Daily MWHCVT(Matt's) Challenge 366 - 2012 - Now with added 5D3 Goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, love that. Great colours and love the lone tree. Can see it in an office somewhere.

Thanks I knew when I saw it last year that there was a great photo to be had from it and when I saw the lights potential this evening I thought that I would head off down there and capture it

Matt

I'm blown away by No 12. Fantastic. The wee tree just makes the picture perfect. I would have that on my wall.

I'm blown away by No 12. Fantastic. The wee tree just makes the picture perfect. I would have that on my wall.

Thank you :D It's comments like that, that really make the effort all worth it (y)

Another stunning shot. I would happily have that on my wall. The sky was a lovely colour at dusk and I missed it :(

Thank you, I'm pleased that your enjoying these as much as I'm enjoying taking them (y) it's a shame that you missed the colours :bang: I hope that you get some great photo's over this coming year of the colours, one thing that I always struggle with is making the most of great sky's so I've started to compile a list of locations that I want to get a sunset from (y)

Matt

Lovely shots. Nothing to add in the way of constructive criticism, just that. The sand one is particularly nice. How did you light it?

If you get the chance to do a step by step on your recipe for those lovely HDRs, I'd be very interested...

I'm sure I can sort something out at some point in the future (y) though I have to be honest and say it helps that the software I use is so easy to use (y) I use Dynamic Photo HDR (y)

I do try and avoid single file HDR though as I find they never seem as clean and nice a true bracketed shot so the first thing I can suggest is to ensure you know how to AEB (auto exposure bracket) on your camera (y)

I'm pleased that you like my latest photo's (y)

Thank you, I'm pleased that your enjoying these as much as I'm enjoying taking them (y) it's a shame that you missed the colours :bang: I hope that you get some great photo's over this coming year of the colours, one thing that I always struggle with is making the most of great sky's so I've started to compile a list of locations that I want to get a sunset from (y)

Matt

Its all jealousy! :sulk:

I love sky shots and I love talking sky shots, they do not always translate from what I see to 'film' but I am working on that. You manage to capture what I want to so definitely enjoying the shots.

I'm a wannabe sky chaser! Must take note of good vantage points for sky and horizon shots. Look forward to seeing more!

Its all jealousy! :sulk:

I love sky shots and I love talking sky shots, they do not always translate from what I see to 'film' but I am working on that. You manage to capture what I want to so definitely enjoying the shots.

I'm a wannabe sky chaser! Must take note of good vantage points for sky and horizon shots. Look forward to seeing more!

:LOL: you should see the speeds I drive when I see a great sky to get to a location :LOL: make sure when you see one that you like that you take bracketed shots' as that will give you flexibility (y) I did bracketed shots for todays but didn't use them in the end it's better to have them and not use them than to want to use them and not have them there to use :bang:

I think that we are all still learning (y) I have some photographers that the work the produce just blows my mind (y)

Matt

You really have set an amazing standard on the 366 so far! I have looked at pretty much every photo and said, "Wow!"

Keep it up!

You really have set an amazing standard on the 366 so far! I have looked at pretty much every photo and said, "Wow!"

Keep it up!

Thank you very much Ben, I have tried to keep each one really great (y) so it's good to know that I'm managing to do it (y) I only hope that I can keep this standard up :help:

Matt

Thank you very much Ben, I have tried to keep each one really great (y) so it's good to know that I'm managing to do it (y) I only hope that I can keep this standard up :help:

Matt

Must admit I thought the same. I am finding it hard to get good photos every day so I know how difficult it must be, especially when you did it last year too.

Must admit I thought the same. I am finding it hard to get good photos every day so I know how difficult it must be, especially when you did it last year too.

