if they will replace it. A deafening silence so far though. I have used MPB a number of times and they have always been great so this is a real surprise.

I took the plunge last week and got a really nice low mileage D300S from MPB and took it out for the first time 'properly' yesterday. The battery was fully charged but had gone flat after about 50 shots (about 4 using flash). I couldn't quite believe it and when I got it home discovered it has been supplied with an unidentifiable 3rd party offering. Of course you can't see the ad once the camera has been sold and I think it just said it was supplied with a battery, it didn't state original Nikon.

I had traded in my D90 (which has the same battery) and wish now I had kept the Nikon battery and traded it in with a £13.99 replacement. Really p1ssed off and now waiting for a response from MPB to see if they will replace it. A deafening silence so far though. I have used MPB a number of times and they have always been great so this is a real surprise.

Have you phoned them? I found that they are quick responders if you call.

I haven't. I sent the email yesterday, will leave it until lunchtime and give them a call.

I'm not being funny you've started a thread lambasting the company before they've even really had opportunity to correct the issue...sorry to say but for me that's poor form...

A deafening silence so far though.
A mere two or so hours into the trading day? They are probably still working through e-mails from the weekend....

Best to call them, I'm sure they'll sort it.

I'm not being funny you've started a thread lambasting the company before they've even really had opportunity to correct the issue...sorry to say but for me that's poor form...

Got to agree, wouldnt it have been better to give them a chance to sort it out then start a thread saying how good [or indeed bad] they are?

OK, hands up, agreed. I have had nothing but good from MPB in the past and they will probably sort this out. The caning I got from my wife when the battery ran out at the moment my daughter met santa hasn't helped my mood this morning..

Regardless of the outcome it might be a good idea to get a spare

He has a spare...he could have sent it to MPB istead of a genuine one.

He CBA to take it with him. Not quite sure why that's MPB's fault!

i didn't have a spare, i meant i would have got a cheap one to trade in if i had known i was going to cheap one back. that way i would have ended up with my original Nikon battery.

Can't imagine not having a spare, same goes for the memory card

It was hardly a rant:p
We may have to agree to disagree on that one.
But, as he's a man who obviously expects the very highest standards, not to say immediate attention, from those he deals with then maybe he should demonstrate his willingness to live by the same standards he expects of others!

Give the guy a break for gods sake, it isnt the first time and wont be the last time MPB have supplied utter crap under the pretence of camera equipment, the OP was miffed and rightly so.

Were all different and if guys like the OP said nothing then suppliers/retailers QC checks would go downhill even further.

OK it was only a battery but my broken equipment was a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, maybe, just maybe it was only a battery because peope complained in the past.

I think he is quite entitled to complain if he has been sent a poor product. He has been very clear about when he asked them and how long he has waited, and compare to some moans on TP, this one is actually very on-topic.

We may have to agree to disagree on that one.
But, as he's a man who obviously expects the very highest standards, not to say immediate attention, from those he deals with then maybe he should demonstrate his willingness to live by the same standards he expects of others!

He has given money to MPB, hence his expectation of a decent product. We have not given the OP any money, so I cannot see how we should expect the same level from him.

battery life does fall off a cliff pretty quickly. maybe it just happened to die post MBP checking it (even then i doubt they'd chuck 50 shots on the camera to check the battery).

the D300S is a 5 year old camera now, I wouldn't expect the original to still be functioning. whether or not the ad stated it was supplied with OEM or 3rd party remains to be seen.

I don't have a spare battery for my D7000 - can't afford one. PLUS, it seems to last FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I think he is quite entitled to complain if he has been sent a poor product. He has been very clear about when he asked them and how long he has waited, and compare to some moans on TP, this one is actually very on-topic.

I didn't say he wasn't entitled to complain to the company about the poor product, but let's be clear for a minute..this is a battery that hasn't held it charge, how are they MPB supposed to be expected to test this, IMO sure they charged the battery and checked the camera was working, but a couple of test shots are not going to show it's a dud battery...

