My book is finally finished

Name
Jenny
Edit My Images
Yes
Some of you may recall that last year I set myself a personal challenge. Not quite a 365 but more than an 52. I was recording the wildlife found in my garden for a whole year. I ended up with about 240 images and the plan was to create a photobook.

I had not used Blurb before and the whole project took longer than I expected, but I have finally completed the book.

If anyone is interested, I would really love your feedback (positive or negative). You can see the preview at http://www.blurb.com/books/2180382

I would like also like to thank everyone who commented on my images last year and gave me enough encouragement to complete the project!

Jenny

had a skim through some of the pages. Some lovely images. :)

A beautifully illustrated guide through our four seasons with a lovely selection of images that really captures the feeling of the months passing by.

Well done!

Very impressed! I thoroughly enjoyed your images on last year's '52 and the book doesn't disappoint!

Phil

LOL, Lindsay, there is a story attached to the Goldcrest! You can see how I managed to take the shot in my original post about it last year at http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=3068504&postcount=137.

Jenny

Ah - so I'll have to hope something interesting flies into my window! They do that all the time, but unfortunately only great big Wood Pigeons - one of which once flew through (and smashed) the glass in the French windows - it was actually fine, but for a slight cut on its nose. I'm not sure the insurers believed me ...

Can I ask how you photographed the little Pipistrelle?

Had a quick flick through and looks fantastic.

Many thanks.

Very impressed! I thoroughly enjoyed your images on last year's '52 and the book doesn't disappoint!

Phil

Many thanks, Phil.

I have just noticed your blog. I will be along to visit it soon.

Ah - so I'll have to hope something interesting flies into my window! They do that all the time, but unfortunately only great big Wood Pigeons - one of which once flew through (and smashed) the glass in the French windows - it was actually fine, but for a slight cut on its nose. I'm not sure the insurers believed me ...

Can I ask how you photographed the little Pipistrelle?

We get all sorts of birds hitting the windows. I call it the silly season. We even had a sparrowhawk hit the window once. I think it overshot the bird feeder! It was just a young one and looked very embarrassed lying there on the patio.

We found the bat in our garage lying on the floor. We did not want to disturb it but it flew off and landed on the workbench which was really dirty and dusty. I took one of the photos with my little P&S and the other with my DSLR, but it was in a very difficult spot. I spent ages trying to clone out all the dust and spiders webs. We left the garage door open so that it could get out when it was ready, but I know we have them in the loft.

There are lots of bats around at night but I have seen them during the day several times. It may be a Soprano pip. My bat detector often registers about 55kHz, but I am not an expert.

Wildlife photography is very much a question of luck - being in the right place at the right time.

Jenny

Just flicked through and it looks great. Nicely laid out and some fantastic pictures. My only criticism would be that for me it's not the best choice of cover image. The actual book is a lot better than I expected it to be from the cover - not that there is anything wrong with the picture as such, I just think another image might have worked better.

I think it's because the white background makes it look a bit like a studio shot, which looks odd for a wildlife book. May be just a personal thing with me though.

Last edited:
Fantastic book with fantastic images. Well done. Wish I had a garden! :crying:

Just flicked through and it looks great. Nicely laid out and some fantastic pictures. My only criticism would be that for me it's not the best choice of cover image. The actual book is a lot better than I expected it to be from the cover - not that there is anything wrong with the picture as such, I just think another image might have worked better.

I think it's because the white background makes it look a bit like a studio shot, which looks odd for a wildlife book. May be just a personal thing with me though.

Thanks, Graham. That is useful feedback. The reason I used the Muntjac image is because it is probably the best photo I have ever taken. There was very little processing done on it - it is almost straight out of the camera. The white background is snow. That is why it was so close to the house. The cover also needed some plain space for the title.

I will wait until I get the printed version and see if I think any of the other photos would have looked better, before I get any more printed.

