Critique Nephews portrait - new edits in post #9

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I was on baby sitting duty today for Louis, His baby brother was rushed to hospital, to pass the time and make most of a bad situation I popped up the backdrop and tried to get a few shots, just to try and cheer up the parents if only for a few seconds.

I can now see why I've been told never work with children or animals :LOL: as some may know I have tried to get a few cat portraits done recently and that was hard enough but with Louis I managed one between him using the backdrop as a tent or hiding place or running off...

His clothing isn't great as he just got dressed in what was to hand.

Sorry for the waffle...

I would like to know if there is anything I could improve on or need to do next time round? Any feed back, good, bad or ugly is welcome

Thank you for looking, here is my attempt

Louis
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Not a bad first attempt.
It looks like you shot from a lower angle and because he's looking downwards his eyes are a bit dark.
If you shoot straight from his head level he'll be looking straight at you and more light will catch his eye area.
Was it natural light?

I think his top is great suits the pic very well IMO - I don't do portraits so can't crit but I bet his parents were/will be pleased. :)

Not a bad first attempt.
It looks like you shot from a lower angle and because he's looking downwards his eyes are a bit dark.
If you shoot straight from his head level he'll be looking straight at you and more light will catch his eye area.
Was it natural light?
Thank you
Yes, I was sat on the floor, I thought the height was close but your right he's looking down, I never spotted that.
Lighting was natural plus flash, he was facing a patio door 5 meters away and I had a flash head mounted on camera, I tried to bounce the light from the wall on the left.
Thank you for taking the time to look and comment :)

I think his top is great suits the pic very well IMO - I don't do portraits so can't crit but I bet his parents were/will be pleased. :)
Thank you, looking back it does suit him, they were very happy :) Thank you for the comments

Hi Gav

Great to see a portrait from your good self.

It's all be said above.

It's a good image I enjoyed viewing this.

Gaz

Hi Gav

this really isn't a bad first attempt. Same comments from me re the shooting angle. But I also think this image could be processed a little better to help lighten it up a little.

You've captured a great expression and have good eye contact which is half the battle when working with children.

Slightly higher angle, little catch light in the eyes and you'd have a good shot there. Also have you thought about processing this in black and white?could look quite good with the contrast in the top he is wearing.

Keep at it. (y)

Hi Gav

this really isn't a bad first attempt. Same comments from me re the shooting angle. But I also think this image could be processed a little better to help lighten it up a little.

You've captured a great expression and have good eye contact which is half the battle when working with children.

Slightly higher angle, little catch light in the eyes and you'd have a good shot there. Also have you thought about processing this in black and white?could look quite good with the contrast in the top he is wearing.

Keep at it. (y)
Thank you

I keep meaning to come back to this image and have another go at editing

I'm seeing him again soon so hoping to get another go, if he stands still long enough :LOL:

I will have a play with B&W conversion and see what I can do.

Thank you for the feedback (y)

Back