Thanks, I'm trying to decide if last year is an advantage to me or not, it's allowing reshoot one that I was not totally happy with last year but at the same time it makes me think, I did a photo there last year so I cannot do it again, but I'm working on the basis that if I do take the same thing as last year this time I have to improve on it (y)

I'm pleased that my efforts are getting rewarded thus far, I'm about to have a look at this evening POTD, it will be interesting as it didn't go quite as I was expecting :thinking:

Matt

Day 13 - Guy's Old House

The light was not nearly as great as I was expecting I had misjudged where the sun would set :( I guess I will have to try this location again in the future

This if Guy's Cliffe House, well the ruins of the House taken from the bank's of the River Avon next to The Saxon Mill :D

13/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi Matt,

Looks like you've had a really bust week. I particuley like your photograph of Chesterton great composition and tones - Nick

Hi Matt,

Looks like you've had a really bust week. I particuley like your photograph of Chesterton great composition and tones - Nick

Thanks Nick, it's been a really good week (y) I'm just wondering what is going to round of my week 2 in this years challenge :D

I'm pleased that you enjoying looking at these photo's (y)

Matt

Day 14 - Special Offer

If one is good, two is always better :D

This evening as the sun was setting I visited the wonderful little village of Sherbourne Warwickshire, to have a look at it's church, this is a rather splendid church, it is All Saint Church, and with this lake to the side of it, there was a photo opportunity I could not refuse, at 17mm it was just not possible to fit all of the church in so I had to take the photo in two parts and stitch them together

14/366 (379) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

I am soon to take delivery of a shiny new 8mm fisheye lens and I think that this location will be perfect to take that lens for a spin :D

When it came to process these one I got home I'm starting to wish I'd taken some extra photo's to give the photo a more normal aspect ratio but still I'm rather pleased with the final image :D

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi Matt, whilst browsing I noticed you had committed to buying a fish eye. Looks like a very good place for it to be used.

Indeed it will (y) I've got a 8mm Samyang on the way from the classifieds (y) and this will be exactly the type of location that I need it for (y) as soon as I processed this one for today I wished I'd too some more to give a more tradition ratio :bonk: live and learn I guess but the fisheye is going to be a very welcome addition to my lens line up :woot: I cannot wait for it to arrive :D

Matt

although I like the image Matt, I dont like the proportions of the framing OK it may look good as part of a triptych, as it looks a good panel (y) HYDM I guess you were doing a vertical pano different Ill give you that, may take a while to get my head around that idea

Last edited:
I very nearly brought a canon 15mm fisheye recently, didn't have all the cash so had to pass it up. It's one of those lenses I want, but I am up for a Siggy 50-500 os! To many choices!
I look forward to seeing the pics!

Well I've played with the SY 8MM in the past and for the money IMO it has quality far past it's price tag (y) but I have a massive list of "I'd like one of those" on my kit wish list :eek: rest assured there will be a fair number of fish eye pictures in the challenge and general forum (y)

although I like the image Matt, I dont like the proportions of the framing OK it may look good as part of a triptych, as it looks a good panel (y) HYDM I guess you were doing a vertical pano different Ill give you that, may take a while to get my head around that idea

I don't mind at all Dave, as soon as I'd edited it I was disappointed in myself for not thinking about taking some more shot's to fill in some on the left and right to make it a more normal shape :bang: I knew what I wanted out of this photo :D I think once I have my new fish eye I will be able to do this photo a lot more justice (y)

Matt

Its unbelievable how the reflection is so extended, but love its a mirror reflection

It is simply the most amazing location and that reflection is the reason that I went there (y) I will be visiting this location again in the future (y) on that you can rest assured, partially because I like the location and partially because I'm a little annoyed at myself for my ineptitude in not doing this location justice in this photo :bonk: it's one that as soon as I saw it I knew what I'd done wrong and I hate when I do something like that :(

That reflection is something special (y)

Matt

I don't mind at all Dave, as soon as I'd edited it I was disappointed in myself for not thinking about taking some more shot's to fill in some on the left and right to make it a more normal shape :bang: I knew what I wanted out of this photo :D I think once I have my new fish eye I will be able to do this photo a lot more justice (y)

