*mtracerz Fifty2 thread* - Week 3: Chopped - 03/02/10

:clap: :clap: :clap:
That's my type of shot Rikki and I absolutely love it!
Selective colouring is spot on. I hadn't even realised that you'd done it until I looked at the original.

An amazing amount of effort in this and it's really paid off.
Great story in the shot and a really interesting interpretation of the poem.

The text looks just about the right size to me in the edit - I don't think you'll gain much more by moving it around again.
Not sure about editing out the flame. I can see why you did it - it didn't look 100% right in the original, but without it the highlights on the mirror aren't quite natural.
For me it was such a minor problem in the original that I think I'd prefer it left as it was.

Hi Rikki - this is going to be a fascinating 52. I can hardly believe you're a noob!! You've produced two thoughtful, well composed, well lit themes straight off and have critted them like a pro! I've come too late to the party to saying anything constructive about week 1 - except that the final, blue edited version is only subtely different, but streets ahead (if that makes sense) That gets my vote! :)

Week 2:

Its not that bad it is guys?? :LOL:
Don't worry if you don't get immediate comments - there are zillions of us doing the 52 this year and slackers (like me!) who don't post 'till the very last minute often don't want to look at other people's interpretations before they've done their own. It's also really hard to try and drop in on every 52er, and I for one know I won't get round to everybody every week.

But I'm delighted I found your thread. Week 2 is a cracker. You've put loads of thought into it and it oozes atmosphere. I always think text should be legible (kind of loses its purpose if it's not!) so I prefer the larger text versions. Aside from that, I'd definitely "re-ignite" that flame on the left of the frame. The desat and selective colouring is the most subtle processing I've seen - excellent. :clap:

Can't wait to see next week's. :)

Jean

:clap: :clap: :clap:
That's my type of shot Rikki and I absolutely love it!
Selective colouring is spot on. I hadn't even realised that you'd done it until I looked at the original.

An amazing amount of effort in this and it's really paid off.
Great story in the shot and a really interesting interpretation of the poem.

The text looks just about the right size to me in the edit - I don't think you'll gain much more by moving it around again.
Not sure about editing out the flame. I can see why you did it - it didn't look 100% right in the original, but without it the highlights on the mirror aren't quite natural.
For me it was such a minor problem in the original that I think I'd prefer it left as it was.

Hi Sarah, thanks for taking the time to comment :)
Yeah I also was pleased with the outcome of this. Its definitely grown on me (wasnt to happy with it at first)
Yeah, I tried to keep the selective colouring subtle, as it can make or break an image in my opinion. Glad you liked it :)
Yeah, there was alot more effort went into this one than week 1, alot of thought and trial and error before I came to the final. Was a really good learning curve!
Looking back at the flame again, I think you may be right, although it was slightly annoying, it has to be there or it throws off the natural balance of light I tried to achieve with the candles. I will make another, probably final edit and have it back in.
Thank you for taking the time to comment again, keeps the confidence high to have the in-depth crit you provide :)

Hi Rikki - this is going to be a fascinating 52. I can hardly believe you're a noob!! You've produced two thoughtful, well composed, well lit themes straight off and have critted them like a pro! I've come too late to the party to saying anything constructive about week 1 - except that the final, blue edited version is only subtely different, but streets ahead (if that makes sense) That gets my vote! :)

Week 2:

Don't worry if you don't get immediate comments - there are zillions of us doing the 52 this year and slackers (like me!) who don't post 'till the very last minute often don't want to look at other people's interpretations before they've done their own. It's also really hard to try and drop in on every 52er, and I for one know I won't get round to everybody every week.

But I'm delighted I found your thread. Week 2 is a cracker. You've put loads of thought into it and it oozes atmosphere. I always think text should be legible (kind of loses its purpose if it's not!) so I prefer the larger text versions. Aside from that, I'd definitely "re-ignite" that flame on the left of the frame. The desat and selective colouring is the most subtle processing I've seen - excellent. :clap:

Can't wait to see next week's. :)

Jean

Hey Jean - thank you very much. You have no idea the amount of motivation I can draw from encouragement like that. Like every other newbie, I'm still finding my feet and sit back in awe to some of the truly inspiring pieces of work that is posted on here. So to hear a comment like that really makes me feel im settling into this photography game ok :) And yes, I agree, the blue final version was by far the strongest in the set, was very happy with the result I managed to achieve by listening to others giving me feedback.

