My pics in the Press

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Found out today that a series of shots I took of an osprey being chased off by a mallard and a tufted duck, made it to the national press on Friday.

The Daily Mail version can be seen here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ucks-fighting-lives-make-cunning-escapes.html

And if you're a member of The Times Online, log in and search for "osprey" to their version.

I'm grinning from ear to ear :D and rather proud. Here's one of the images they used in the piece.

6014352442_1c9e90d02e_o.jpg

More images can be seen on both my Flickr account and on my website, in the Birds Of Prey section.

Was an amazing incident to watch. Just a mild-mannered mallard... :D

:):):)

Excellent shots, it must be a great feeling to have them used in the national press

Nice one, and not just for getting the Osprey!
I think ducks are a bit meaner than we think.

I saw something similar (it involved a duck), two herons were having a fight, it looked like one was trying to drown the other, when a shellduck waded in :D and chased them off.

Well done Pete well deserved :clap::clap:

I've no idea how much is involved - that's a nice bonus. The main thing for me is getting noticed and maybe getting a few more people watching what photography I get up to.

And hopefully putting a smile on my Dad's face, after what's been a horrid time of late.

Great shot there Pete, makes a nice change from the taking fish shot.

Tim.

cracking pic - that is one Duck with attitude!

Very,very impressive.

...and a nice fat cheque coming in the post. :)

Really hope they manage to put the decimal point in the right place on the cheque :clap: Very well deserved indeed Pete.

Di

congratulations Pete! Fantastic image and great publicity for your work :)

Thats a great image mate well deserved (y)

Regards
Richard

let us know how much that cheque is for...well done
Why all the interest in how much he is going to get. Would you ask everyone else on here how much they earn.:nono:

Well done Pete. It's great to get your work noticed.(y)

Super set of images.

Why all the interest in how much he is going to get. Would you ask everyone else on here how much they earn.:nono:

Well done Pete. It's great to get your work noticed.(y)

Super set of images.

Well said. Unless he is a pro surely the satisfaction in getting the photo is the main achievement and the recognition of being shown in a National Paper is second, with the amount a third and relatively minor issue. Having said that I hope it's enough to be able to buy the next item on your wish list of equipment.

Great photo.

Well said. Unless he is a pro surely the satisfaction in getting the photo is the main achievement and the recognition of being shown in a National Paper is second, with the amount a third and relatively minor issue. Having said that I hope it's enough to be able to buy the next item on your wish list of equipment.

Great photo.

If amateurs give their pictures away for free to the nationals - and others - then very soon there will be no pro photographers!! These pictures should fetch at least £100 each. Why would you not want to be paid? It is not a minor issue!!

If amateurs give their pictures away for free to the nationals - and others - then very soon there will be no pro photographers!! These pictures should fetch at least £100 each. Why would you not want to be paid? It is not a minor issue!!

Why do you have to insist on thread cr***ing all the time? Just congratulate the guy and move on (and congrats Pete, great shots!). No need to mention money at all.

Sad :shake:

There is a huge need to mention money - didn't you read my post? Don't you care about professional photography? I have congratulated the OP by PM. There just seems to be no way to get the message across to some people - makes me sick really!!

**Mod edit**
We can all do without the name calling thank you !

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a huge need to mention money - didn't you read my post? Don't you care about professional photography? I have congratulated the OP by PM. There just seems to be no way to get the message across to some people - makes me sick really!!

Andrew, it isn't what you say, its the way you say it sometimes. Congratulating the OP publically, whilst banging your drum, would also do your 'campaign' a lot more good and perhaps make people actually actually listen and support you a bit more. Just a thought....

Well done for getting some nice shots published. (said also in PM)

I am very passionate about the subject of photograpehrs being ripped off - and the state of the profession and how many amateurs are contributing to the downfall of professional photography. The OPs pics are great - very worthy of publication - and well worth being paid for. As I said - around £100 per image - why would you not want to be paid?

Last edited:

**Mod edit**
We can all do without the name calling thank you !

I definitely agree that us amateurs should start charging for our images but we are torn between giving images away for free to try and make a name for ourselves and get some press coverage to boost our portfolios for the future and getting no coverage because we've tried to charge for them and the media has looked elsewhere. Its a hard one to decide on, ive been in the same position and tried charging for some sport stuff and the paper didnt bother using them instead opting for old stock image lol!!. I do, however, agree that if photos are given away for free it does the photography industry no good.

Do you think they would have published the article if the OP had tried charging for the images?? (Im assuming here that Pete didnt get a commission so apologies if you did ;))

Back to the topic though, excellent images mate well done. Bet your very pleased, and so you should be (y)

Last edited:

and here we go again.................

An amateur / hobbyist sends in an absolute cracker of a pic and everyone thinks ££££

Sometimes it's about the hobby.

I often send pics into the EDP - and have several published - (albeit local - woohoo not national) am I depriving a pro of their work :shrug: my guess is, in this instance, if no pro offered such an amazing image for £££.........correct me if I am wrong, but I've not seen a pic of a mallard chasing an osprey before...

Good luck on the tog if he's happy to be in print in nationals.

All the pro's who whinge, go take better ones and submit with the £tag,., Simples. :LOL:

And yes when it comes to pro / non pro., my yorkie puds p*** all over "Aunt Bessies".

Agree with Lynton about this. Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Great captures and congrats on getting in print and making the nationals at that superb stuff.... hope it gives you a foot in the door...(y)

Many many many many congrats.

It's a truly stunning shot.

To all the morons banging on about getting paid, :razz:
I've also had a few published in papers recently, AND didn't get paid.

My pictures, my choice.

But sadly, as proud as I was, I didn't say a word about it on the forum.
Why? Because you would start exactly what you have started here.

Makes me sick.........

and here we go again.................

An amateur / hobbyist sends in an absolute cracker of a pic and everyone thinks ££££

Sometimes it's about the hobby.

I often send pics into the EDP - and have several published - (albeit local - woohoo not national) am I depriving a pro of their work :shrug: my guess is, in this instance, if no pro offered such an amazing image for £££.........correct me if I am wrong, but I've not seen a pic of a mallard chasing an osprey before...

Good luck on the tog if he's happy to be in print in nationals.

All the pro's who whinge, go take better ones and submit with the £tag,., Simples. :LOL:

And yes when it comes to pro / non pro., my yorkie puds p*** all over "Aunt Bessies".

:clap::clap::clap:

I'm really starting to like you mate :)

Brilliant image and great attitude about the situation.

I've had my videos posted across famous cycle related websites and it's the best feeling ever, knowing it's in the spotlight. I've recently started filming for club promoters, it's really rewarding and the money doesn't bother me at all. My names getting out there, that's all i care about, if i get paid (which i usually do quite well but that's beside the point) then it's a bonus.

Congrats again,

Tom

It's only a matter of time befoire all the papers are full of free amateur pics and nothing else - mostly of poor quality - though not in this case. It is NOT about quality - it's about free - why the hell can't any of you see that? However the OP assures me he is getting paid this time.

Last edited:
Back