Daily Mr and Mrs West's Year of Change 366 for 2012 (366/366) -DONE!

Very nice!

Ugly bleedin' model though - I hope you got a refund ;)

I'm loving these - is this the new theme - Macabre?

The theme is going a to be a week based around Lovecraft's stories. Although some of them will be hard to set up without the assistance of people at work to act as models.

Today's is based on the Haunter of the Dark (relevant quote on Flickr page). The question is - with eldritch text or without? The people I've shown it to have been pretty much evenly split between the two.

43 Forbidden Knowledge II:The Haunter of the Dark by DrHWest, on Flickr

43 Forbidden Knowledge II:The Haunter of the Dark by DrHWest, on Flickr

I think without, although a subtly place glyph on or above the door could work.

Continuing the Forbidden Knowledge sequence, we have three which will be put into a Triptych when I figure out the way I want to do it.

The Shadow Over Innsmouth by DrHWest, on Flickr

The Shadow Over Innsmouth II by DrHWest, on Flickr

The Shadow Over Innsmouth III by DrHWest, on Flickr

I think my favourite of them is III, so that'll stand for today's shot until I work out the mechanics of displaying them.

Might have to postpone the other planned shots for this theme as I'll need a lot of props and models.

ETA: worked up the Triptych. In retrospect, I wish I'd used a plainer typewriter font, but c'est la vie.

Innsmouth Triptych by DrHWest, on Flickr

Last edited:
Excellent work - keep these coming!

PS - To others look to the shadows.... oooo..

Went for a walk in the woods today, looking for the old Sawmill to use as the Whately place for a Dunwich Horror shot. It turns out that the sawmill was knocked down ten years ago. However, we literally (!) stumbled over two interesting things which immediately presented themselves:

Lovecraft Country by DrHWest, on Flickr

The Idol by DrHWest, on Flickr

I think The Idol will be today's actual shot.

I've roped in advice from a chum of mine who's a comics artist to help advise on the next one as the PP is proving to be a touch difficult.

Not having access to a printer at home is a bit of a bugger. I would have liked to have done the final stage of this one as part of the construction of the physical piece rather than digitally. It's close to what I wanted but not quite there: could have done with more time to build it. I may have another crack at this tomorrow, alongside whatever I shoot.

Vistas of Reality by DrHWest, on Flickr

For anyone interested, here's the elements of it:

Forbidden Knowledge by DrHWest, on Flickr

Forbidden Knowledge Border by DrHWest, on Flickr

It goes without saying that the whole things owes a massive debt to Dave McKean.

Last edited:
Nice again :geek:

Cuthbert!!!!

Again very nice.

I've really enjoyed it. The PP has always been the bit I've enjoyed the most. What this week has taught me is that I want to move into more sculptural work, actually building the shots. So what I think you're going to see is fairly 'normal' shots for most of the week followed by one big themed shot or sequence of shots in a McKean style. All depending on pressures of work, of course.

Today - due to circumstances that don't realy need exploring at this juncture - I was appearing on the BBC local radio breakfast show, so took the opportunity to grab the dawn:

Dawn by DrHWest, on Flickr

However, with my lovecraft eyes on, I spotted a path that led to a blank wall. Why? What might be behind the wall?

Unimagined Space by DrHWest, on Flickr

And I also found a large house, that made me wonder... who would live in a house like this?

Unutterable Things by DrHWest, on Flickr

The weekend will be normal shots, but I have two more Forbidden Knowledge portraits sets up next week.

I love the third, but think the text over the walls may be overkill on this one, if its just a layer try taking it off - I think all the other items will be enough.

Last edited:
I love the third, but think the text over the walls may be overkill on this one, if its just a layer try taking it off - I think all the other items will be enough.

Need to keep the text there as that's the only common element between them all. I agree that it's too obvious, though. It needs to be taken down in the mix a bit.

ETA: And I love the fact that you looked at the second and went, "Nah, the text on that's nice and understated. But that text on the third one..." :)

And just for you...

Unutterable Things Edit by DrHWest, on Flickr

Last edited:
haha, I know, but on the second the text was the vehicle to draw the eye to the wall and old Cuthbert lurking there, but on the third in my eyes not needed.

I think the feel is enough to keep the images in theme, I could be wrong and others may argue but I don't think the text need be the hook.

Such a quirky photo set - really liking it. Many shots would make great book illustrations if you were writing about Lovecraft and that whole genre.

Cheers, Stewart. Really enjoying myself.

The biggest issue I'm having is that I'm doing a shoot for raw images and then producing dozens of pictures during the course of the week: but because the raw pictures were all taken on one day, I can't use all of them!

For example, here's the last two:

54 Victoriana by DrHWest, on Flickr

[I was helping a GCSE Art student with her coursework - she ended up creating a sextet of Dave McKean inspired 3d collages showing technological progress from fire through to nuclear physics. This was the setup for the Victorian one, and it was just the contrast between the bolts and the lace I liked]

And this was the one from last night - a visual pun:

A Musical Interlude by DrHWest, on Flickr

Why so simple? Because I was busy processing stuff for a shot for next week - but along with way I knocked off these doodles:

The Angel Islington by DrHWest, on Flickr

The mind is its own place, and in itself Can make a heav’n of hell, a hell of heav’n. by DrHWest, on Flickr

Did I ever mention I hate you ;)

I'm sure there was a point where I was better than you with photoshop.... that day has long passed!

Did I ever mention I hate you ;)

I'm sure there was a point where I was better than you with photoshop.... that day has long passed!

That was before my job started to involve me helping people create stuff with Photoshop. Had a steep learning curve.

However, some I'm doing next week will rely more on sculpture than post-processing...

I cannot help but be seriously impressed at the standard of what your producing in these images since my last visit (y) that one with the book and the works blasting out of it is simply wonderful (y) :clap:

Matt

Bit behind with my posting, but been busy taking shots. This one was done while I was faffing about with some components of a sculpture a few left-over odds and ends of other shots.

57 Ghost in the Machine by DrHWest, on Flickr

And then the shot that the Angelic photoshoot was actually for. A friend of mine runs a company called electric angel design, and the name has stuck in my mind for years.

58 Electric Angel (tears of light) by DrHWest, on Flickr

From this I learned a valuable lesson about constructing these structures; you need to give them a lot of depth. My next one will be more successful.

For anyone interested, the shot that was used as the centrepiece of the sculpture was this:

Electric Angel Base Shot by DrHWest, on Flickr

Last edited:
I cannot help but to be ever more impressed at your editing and commitment in this challenge (y) but jebus 42 pages in 12 hours that's some seriously tired fingers I'm guessing how did you press the shutter button :eek:

Matt

I cannot help but to be ever more impressed at your editing and commitment in this challenge (y) but jebus 42 pages in 12 hours that's some seriously tired fingers I'm guessing how did you press the shutter button :eek:

Matt

I twisted the question so that it allowed me to use 30-odd pages of policy documents and reports I'd already written for work :)

Thanks for your kind words, Matt.

Last edited:
I twisted the question so that it allowed me to use 30-odd pages of policy documents and reports I'd already written for work :)

Thanks for your kind words, Matt.

I left my camera at work today, so had only a phone to work with this evening. Luckily, an old friend happened to be nearby to help with the inspiration stakes...

An Old Friend by DrHWest, on Flickr

Just a quick doodle again today, alas. I wanted to learn how to create the impression of a video screen shot - you know that distinctive pattern of lines across the image?

My model was a little on the skinny side, but at least has a nice big smile.

Xenomorph by DrHWest, on Flickr

Oddly, flickr seems to have lost the line patterning on the text quite a bit.

Back