Yeah I know, I think it more more the fact it was the first time i'd attempted something like that, and was a bit worried it didnt come off right.. Just needed some feedback to ease the mind after spending hours working away at it.

I am also glad you came into my thread, really cant beat the kind of crit you and Sarah have offered in these last 2 posts, really does help you better yourself. Looking at that flame again, I agree. Im going to go make a final edit, and make text legible, and the flame will reappear from the shadows, and that will be me done for week 2.
Thank you, I was very happy with how the selective colouring turned out, sometimes it can ruin a perfectly good image, so I was very careful that this wasnt the case, and im glad you can appreciate that also (y)

Hope to hear from you again next week. And il be sure to check out yours :)

Ok, here it is with the flame back in, and larger text.
Everything looking ok now? Or is there anything else iv missed/could be improved.

That last one is much better. I really like the partial colouration it suits this shot nicely. The lighting is spot on too. (y):clap:

That last one is much better. I really like the partial colouration it suits this shot nicely. The lighting is spot on too. (y):clap:

Yeah I agree John, glad you like it.
Cheers for taking the time to comment (y)

Great second weeks shot mate, better than any still life ive done :clap:. I can never be bothered setting everything up for one :LOL:

Great second weeks shot mate, better than any still life ive done :clap:. I can never be bothered setting everything up for one :LOL:

Cheers Neil.
Was quite happy with how it turned out in the end. OK for a first attempt I guess.

Ok, firstly, sorry for the delay.
Unfortunately a good friend of mine was killed in a car accident recently, and his funeral was held last weekend, so not been as motivated as previous weeks.
However, life goes on, and so must my 52.

I decided early on I wanted to get far away from obvious ideas that relate to the theme 'Chopped' After a few nightly lying in bed pondering the theme (generally where my best ideas come from) I decided on what I wanted to do.
Unfortunatly I needed props, and a model that wernt available to me at uni, so I had to wait until the weekend when I went back home.

Managed to get out for what was left of the light after work today, and captured some various angles and poses. However, I think im going to add a lot of PP to this one, and so what im posting is just a quick edit, and im hoping to get a final image ready by next week. Only posting now so I dont fall too far behind. (will get week 4 done in the next few days)

Ok, the idea behind this is a 'chopped' bag of limbs, being dragged behind an axe weilding maniac (my Dad :p) I wanted to experiment shooting in natural light for the first time, and play with different angles/shaddows etc.

Like I say, this is nowhere near the final image. I want to emphasise a moonlit forest, with an arm or a leg sticking out the bag properly (threw a quick 5 min job in for now)

Please let me know what you think. Good and bad, and let me know what areas need improved/adjusted for the final image.

Thanks for looking (y)

F4 , 4 Second Exposure , 400 ISO

Deepest sympathy for your loss of a friend.

Every time I found an edit to your poem theme and I had a planned a respone I found another one:bang: I think the last one does work best with the poem but I do like the only shot without the poem added. Loads of effort well paid off :clap:

Well titled for chopped if you did a old grainy edit it would be staight from the cover of a film. :eek: Scary

Deepest sympathy for your loss of a friend.

Every time I found an edit to your poem theme and I had a planned a respone I found another one:bang: I think the last one does work best with the poem but I do like the only shot without the poem added. Loads of effort well paid off :clap:

Well titled for chopped if you did a old grainy edit it would be staight from the cover of a film. :eek: Scary

Thanks Scott, appreciate that.

Haha yeah, I kept throwing more edits at it. I agree with excluding the poem from the shot. I still feel the text doesnt quite work just yet, and may require one more tweak to make it look right, perhaps lowering the opacity may work. But yets, I feel it works better without the poem, can appreciate the lighting more.

Yeah a grainy edit is going to be one of my first edits in PP, as like you say, would give it a film coverlike look, which I think would suit the title well. Depending how much time I have, I may try turn it into a film poster. If not this is somethign to consider anytime down the line when I have a spare few hours.

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

Had another little play with this today.
Still nowhere near happy. Think the colour looks ok, however the grain is overdone I think.
Still.. another step closer to completion I think.
Any comments?

I do like the colouring on the edit but the grain effect is a bit OTT. It's a great image and idea though, just sort out that processing.

I do like the colouring on the edit but the grain effect is a bit OTT. It's a great image and idea though, just sort out that processing.

Cheers Darren. Doing another edit just now (y)

Tried again... Happier with this one I think.
Anything else that could make this look better? Im all ears, want to make it as good as it can be :)

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your loss Rikki, and it's absolutely understandable that your mind wasn't completely on photography last weekend.