Matt

I wouldnt be disappointed at all, it looks good, I think not doing "Normal Format" is always good, experiment or youll never know (y) what works and doesnt, cant wait to see your what your new lens produces on Monday hopefully[

Ive had a good day today went hunting the Snow Bunting (winter visitor bird), that has took up residence on winterhill made the massive walk (2miles up hill) exhilarating to say the least, very breezy, cold, didnt see it either, bit of a let down but I was in good company and we had a good laugh (y)

It is simply the most amazing location and that reflection is the reason that I went there (y) I will be visiting this location again in the future (y) on that you can rest assured, partially because I like the location and partially because I'm a little annoyed at myself for my ineptitude in not doing this location justice in this photo :bonk: it's one that as soon as I saw it I knew what I'd done wrong and I hate when I do something like that :(

That reflection is something special (y)

Matt

Its all trial and error Matt I like the shot to be honest I can see that broke into tiles for a Victorian fireplace like ours down each column, dont know if I showed it you or you noticed it as its screened off

Last edited:
I wouldnt be disappointed at all, it looks good, I think not doing "Normal Format" is always good, experiment or youll never know (y) what works and doesnt, cant wait to see your what your new lens produces on Monday hopefully[

Ive had a good day today went hunting the Snow Bunting (winter visitor bird), that has took up residence on winterhill made the massive walk (2miles up hill) exhilarating to say the least, very breezy, cold, didnt see it either, bit of a let down but I was in good company and we had a good laugh (y)

I know it's always good to try something different but when your the one that's taken it and your not happy with it, then you know it's not worked :LOL: hopefully the new lens should be with me on Tuesday, providing there are no courier issues (y)

It's a shame you didn't get the bunting :( but as you said at least the company was good (y)

Mat

Day 15 - A Beacon to Space

This evening I headed up to Burton Dassett with Darrel (thedodo) to do a bit of star trailing at the Beacon, I had planned to do the trails right at the top to also get a view of Warwickshire at night, however the weather was a little to windy at 650ft above sea level so we decided to try a little lower down where we could take some shelter behind the hills :D

15/366 (380) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

This is made up of 239 x 30 second exposure @ f/4 - ISO800 stacked using StarStax software (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
Great star trail.
I've been watching the conditions over the last few days dying to get out and do some but unfortunately circumstances have dictated otherwise!

just had a quick flick through this thread ,looking forward to see what else comes up through the year, i do like the shot of the arboretum i keep meaning to have another wander round (no excuses as i only live about 15 minutes away) and the sunset at chesterton windmill (somewhere else i mean to visit) ,star trails are spot on

Hi Matt, that is a superb star trail. Looks like a very good location. Waiting on a delivery of a timer remote, so hoping to do a start trail myself at some point.

Thanks :D it was a really great evening I was out with Darrell (thedodo) and it was flipping cold I'm sure he will post his star trail soon, we've both been a little distracted this last couple of days :(

Great star trail.
I've been watching the conditions over the last few days dying to get out and do some but unfortunately circumstances have dictated otherwise!

hopefully you will get out soon to do some, the conditions have been great it's a shame you've not been able to make the most of them

just had a quick flick through this thread ,looking forward to see what else comes up through the year, i do like the shot of the arboretum i keep meaning to have another wander round (no excuses as i only live about 15 minutes away) and the sunset at chesterton windmill (somewhere else i mean to visit) ,star trails are spot on

Thank you :D the arboretum is great and I will be heading there again this year (y) I'm lucky to have the windmill only a few minutes from my house :D I'm pleased you like my trails (y)

Matt

Star trails really nice Matt, love it :clap: how many shots and @what exposure

f/4 - 30 seconds - ISO800 and 1hr 59min 30sec of trails was supposed to be 2 hours but I messed up and missed the last exposure :bonk I'm pleased that you like it :D

Great trail, like the effect of it. Despite not being your original location, its worked out well!

Thank you indeed it works really well (y) I was very pleased with the location (y)

Just getting todays image finalised :D

Matt
MWHCVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back