My thoughts on 5DII and Unified Magic Lantern

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, I thought I would post a few of my favourite things about the BETA unified magic lantern firmware on the 5D2 (requiring firmware 2.1.1). It requires a donation to the Magic Lantern fund (probably as low as £0.01) and it is potentially unstable but lots of people say it rarely freezes.

It is fantastic, genuinely amazing. There as SO many useful features I have found so far for both photography and videography.

In no particular order:

- Focus peak "tiny dots on focused edges"
Great for anything using live view, especially when you don't want to be staring at the screen trying to find focus.

- Magic zoom "zoom box for checking focus"
Gives a magnified view to one side of the centre making manual focus easier

- LCDsensor remote
You can use the LCD brightness thing to take pictures!!!! You can choose either, wave in front and it works. Or put your finger really close and it works. Or really close, mirror up, take away, photo taken. FANTASTIC if you want to do macro and don't want to use timer. Can also use audio as a trigger but I have not tried this.

- Motion detect
In live view mode and it takes a picture when it detects motion in the centre. How cool?! I am going to set this up next to the bird table tomorrow and see what it can do.

- Trap focus
In MF it will take a picture as soon as the centre is in focus. Could be very useful.

- Follow focus
In live view and most importantly during videos, you can use the little directional stick to focus in and out WITHOUT the camera changing any exposure settings. So really neat.

- REVIEW SETTINGS
If you're a pixel peeper (like me) then this is very valuable. It can make the review in the Play mode rather than normal review. As in, you take a picture and can ZOOM in on the review without having to press play. It can also modify the speed of the zooming in.

-Dim display
Lots of adjustments for auto dim and auto off display.

- Battery life remaining prediction in hours and minutes

-Shutter count and liveview actuations (mine are 470 and 227 hahaha! you can see what I have been doing with my 5D2)

I hope this is helpful to someone. If so, please leave a comment so I will update the thread with anything else I find. If no one shows any interest I won't bother.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Sounds amazing and I'm jealous that my 7d will probably never be able to run ML :( I'd particularly love to have that zoom on review as gets frustrating having to do it manually to check sharpness!

Sounds amazing and I'm jealous that my 7d will probably never be able to run ML :( I'd particularly love to have that zoom on review as gets frustrating having to do it manually to check sharpness!

Yeah I've only had my body a few days and it was bugging me. Though I keep forgetting now and pressing play after a shot only for the review to disappear (as ML already put it into play mode). I can even go (if the setting is chosen) as far as to instantly jump to 100% crop the instant you press zoom in.

Rajkay said:

U can run ML on any Canon DSLR!

7D has issues due to its dual processor apparently.
Installed ML on my 550 yesterday,and I must say its impressive.

I love it. I left it at the end of my garden pointing at bird food for about an hour until the battery went flat (it started at 100%!!) with motion detect on.

About 20 shots of a fat pigeons arse. Then one with anything much in focus.
(not cropped, 200mm, 5D2)
IMG_9528.jpg

- REVIEW SETTINGS
If you're a pixel peeper (like me) then this is very valuable. It can make the review in the Play mode rather than normal review. As in, you take a picture and can ZOOM in on the review without having to press play. It can also modify the speed of the zooming in.

A quick update (and bump). I stuck a new CF card in without magic lantern on it the other day... and suddenly realised how useful the review modifications are!

So I have been taking for granted several things.
- When my image comes up for review, it is actually "play" mode so I can scroll between old images too. Great for panoramas.
- Fast zoom. So I would guess it's twice as quick as standard and can be set even quicker. But when I press zoom in, it does so with haste. Great for those "are the eyes in focus" moments.

One other thing worth mentioning, to format the card (how I wipe the images) Magic Lantern backs itself up and then puts itself back on the card. To speed this up (from 10 seconds to 3 seconds) you can delete both the instructions PDF and the extracted pages under the folder "DOC". This gives a much MUCH reduced formatting time.

Back