Natalie & Robert's Wedding

I've looked at these twice and I keep thinking the blacks are too black. I'm all for contrasty mono pics but this a bit OTT for me I'm afraid.

There's also a couple which I think would be better in colour - particularly the shot of the groom and best man and the OCF shot of the couple.

Last edited:
I too am all for black blacks and bags of contrast, but this is OTT for me too. Anyhow, FWIW and speaking only as a retired wedding photographer ...

#1 The potential is well seen, but to make the most of it, we needed to swop the door on the right for more of a view into the room (i.e. the "in here" referred to in the note).

#2 Doesn't work at all for me because it's all black blobs. Why weren't you shooting with the light rather than against it e.g. from over by that cushion?

#3 The picture is about that girl's reaction to what the slap artist's doing. There was a killer picture to be had there if you'd moved to your right and shot between the bride and the slap artist.

#4 Is he really doing up his flies?

#5 Nice enough, but I'd clone out those light tones behind his right shoulder.

#6 Nice enough again for what it is, but wouldn't that have been a great picture if the groom was standing exactly like t'other bloke and had a similar expression?

procession_zps1sejafom.jpg

#7 Isn't that ▲ the picture?

#8 OK despite the fact that he looks like he has his eyes shut.

#9 Fair enough for what it is.

#10 That seems well enough done to me, but I don't feel qualified to comment beyond that as posed shots of this type were never my thing.

#11 A real shame there's that much of a gap between them, but well caught.

#12 Nice. Next time you get a top table with table names, bottles or anything easily moveable in front of the main characters, nip over just before the first speech and remove it/them so you have more chance of more clear shots, explaining why as you do so ;)

#13 Meh. In my experience, shots like this of the "here's the guests having a great time at this wedding" type rarely work unless (a) the people are packed together, (b) you can get some height and (c) you wait and/or pick your position so you have faces in the foreground rather than backs. We nearly always found that close candids of animated couples/small groups of folk convey the feel of drinks/chillout time far better than any half-baked general view of nothing much happening.

#14 Not a shot I would have taken so I'm not qualified to comment - despite which I have to ask does it not bother you that they seem to be joined at the nose?

HTH a bit :)

Last edited:
Back