ND Filter Focusing

Name
Lewis.
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all;
this forum is proving to be great inspiration to get out with the camera more - so much so its costing me money and after much research I bought a 10 stop Haida nd filter.

Focusing though - I've searched around and the answer I've found is the one I already knew. Focus on the subject - screw in filter very carefully - switch to manual and shoot?
Surely theres an easier way; Im hoping to take photos at low level using a 'gorrillapod' type tripod and this method is very impractical without being in the mud on my hands and knees gathering lots of onlookers..

Any tips?

Use back button focus. Focus, using a suitably small aperture (F11, F13?) on the hyperfocal distance, then place your camera with filter on the Gorillapod and trigger it using a cable release or built in timer. The chances are that if you are shooting landscapes or other distant subjects, the shot will be fine.

Best get yourself a low-level viewfinder.

Last edited:
I use hyperfocal too. Actually, I very rarely touch the focus ring at all while shooting landscapes wide angle.

The other issue is actual composition. In bright daylight I can get by using live view.

I think lewis has a good point but also as you screw the filter on you are moving the focus ring, even if very slightly. Will this make much difference on higher fstops?

when doing photos with a ND filter, dont forget to put something over the eyepiece to stop the light getting in from behind.
I have asked Nikon if they do such a things like the pro togs cameras have but they said thy dont do it. IE something that will slide over or flip down from the flash hotshoe.

Canon have that, it sit on the camera strap and you remove the rubber surround on the eyepiece and slide the thingy magig over it. Good tip though.

Canon have that, it sit on the camera strap and you remove the rubber surround on the eyepiece and slide the thingy magig over it. Good tip though.
:mad: nikon :rage:

Well i have a 10 stop screw on filter & if the light is not too bad i can use live view to focus with it on.:)

when doing photos with a ND filter, dont forget to put something over the eyepiece to stop the light getting in from behind.
I have asked Nikon if they do such a things like the pro togs cameras have but they said thy dont do it. IE something that will slide over or flip down from the flash hotshoe.
All of my Nikons (D200/300/7000) had such an accessory in the box if it wasn't built into the camera (D800/D4). I think many just don't know what it is...

I just looked it up. For your D3200 it's the DK-5 and it was (should have been) included.

Last edited:
uote="sk66, post: 6088921, member: 62098"]All of my Nikons (D200/300/7000) had such an accessory in the box if it wasn't built into the camera (D800/D4). I think many just don't know what it is...

I just looked it up. For your D3200 it's the DK-5 and it was (should have been) included.[/quote]H
Yes it was included but thought i would make my a valid point to use it or something. It's a point for us beginners to miss.

Try using liveview - I found that the liveview could see well enough through a welding glass filter (11-13 stop ND) to be able to focus, and even meter.

Thankyou for the responses - wish I had the budget for a slide in filter I bought this one as a way to pass the time and learn something new. All top tips; I tend to focus then switch to manual after screwing in its just a bit time consuming. A pain doing it all at ground level too but if getting down and dirty is what I have to do.. (y)

... ive had 2 nikons the 5000 and 7100 and both have came with an eye piece cover for that exact use

Back