My homemade studio in a small space

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
We dont have a very big house and with three young children we have toys etc everywhere. This means there isnt a wall without something against is

So here's my idea for a backdrop without buying a stand... for now. It's a king size bed sheet with elastic sown on each end by my better half. I've put two hooks up, one in the wall on the right and one in the door frame above the fish tank. In the bottom of the first photo yopu can see the top of the sofa. I was sat on the window sill when I took this which is a couple of foot from the back of the sofa. I didnt today but i can move the sofa right back to the window for more space and I can move the fire gaurd too.

EDIT _MG_4937 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr
EDIT _MG_4941 copy by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

It's by no means perfect but it's a start. The sheet needs the creases taking out. I turned off the fish light, but I will cover it in future to prevent and stray light reflections from flashed. I also closed the door behind to stop light coming through. I was quite close so will definatly move the sofa back in future. But these are creases that I can iron out... so to speak

My little models were on one today and having loads of fun and seemed very happy to pose for Daddy.

Before edit
UN EDIT _MG_4988 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

After edit
EDIT _MG_4988 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

EDIT _MG_4960 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

EDIT _MG_4986 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

EDIT _MG_5017 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

I used a second speedlight to light the background in some of the shot and some of those I put a coloured cellophane over the flash. My wife has some for arts and craft stuff.
EDIT _MG_4998 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

I managed to drag the boy off the Wii for a couple
EDIT _MG_5010 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

And got one of Mel too
EDIT_MG_5022 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

It was an enjoyable afternoon for us all and I have lots of ideas on where to improve my set up. But if you have any suggestions please feel free to say. :)
I'll start a crit thread for the photos tomorrow, these are just to show what I got from my set up.

EDIT: Crit thread here

Last edited:
I remember reading something about keeping your subject a small distance away from the back drop, something to do with light bounce,
but there again I have never done anything like this yet :)

In fact I think I was watching one of Garys ? video

I remember reading something about keeping your subject a small distance away from the back drop, something to do with light bounce,

Thanks
I agree, some where to close. But some of them they where about a metre from the backdrop, but I was too close to them. That's why I need to move the sofa back next time. Hopefully the background will be more bluured due to dof then saving me the hassle of using gausian blurr

Try using a reflector on the other side to lift some of the darkness from the other side of their faces.
The one of your wife is the best one so far, for me anyway.
Keep trying with different light positions etc.

Thanks. I was trying single flash lighting with the exception of the background. I was trying Rembrandt lighting, but its difficult on little people who don't keeps still lol. I will give a reflector a go next time (y)

I think you've done well managing to keep it up and not pulling the plaster down - well not you but the kids, you need eyes everywhere ! Just carry on building on what your doing, a reflector is a good idea :)

Here's an alternative suggestion - why not just use the room itself as the background? The results will be more natural, and will be easier to achieve too.

Here's an alternative suggestion - why not just use the room itself as the background? The results will be more natural, and will be easier to achieve too.
Thanks Garry. I've been doing those too but really wanted to try some background shots.

are you happy with all those creases in the background?
Nop. This little shoot was all about seeing how it would work. I defiantly need to iron the sheet first in future and save the hassle of sorting the background in ps.

So regrets with my little 'bodge' studio in this shoot are not moving the sofa back for more speration between camera, subject and background and not bothering to iron the sheet which was fresh out its wrapper.

What Ive found out so far is that I need a reflector and to play more with lighting.

Other plans are to clip other backgrounds, eg Xmas themed, to the sheet.

Try a paper background instead.
That's the plan. Id really like a proper stand and at least a paper roll but I have spent far too much on various kit this year and Xmas is just around the corner. If i get a strand id rather just get a goodun to start with rather than a £25 from amazon. This idea is to get me started with a backdrop and allow me to get some practice in for now.

Try a paper background instead.
A paper background would be better without a doubt, but expensive - and especially when kids are being kids, paper is very easily damaged.

The point that I was trying to make earlier is that it can be difficult, in a limited space, to get good results with any kind of background, and there's absolutely nothing even remotely 'professional' about having a background anyway. Some of the very best portraits are in fact environmental portraits, for example where a violin maker is photographed in his messy but interesting workshop, and photographing young kids bouncing around on their own settee is often a good option...

Like this :(

EDIT _MG_4997
by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Back