My successful LRPS panel

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from my other thread on the 'journey' I'm undertaking with the Royal Photographic Society I thought I'd post the images and Hanging Plan too, along with an explanation; I was awarded the distinction of LRPS yesterday in Birmingham

For the L (Licentiate) award in prints, you need to show 10 mounted images showing a range of techniques that work as a cohesive panel. The Hanging Plan shows how they were arranged in 2 rows of 5 to create an initial 'image'

As I've not managed to figure out how to insert the photos into this thread this morning !!! lol - I've settled for a link to the TP Gallery they are in...

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/albums/my-successful-lrps-panel.440/

Generally, anyone aiming for this spends weeks, even months, shooting to put together a cohesive panel of images in a range of techniques to show technical competence and a level of artistic ability too. I even had advice from one LRPS chap who told me he took a year planning it and a year to shoot it, as well as attending 3 RPS Advisory Days too

So I set myself the challenge of shooting the entire panel in ONE DAY !!! :)

These are NOT a collection of my best images from my day out in Leeds, but they are the ones that sit best together - and that's important too

Why do it in one day???

Well, aside from proving it can be done, I'm also considering offering my mentoring services to help others to achieve this prestigious award - so if you're interested in having an aim to improving your photography - let me know and if there is enough interest I'll set up a new advert on here for a day's tuition & shooting

Oh - and all of these images were actually shot within 6 hours of starting - it was a good & fun day out

I've already shot a panel for the next level of Associate, which I'm aiming to do this year too. The ARPS is much harder to achieve so I did a 'test' shoot on a long weekend away in London in February, as it happens that test shoot's images look like they may turn out to be the actual panel - which is nice :)

Cheers

Dave

PS - I will post the photos individually when I find out how :D

Was there a theme you had to follow? The reason I ask if some of the photos are rather average, the poster one for instance, but I didn't know if they were part of an overall theme/story.

Was there a theme you had to follow? The reason I ask if some of the photos are rather average, the poster one for instance, but I didn't know if they were part of an overall theme/story.

Nope - no theme at all is needed for the L, but it is for the A & F

As for 'average' - the L isn't about putting together an amazing display of your best ever work, its about creating a set of images that work together and show a range of technical abilities in camera use and composition, exposure etc. Amazing, Flair, Awesome, etc. really aren't needed at this level

For a great many people the L is a great achievement and there were some highly delighted people passing yesterday, just as a few looked close to tears for failing, so if you feel these are merely average then you might want to skip the L and go straight to the A - if you wanted to go for a distinction that is. If so, then yes shoot to a theme :)

Dave

hTHat's a nice set of images there.

Although I went straight to the A, I'm told that it is a step up from the L panel in terms of quality and the assessors expectations. And the F is a big step up again, as I found out when my F panel failed with flying colours last year!

hTHat's a nice set of images there.

Although I went straight to the A, I'm told that it is a step up from the L panel in terms of quality and the assessors expectations. And the F is a big step up again, as I found out when my F panel failed with flying colours last year!

Yep - that certainly seems to be the case as (generally) A & F panels are outstanding bodies of work that often take a considerable amount of time & effort. I say 'generally' as there are a few I've seen which I just don't understand as, although the images and panel looked great, they were certainly not a hard thing to shoot and in some cases can also have been done in just a few hours at most without actually moving your feet much lol

Are you re-submitting an amended panel for your F then Andy ??? Minor changes or a complete rethink ???

Dave

Dave

The feedback I had was that the issue was more around the post processing and printing of the images - my 'seeing' was good. I've since been on a digital monochrome workshop and bought a new printer so I'm reworking some of the images and putting some new ones in as well. Probably be next year before I re-apply - you only get 2 chances at an F so this time they have to be spot on!!!

you only get 2 chances at an F so this time they have to be spot on!!!

I didn't know that bit !!! The meanies :(

Very annoying to get some cracking images and then fail due to printing :(

Fingers firmly crossed for your next attempt then - but I guess you can go to the advisory days more than twice ???

Dave

Everything has to be right, if not better than that, at F level, and to a slightly lesser extent at A level. I do my own printing, so the buck stops with me. I'm not in a rush though, and I'm kind of distracted preparing and doing talks at camera clubs this year anyway.
As for the advisory days, there's some odd rule about them at F level, can't remember what it is. Something like you can't go to one if you've already submitted once, I'll have to check the RPS website.

Interesting set of images and even more interesting doing it all in a day ... food for thought :)

Well done on passing your L award. I went and pressed on the link straight away and was thinking I'm sure that is Leeds there lo' and behold I go back to read the post and find out it is Leeds! I pass through Leeds on the train every week day at the moment so I've seen a lot of those scenes before. It's definitely given me some food for thought...

I've a long way to go yet and I may well take you up on your tuition eventually but its reassuring to come across someone who has passed. I'm a member of the RPS but I've always been worried about how difficult it would be to pass. I've just signed up to do an online photography diploma so hopefully that will help me to improve my skills along the way!

Thanks for sharing :)

I'm glad I'm inspiring others to have a go - it really is something good to aim for, especially the newer you are to photography

I actually started the ball rolling on it because I was pushing a pal of mine to go for it. She first picked up a camera less than 3 years ago, and she's advanced so quickly I'll be pressing her towards her own ARPS panel for next year :)

Its not really about the getting the Distinctions so much as the effort & improvements it takes on the journey to getting them

Dave

I thought I might see your panel today Dave, but if it was hung I missed it.

I think it's a cracking job doing it in a day, and it's definitely a great thing to aim newbies at.

Nicely balanced panel Dave, that shows your ability to handle the camera in various lighting situations and also the use of movement/blur in the images and use of differential focus. Several of the images show a great eye for a picture, so all in all just what the assessors are looking for in an "L" panel.

Congrats again!

Nicely balanced panel Dave, that shows your ability to handle the camera in various lighting situations and also the use of movement/blur in the images and use of differential focus. Several of the images show a great eye for a picture, so all in all just what the assessors are looking for in an "L" panel.

Congrats again!

Were you there at my panel's assessment David ???

Cos that's pretty much what they said in summing it up too :)

And thanks

Dave

I wasn't there, but I do intend trying for an RPS distinction this year so will attend an awareness day soon. I first got my LRPS with black & white prints rather a long time ago (decades!!!!!), so am trying to be a bit more serious again now to see if I can still do it.

Happy to report that my AWPF (Associate of the Welsh Photographic Association) certificate arrived this very day, so am very pleased with myself.

Dave.

Back