Fantastic book with fantastic images. Well done. Wish I had a garden! :crying:

Thanks, Nigel.

Just had a look,a really nice book a big (y) here

Thanks, Simon.

Jenny

Excellent with a nice simple layout. :cool:

A minor thing, but having the name of the month in the right hand headers for the relevant chapter might be handy when flicking through?

(I think the cover works well. :))

I don't look forward to Monday mornings, but these images has made it all the better.
Fantastic! We only get pigeons in our garden.

Love the book and it is inspiring but can I face all the hard work in doing something similar ....I doubt it very much.

Well done.

Excellent with a nice simple layout. :cool:

A minor thing, but having the name of the month in the right hand headers for the relevant chapter might be handy when flicking through?

(I think the cover works well. :))

What an excellent idea. Thank you. I will definitely do that before printing more copies.

I don't look forward to Monday mornings, but these images has made it all the better.
Fantastic! We only get pigeons in our garden.

Glad I helped to improve your day. I hate Mondays, too!

I would be prepared to bet that you get more than pigeons in your garden but just have not noticed.

Excellent work, lots of great images in there.

I'd hate to think how long it took to put together!

Many thanks. The main problem was that the standard Blurb templates did not fit the size of my images so I had to make my own :( Once I had done the templates, adding the images did not take long, but I'm afraid I am not good with words and that took ages.

Fantastic images great book

Many thanks, Adrian.

Love the book and it is inspiring but can I face all the hard work in doing something similar ....I doubt it very much.

Well done.

Many thanks, Chris. I think if you have a particular project in mind, it is well worth the effort.

Jenny

Just looked through the book - fantastic set of images, the layout works well. (y)

Some lovely images there Jenny. I think the most that comes into my garden are cats and the occassional bird!

Jenny, I think that is wonderful and a great achievement. Well done

Very very nice, easy to look at, and very well laid out, you have done a cracking job of it.

Well done

That is what I call a labour of love, Jenny, the book and the images are fantastic. Well done you must be so proud of it

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Peter:

Very very nice, easy to look at, and very well laid out, you have done a cracking job of it.

Well done

Thanks, Tony.

That is what I call a labour of love, Jenny, the book and the images are fantastic. Well done you must be so proud of it

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Peter:

Thanks, Peter.

Jenny

That's beautiful Jenny. Well Done :clap:

You know how much I enjoyed your photos throughout last year, but it's just amazing to see them all together in one place . . . and I think you may have sneaked a few in that didn't make your 52 thread too :nono:

You should be very proud - and I hope you enjoy it when you get your first printed copy.

That's beautiful Jenny. Well Done :clap:

You know how much I enjoyed your photos throughout last year, but it's just amazing to see them all together in one place . . . and I think you may have sneaked a few in that didn't make your 52 thread too :nono:

You should be very proud - and I hope you enjoy it when you get your first printed copy.

Hi Sarah, you are very observant. I think there are only 2 images that were not in the original 52 thread! I can't believe you spotted them.

Many thanks for your comments. I just hope the printed version comes out as well as the electronic one.

Fantastic work Jenny. I was watching it with real pleasure.

Well done :)

Many thanks, Tom.

Jenny

I had a scroll through your book and i must say that it contains some wonderful photos, a brilliant job indeed , well done

I cant tell you how impressed I am Jenny! I thought it was beautiful and well worth the wait. I bet you cant wait to look at in the flesh, hold it love it and be proud!!! Well done (y)

Superb effort i really enjoyed looking through you work (y)

Regards

Richard

It looks really good to me. Consistently high quality images. (y)

I've spent months on and off trying to put together my new photobook, (though procrastination has slowed me down) and I've got hardly any text in it, so I salute the amount of work you have put into it. :clap:

Well done. (y)

Nice piece of work, Jenny, with beautiful images and great layout :)

You should be very proud

Great images Great book looked through it twice.

I do want your back garden thou.

Back