I can't tell you how much I admire the amount of effort that you're putting into your shots though. And it's really paying off. It's absolutely incredible that you've only had your camera since December!

Like your poetry theme, this week's shot tells a real story and I love it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I really like what you're trying to do with the edit and it almost works - just a bit too heavy with the grain I think.
As another alternative it would be interesting to see it with a pale blue tint instead to give it more of a moonlit feel . . .

So sorry to hear about your loss Rikki, and it's absolutely understandable that your mind wasn't completely on photography last weekend.

I can't tell you how much I admire the amount of effort that you're putting into your shots though. And it's really paying off. It's absolutely incredible that you've only had your camera since December!

Like your poetry theme, this week's shot tells a real story and I love it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I really like what you're trying to do with the edit and it almost works - just a bit too heavy with the grain I think.
As another alternative it would be interesting to see it with a pale blue tint instead to give it more of a moonlit feel . . .

Thanks Sarah, appreciate that. Back on track now though.

Thank you so much, Im glad you can see that im trying :p I dont like half assed attempts, so try and do something a bit 'out of the box'
Glad you think so, still a long way to go with my photography yet though, camera still doesnt feel natural enough for my liking, getting there slowly though (y)

In regards to your crit, I will go and have another play with the grain, just tweaking until its right. And as for the blue, I really like that and have a feeling it may just work. Will experiment with that also! Hopefully get another shot added tonight before bed.
Thank you once again for the useful feedback, really appreciate it :)

Ok heres a couple more edits for tonight. Let me know what you think and what can still be changed, and il get on it tomorrow. Feel this could be a strong image, and want it as good as possible for my book im going to get printed of my 52 this year :)

Lowered the grain, and adjusted tone to moonlit blue.

Emphasised grain around the borders, moonlit blue.

Grain around the edges, sepia.

Last edited:
Now working on a totally different angle, dont think its as strong as the one iv posted, but would work well with a series of these shots.
Will get it up in the morning.

Love the poetry shot, it's beautiful!
Cheers Natalie, Glad you like it :)

Hi rikki. I like the the sepia version, its a little bit eerie but in a good way.

Thank you Martin. Yeah it was an eerie/sinister kind of look I was trying to achieve, glad you picked up on this (y)

Last one for me dude - Sepia and Grain makes it uber atmospheric.

Chilling shot that...

Last one for me dude - Sepia and Grain makes it uber atmospheric.

Chilling shot that...

Cheers for your opinion Matt, im still split between the blue and the sepia. Both give totally different feelings. Think the blue is more natural, but the sepia gives it an old horror kind of feel.

Yep can see where you are coming from. I think I like the horror angle more because the Chopper is walking away and the shot reminds me of perhaps the last thing his victim saw!

Yep can see where you are coming from. I think I like the horror angle more because the Chopper is walking away and the shot reminds me of perhaps the last thing his victim saw!

Yeah i'm starting to agree with you.
Think the sepia gives it a much stronger theme, and the grain gives it a bit more impact aswell. Think il stick that as my chosen image for now (y)

Been difficult finding the themes I commented on already. I'm lost in all the 52s this year :LOL:

The last edit on the poetry is excellent! spot on (y)

Looking through your chopped, that last sepia one you've linked is by far my favourite. It's very chilling. Really like it. Although I like the blue, selenium, type of touch to it the sepia works better for me. Sledge hammer against the tree is a great touch by the way. Nice attention to detail ;)

Been difficult finding the themes I commented on already. I'm lost in all the 52s this year :LOL:

The last edit on the poetry is excellent! spot on (y)

Looking through your chopped, that last sepia one you've linked is by far my favourite. It's very chilling. Really like it. Although I like the blue, selenium, type of touch to it the sepia works better for me. Sledge hammer against the tree is a great touch by the way. Nice attention to detail ;)

Cheers mate (y) Dont worry about being late, Im still trying to catch back up to week 5! :LOL:
Yeah, not looked at these for a few days, but agree that is one of the stronger images from the set.
Away to post up the last few from the set in a few mins, and will hopefully get my week 4 up tomorrow :)

Nupe still liking the first set more. More chilling and story like IMO. Second set looks like he is worn out after chopping someone up!

Last few for week 3's set.
Another angle I quite liked. Tried to have it look as though someone was peering through the bushes at the 'Axeman' Really like the first of this set, as really looks like a moonlit shot, and I like the darkness and anonymity covering the face.