But my point was an you seem to have totally missed this, is that he hasn't actually allowed them time to rectify the situation, considering he posted the thread not all that long after they will have opened and would have been working through an entire weekend of correspondence...do you have any idea how quickly search engines index stuff on TP, I've known threads to have already been scanned and listed on search results on google in under 15 minutes of being started....don't you think it's a little bit unfair to the company to leave a very negative report on a issue that they haven't had the opportunity to rectify (well I don't considered the first couple of hours of opening after the weekend to be reasonable time scale) in which to then start lambasting the company, I'd say the deserve at least to close of business on the Monday

Bad reports spread very quickly on the Internet and can be very damaging to a company and it's reputation and rightly so where it's justifiable, but to my mind this wasn't justifiable at the time of posting it from the part of the OP

I didn't say he wasn't entitled to complain to the company about the poor product, but let's be clear for a minute..this is a battery that hasn't held it charge, how are they MPB supposed to be expected to test this, IMO sure they charged the battery and checked the camera was working, but a couple of test shots are not going to show it's a dud battery...

But my point was an you seem to have totally missed this, is that he hasn't actually allowed them time to rectify the situation, considering he posted the thread not all that long after they will have opened and would have been working through an entire weekend of correspondence...do you have any idea how quickly search engines index stuff on TP, I've known threads to have already been scanned and listed on search results on google in under 15 minutes of being started....don't you think it's a little bit unfair to the company to leave a very negative report on a issue that they haven't had the opportunity to rectify (well I don't considered the first couple of hours of opening after the weekend to be reasonable time scale) in which to then start lambasting the company, I'd say the deserve at least to close of business on the Monday

Bad reports spread very quickly on the Internet and can be very damaging to a company and it's reputation and rightly so where it's justifiable, but to my mind this wasn't justifiable at the time of posting it from the part of the OP

Matthew, I did not miss your point at all,

But he is perfectly entitled to state on this forum his experience. How long should he wait before posting? 36 hrs, 48 hrs, 2 weeks? You can see how silly that can become. And really, do you see this as being a 'very negative report'? Perhaps you are being a little touch on the matter.

I cannot understand why you wish to restrict a consumer posting their factual experiences on a forum of which they are a member. He has been clear on the timelines and has been nothing but factual on the exact nature of the problem he has encountered and the timeless involved.

I would be very worried if merchants were to dictate the terms of when and where consumers can post their experiences.

but the customer is always right, even when they're being totally unreasonable :D

(not aimed at the OP, just retail in general)

Oh yeah you don't have to preach to me there, used to work in customer service for a large credit card provider :LOL: and it was never ever their fault there the payment for their credit card was late that month ;) even the woman who's mother died two months on the trot, she was very unlucky out of 200 people she could have spoken to she got me both months on the trot :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: also too bad for her I had a very good memory for customers I'd dealt with ;)

We must assume that there has been some contact between MPB and OP. Given his readiness to complain it seems strange that he is very reluctant to tell us the outcome of their discussions. If MPB hadn't been in touch I've little doubt he would have been back on here.

Now as my learned friend might say...there is no direct evidence before us that the battery he is complaining about is the same one as that supplied by MPB. He has already stated his willigness to supply them with what he calls substandard goods:-
and wish now I had kept the Nikon battery and traded it in with a £13.99 replacement.

I suspect that MPB got in touch with him fairly quickly yesterday and have sorted out this problem. OP was on here at 9.37 last night but hasn't bothered to update us. It is reasonable to ask why not. MPB are a company that support this site, and get mainly very positive comments about their service to us, and the outcome of this problem is of interest to us all.

But he is perfectly entitled to state on this forum his experience. How long should he wait before posting? 36 hrs, 48 hrs, 2 weeks? You can see how silly that can become. And really, do you see this as being a 'very negative report'? Perhaps you are being a little touch on the matter.

I cannot understand why you wish to restrict a consumer posting their factual experiences on a forum of which they are a member. He has been clear on the timelines and has been nothing but factual on the exact nature of the problem he has encountered and the timeless involved.

I would be very worried if merchants were to dictate the terms of when and where consumers can post their experiences.

