My pics in the Press

I can see it, i feel if you do good work, you should be rewarded.

In this case it's a double whammy, press publication + ££££

It's only a matter of time befoire all the papers are full of free amateur pics and nothing else - mostly of poor quality - though not in this case. It is NOT about quality - it's about free - why the hell can't any of you see that? However the OP assures me he is getting paid this time.

Thank goodness for that.
Wouldn't want to see anymore 'pros' out of pocket.

(Either that or he just told you that to shut you up)......

T
Wouldn't want to see anymore 'pros' out of pocket.

Really? Why not give your pics away then - instead of trying to sell them from your website?
All my pictures on the website can be bought

Does that not make you a semi pro?

Thanks all. Some very kind comments. :)

For the record, I was contacted by an agency after they said they'd seen my images on Flickr. One of the sequence had been featured on their Explore page and had a fair few hits and comments as a result.

They asked me if I was interested in a deal, with them creating the article and distributing it, and me providing the story and shots. I agreed.

I'd rather this thread didn't stray off into an argument about being paid for photos. I'm fully aware of the issues of being in an industry where people offer their work for free.

And please stop calling me "the OP" :D

I can definately see it from both side. I can see that some amateurs want to keep photography purely as a hobby and are not interested in moving into the professional arena so in that case why cant they send their free images in?

But also from a pro-s point of view, free images can dilute the paid jobs a professional needs to make a living.

I suppose as a builder its like a DIYer taking on jobs for free that I would charge for just because they enjoy DIY. That would severley chap my ass and make me go on a bit of a rant in all honesty!!

Me personally, as a guy who would love to become a professional photographer, I have given away my images before for free just so I can build a decent portfolio of printed materials. I hope this will help me get a job in the future or enable me to become freelance if i ever get to that standard. In some cases ive been photographing a sports event and have been asked if my photos are available for press usage, when I said 'yes at £50 a pop' they laughed and approached another guy who was happy to give his away. So in the end I had no images in the press and didnt make any money anyway where the other guy had several large images printed with a nice accreditation.

hmmmm....tough argument and one I feel no one will ever agree on

Last edited:
Duck_Pond said:
Thanks all. Some very kind comments. :)

For the record, I was contacted by an agency after they said they'd seen my images on Flickr. One of the sequence had been featured on their Explore page and had a fair few hits and comments as a result.

They asked me if I was interested in a deal, with them creating the article and distributing it, and me providing the story and shots. I agreed.

I'd rather this thread didn't stray off into an argument about being paid for photos. I'm fully aware of the issues of being in an industry where people offer their work for free.

And please stop calling me "the OP" :D

It wasn't caters newsagency was it? I had a few "paid" publishes through them and had a mare getting my cheques!! And of course there is their 50% fee :( lol

andy_fozzy said:
To all the morons banging on about getting paid, :razz:
I've also had a few published in papers recently, AND didn't get paid.

My pictures, my choice.

But sadly, as proud as I was, I didn't say a word about it on the forum.
Why? Because you would start exactly what you have started here.

Makes me sick.........

I'm in the same boat Andy, except I've been paid for my publishes but wouldn't want to rock the boat.. afterall I only got paid the various magazines picture rate, and that's no where near what some on here would call worth while. :)

Only one reason fees are not worthwhile any more! Too many people giving pics for free!

Hi Pete
I would firstly like to congratulate you on an extremely well captured shot and further getting it published. I am sure there will be more to come in the future as your photography is of a high standard already.

I am sure your Dad is proud of you either with such a great capture or not, just that he may be a little bit more now.

I thoroughly enjoy your posts and every time I log on to TP I always take time to view your posts and a few other regulars. It always rejuvenate my enthusiasm in photography and provides me with something to aspire to.
Thanks for sharing the shot with us all.

Regards
Paul.

Thanks Paul - that's a very kind thing to say. :)

Apparently the shots were also used for a Scottish paper, due to the location of the incident. Someone is sending me a scan of that. :)

Dunkeld Pete?

A big congraulation, I bet you (and yer dad) are well chuffed.

I saw the other image you took on the ipad version of the Times the other day, thinking what a cracking image, not realising it was one of our TP members :)

Great shot and well done on getting it published!

I'm sure it made your dad smile, bet he's so proud to see his son's shot in the paper. :)

Congratulations :clap::clap: and I sincerly hope you and your dad feel proud.

Had a look at the others on flickr fascinating (y)

Congratulations Pete! They are stunning shots. Very well done!

Back