Will be getting week 4's up tomorrow. And then week 5 this weekend! Though still dont have any idea what im going to do for speed!

Blimey, how many chopped shots can one person post? ;)

I think the first and original is the one for me. The biggest issue I have with the shot is that you posted the exif and say it's a 4s exposure. I would expect a 'spy'/'candid' like this to be a grab shot at the highest possible ISO full of grain and raw grit, maybe a bit blurred as you hid quivering at the sight of an axe murderer burying his 'kill'.

First visit: :)

Curved: Of all the shots the first does it for me - love the curve of the bridge and the curves evident in the water - very nice!

Poem: What a great set up and poem - and I think the final version you've ended up with is the winner. Very atmospheric and well caught!

Chopped: Again much choice here but the one that does it for me is the B&W version of your final choice - there is something atmospheric and sinister about the scene and almost a story there that needs completing! I like it!

Blimey, how many chopped shots can one person post? ;)

I think the first and original is the one for me. The biggest issue I have with the shot is that you posted the exif and say it's a 4s exposure. I would expect a 'spy'/'candid' like this to be a grab shot at the highest possible ISO full of grain and raw grit, maybe a bit blurred as you hid quivering at the sight of an axe murderer burying his 'kill'.

Yeah iv put up a fair few :LOL: Was just exploring all the different angles available. Its keeping me ticking over until I can get my street done aswell! :)

I really didnt think about taking the shots like you have suggested, although after thinking about it now, its definitely something I wish I had expermimented with it when I was shooting now. Though because I am still such a novice with the camera, im obviously still trying to get my settings spot on for the capture, never mind having them deliberately noisy! :) Something I will definitely consider in the future now though! Thanks for the feedback Lee.

First visit: :)

Curved: Of all the shots the first does it for me - love the curve of the bridge and the curves evident in the water - very nice!

Poem: What a great set up and poem - and I think the final version you've ended up with is the winner. Very atmospheric and well caught!

Chopped: Again much choice here but the one that does it for me is the B&W version of your final choice - there is something atmospheric and sinister about the scene and almost a story there that needs completing! I like it!
Thanks for the visit John, hope it wont be your last :p

Cheers, out of the set that was also my favorite.

Yeah I had good fun setting that up, first time iv eperimented with anything like that. Was definitely a learning curve, and I am happy with the image I ended up with.

And for the chopped, I agree with you. I have been playing with so many alternative shots, some I like it blue, some in sepia. However, I think my favorite of the set is also that final black and white version. By far the most chilling and sinister of the set. Glad you like it also.
Thanks alot for the comments, really encouraging (y)

I'm not sure I fuly understand how this works (I have now assumed that the picture in the first post is the final one). But anyway, since it spoke to me, some C&C:

I like the overall feel of it, has a bit of a Stephen King thing going. Where is axman going? Or worse, what has he just done?

The only remark (but I have to admit, it could be my crappy laptop monitor) it seems as if his head is too dark to notice any detail. Not sure if it was aimed for, but it seems a bit off to me.

Hi Rikki.

Glad you tried out the blue effect, although after seeing both, with that first shot I think you were right with your choice of Sepia.
The final edit that you did in Sepia (post 58) is the clear winner for me (y)

I like the alternative pose that you've got in post 71 too. The one with the blue tint for me with this shot.
Would have been nice to have a bit more clarity on the axe in this version though - for me that's why it doesn't have quite as much impact as the original.

Hi Rikki.

Glad you tried out the blue effect, although after seeing both, with that first shot I think you were right with your choice of Sepia.
The final edit that you did in Sepia (post 58) is the clear winner for me (y)

I like the alternative pose that you've got in post 71 too. The one with the blue tint for me with this shot.
Would have been nice to have a bit more clarity on the axe in this version though - for me that's why it doesn't have quite as much impact as the original.

Hey Sarah, thanks for popping back :)

Yeah, I thought it was well worth trying out. It did produce some nice effects, though I think the sepia gives it the old horror movie look! Which works really well in my opinion.
I also agree that the final edit in post 58 i definitely the strongest entry for the chopped theme. However, I agree that had the axe been more 'in your face' in the alternate angle, I think this would have produced a better shot. I like the candid feel to this through the bushes.

I will be working tomorrow, but will definitely get my street shot and my speed shot posted up either sunday or monday night, ready to take on nexts week theme!

Best of luck for tomorrow matey! Look forward to seeing your results!

Ahem... which Sunday or Monday were you thinking of? ;)

Back