I would suggest it's not at all unreasonable to post his experiences, but perhaps a complete experience would be a better indicator. No one is suggesting the retailer or anyone else should dictate when its posted, merely that it is fair to allow the retailer time to respond before whinging. Wouldn't YOU expect at least that courtesy if you were the person being moaned about? Anyway, the OP has already said he has possibly jumped the gun a little, probably in part due to the grief he got from his wife [fair enough :LOL: ], so maybe we should all await his update.

All I expect of people is to be reasonable in their expectations of complaints handling, and I don't think the OP was being particularly reasonable in posting a negative review before he has even had first contact with the company, if he hadn't heard from them days after contacting them then fair enough but hours after is just not at all reasonable and I'd venture most would agree on that point even if you and the OP don't agree

At the end of the day also email should always be considered a non urgent communication medium, as it's perfectly possible to be delayed as people work through emails, or even get lost to spam filters...if the issue were so urgent to the OP he should have called the company

I would suggest it's not at all unreasonable to post his experiences, but perhaps a complete experience would be a better indicator. No one is suggesting the retailer or anyone else should dictate when its posted, merely that it is fair to allow the retailer time to respond before whinging. Wouldn't YOU expect at least that courtesy if you were the person being moaned about? Anyway, the OP has already said he has possibly jumped the gun a little, probably in part due to the grief he got from his wife [fair enough :LOL: ], so maybe we should all await his update.

Yes, I might well.

But this is a discussion forum, and these are the types of things that are discussed on a photography forum. I see no harm in what has been done, and I see no problem in giving the facts as they occur.

Yes, I might well.

But this is a discussion forum, and these are the types of things that are discussed on a photography forum. I see no harm in what has been done, and I see no problem in giving the facts as they occur.

But OP is not giving us the facts. Have MPB been in touch and if so what was the outcome of their discussions. He has been on here since close of business yesterday so he could have updated us, but he seems to prefer not to.

But then again good news never sells newspapers!

But OP is not giving us the facts. Have MPB been in touch and if so what was the outcome of their discussions. He has been on here since close of business yesterday so he could have updated us, but he seems to prefer not to.

But then again good news never sells newspapers!

So you are saying that he must keep us up to date in real time, despite whatever is happening in his life. Pish!

He has been told above he has jumped the gun, and is now being told he must keep us up to date minute by minute. Dear god, now I'm confused!

So you are saying that he must keep us up to date in real time, despite whatever is happening in his life. Pish!

He has been told above he has jumped the gun, and is now being told he must keep us up to date minute by minute. Dear god, now I'm confused!

He managed to find time in what you seem to consider is a busy life to put one side of a story. It is not unreasonable to expect him to find time to put the response to his claim which I suspect will be a totally satisfactory outcome.
He has been on here and apparently refused to update us. Why?

get a spare from amazon those 3rd party ones. they are as good especially for your camera, the battery has been around for years!

Forgetting about time scales , facts and updates my problem with them would have begun the second I noticed they supplied me a 3rd party battery !!! MPB wouldn't buy a lens off my friend because he didn't have the origional receipt with it , but yet it's ok to supply a camera with an unknown brand of battery which we all know can have all sorts of problems with lack of holding charge , leaking etc
That's bad form

He managed to find time in what you seem to consider is a busy life to put one side of a story. It is not unreasonable to expect him to find time to put the response to his claim which I suspect will be a totally satisfactory outcome.
He has been on here and apparently refused to update us. Why?
Who says he's refusing to update us? He's not a prolific poster, so maybe he is awaiting the outcome before updating us.
I sometimes log onto the site at work and check for post updates etc, but don't always have time to post.
Also, his original post was hardly a real slating for mpb. He even mentioned the great service that he's received in the past.
You're the one being unreasonable in my opinion.

Last edited:
Forgetting about time scales , facts and updates my problem with them would have begun the second I noticed they supplied me a 3rd party battery !!! MPB wouldn't buy a lens off my friend because he didn't have the origional receipt with it , but yet it's ok to supply a camera with an unknown brand of battery which we all know can have all sorts of problems with lack of holding charge , leaking etc
That's bad form
depends on the battery. i always used 3rd party (7dayshop equivs) in my 20D and 5dmk2 with no bother.

only genuines i have are for the 1D as MBP had a deal on them once.

Back