Tutorial My tutorial to my smoke art images.

Nice Tutorial

Tried this myself a wee while ago using an old desk lamp with a Nikon D50.

Bit grainy but I enjoyed it and hope to get some better ones next time.

Parrot
2127427258_236d0e57a7_m.jpg

Long Jump
2126488331_d8a2e35d62_m.jpg

Insect
2126487465_197b7c2f1a_m.jpg

Robot
2127259386_77243e932e_m.jpg

Donnie Darko
2127257964_ec21639f3a_m.jpg

Thanks for posting this, I might give it a try tomorrow. It looks quite fun, I might even try it with video too :)

amazing tutorial, thank you so much for sharing your technique with us.

Would like to thank you for the tutorial Matt (y) I have had a couple of attempts but still not got something that makes me 100% happy as yet. Will keep on trying though.

Smoke Trail
29qi1y0.jpg

Edited Mushroom
2m83wbt.jpg

Looks interesting must give it a go
Thanks for sharing
Dave

These are amazing !!! +1 for giving it a go myself, albeit on a budget....
look out for my desklamp / table cloth version coming soon.... ;)

thx for sharing :)

Excellent tutorial Matt, many thanks!

Set mine up exactly as you recommend, only difference is I am having to use a Ring Flash off camera which does give some flare unless it is just right.

Great photoshop tutorial too!

My best attempt so far...

smoke1.jpg

Will keep practicing!

Thought I best post a reply to all the comments.
Cheers guys for the feedback. Glad you all liked the tutorial.

Looks really good with some amazing effects must give it a go
Dave

Sorry for the thread revival but just got around to trying this. Again, a huge thanks for the tutorial, I would not have known where to start without it.

A couple of decent ones from the 300+ shots I took on my first try ! (as always this looks easier than it actually is) ...

4399397746_04f49faf0b.jpg

2 - Incense Geanie ?
4399396948_d36395c8f7.jpg

Thanks for looking, c+c always welcome

Last edited:
sweet ,everyone has a reason to start smoking again:LOL:

nice work mate defo gonna try this thanks:wave:

I've followed this tutorial its amazing!!

Free bump! And thank you for taking the time to do this!!

My best so far.............

combine.jpg

going to try this tomorrow

These photo's are incredible! I want to do some of this to use for some brochure work, I have a Jessops 360AFD but I don't have a hotshoe cable to get the flash off camera. Think I could just use a tripod for the camera with a timer and fire the flash manually while holding it?

These photo's are incredible! I want to do some of this to use for some brochure work, I have a Jessops 360AFD but I don't have a hotshoe cable to get the flash off camera. Think I could just use a tripod for the camera with a timer and fire the flash manually while holding it?

That's exactly what I done yesterday. worked out quite well(y)

Wow - what a great tutorial - want to have ago at this right now but need black card and sticks! Thank you for the tut.

Off to ebay to find black card! :)

Many thanks for the tutorial. I enjoyed a lot taking these photos.
Please excuse my English, it is not my language but I really wanted to say thanks and share a few photographs that I've taken. They didn't go through PS (I'm not used to PS) I've adjusted light in levels & curves menu in Capture Nx

DSC0056_01.JPG

DSC0084_01.JPG

DSC0095_1_01.JPG

Bye, thanks

hayley.price said:
Heyy when i tried this on manual and auto I had loads of trouble getting it to focus any idears on how to get a betta focus?

I had similar issues and probably cos you were either too close to the smoke or there was some light spilling onto the black background. I gave up but need to try again soon.

Here's a couple I did the other day when the weather was rubbish.
"Rainbow Smoke"
6818691347_9d20ba3d4e_b_d.jpg

"Mutant Bug"
6823263793_25d61338a2_b_d.jpg

My technique differs slightly to the OP's tutorial.
I use f16, 1/250th ISO 100
I have the flash set to full power with a snoot on pointing directly at the smoke source.
At 1/250th shutter speed you can shoot the smoke in ambient light as it wont record at that shutter speed thus you don't always need black card.

Hayley - check to make sure you are within your minimum focusing distance. Pre focus on the incense stick then switch your lens to manual focus so it doesn't change during shooting.

I had similar issues and probably cos you were either too close to the smoke or there was some light spilling onto the black background. I gave up but need to try again soon.

The way I do this is to put the camera on a tripod, focus on the end of the incense stick, then recompose so that the stick is just out of shot. I use f11 to f16, then make sure the lens/camera is set to manual so that it doesnt try and hunt for focus when you set the camera off.

Hey just wanted to upload some of my own to get some feedback if thts okay? lol :)
[IMG]

Last edited:
Back