My 52 week 9, added week 1 and week 5

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
I only joined this forum yesterday, so sorry for starting late.
This is my attempt at Mechanical.
mechanical%20entry.jpg

I have just started out in photography so any C&C's are welcome. if you know of a way I could have improved my shot please explain how.
looking forward to seeing your comments, including the bad ones.

I will try to catch up the previous weeks

lee

P.S I hope av entered this right

Last edited:
Hi Lee. I like it, lots of character. Could maybe do with a little more in the background. I chose canal locks this week too - seems very popular!

Catching up on the weeks.......
Chopped.JPG

Took this in the local country park, it was the best of the bunch. I was sat on the ground for about 30 mins trying to get the light right (I ended up with a damp ass). Am quite happy with it. All C&C welcome.

Welcome to the 52 Lee.

Mechanical is definitely that and your composition for it isn't bad. The other winder thingy in the background gives the picture some depth, I don't know if that was intentional or not. If not just watch your backgrounds as I know it's very easy to get to engrossed on the main subject and forget them. Good first submission though.

Chopped isn't bad either. I'd have been tempted to try and frame it so that you lost the green at the top and just had a border of brown leaves on the log. Could have been quite tricky depending on placement of everything. Getting right down on the ground and getting more of the green in may also have worked.

You'll be very brave to try and catch up, it's certainly not a requirement. Good luck with the rest of your 52.

Oh and reported to move this thread in with the other 52's so it doesn't get lost :)

Hi Lee and welcome to the 52 (y)
You might want to change your title to show which week you're on, otherwise this may get lost in with all the others.

Good start with your canal photo, and I really love the DoF.
I'm going to differ to the others and say that I'd like a little less background though.
I think you could get away with cropping quite heavily on the RHS to really focus in on the winder thingy. Personal preference rather than right or wrong, but it goes to show that there is more than one way of framing any particular shot.

Chopped is a good shot too - very nice sense of perspective there and some nice detail in the log.

Hi there Lee, welcome to the 52s :wave:

I like both pictures so far, they both have really good colours and textures. I like the strong composition and low angle in 'Chopped', and like Sarah I think the 'Mechanical' shot might benefit from less background so there's more of an emphasis on the gears. A good start, and good luck with the next 50 (y)

Kay.

I think I took about 50 shots of this before I got something I was happy with.
play.jpg

C&C welcome.

love the shot and the fact that all of the numbers are shown

yes i agree, uniform, i also took about 50 shot until i choose a keeper lol. wouldn;t think dice would be so dificult to shoot. keep it up.

Great shot of the dice - colour and composition really effective.
I am new here to :wave: - started with Mechanical last week and making that my number 1 post - I will just have to keep going until week 7 next year:LOL:

This guy at work has his life written all over his face, In his youth he was Anglesey arm wrestling champion.
tex2.jpg

I have to admit, I do find it hard taking pictures of faces.
C&C welcome

Nice dice Lee. Lighting and colour look spot on. I would prefer a more standard 3:2 crop rather than this though (I'm not a fan of non-standard crops) :)

Your people photo certainly has some character but is looking very flat. Introduce some contrast and/or play with level and curves to give everything a little more depth and texture.

All good shots Lee.. the dice is superbly put together... Mechanical is excellent as is People... and well done for getting a people shot. The weakest here is the chopped image. It's good, but I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better either from a lower angle (wet stomach and elbows as well as rear ;)) or from the side, across the chopped area.

Hi Lee,

Welcome to Talk Photography, and a 52. Brave man!

I think Play for me is the stand-out shot. Simple, well lit, nicely composed and well thought out with each number of the dice being shown.

People is the "could have been" for me. Is that a dusty environment? The portrait looks a little flat, and for someone with such a characterful face, I'd like to see a bit more contrast and punch.

Good luck with the rest of the year!

Ian.

Thanks Darren, John, Ian.

Your comments on People:
Yes it was a very dusty day, I didn't think the dust would affect the photo too much,,,, Lesson learnt.
I do agree it seems FLAT, any tips on how to prevent this?

Thanks for the positive comments on Play, I was quite pleased with it. And it was my second choice of subject, my first choice was the play button on my ipod shuffle but it just couldn't get it right.

Catching up on the weeks.....
Curves.JPG

Hope this counts for curves. Colwyn Bay yesterday

Lee I like both of those.. although the speed shot works for Curved too ;)...

For the dusty environment, try boosting the contrast a bit.

Back