New Apple TV almost here finally with an App Store!

Name
Dale
Edit My Images
Yes
New Apple TV will be here in October with an App Store.

Comes with a Wii style remote and 3rd party controllers also work.

Games including Rahman, Disney infinity, guitar hero etc.

Cannot wait!

PC is the best, PS4 and Xbox One don't offer a big enough jump over the previous generation and lack lots of feature including backward compatibility (finally coming on the new Xbox).

It will have an impact on the gaming industry, how many Indy developers will develop for the Apple TV/iOS (I am guessing similar OS underneath) instead of the consoles.

$150 for the new one

Why are they late? Had the original one (gen 3 anyway) for years

Playing catch up maybe I should say.

£150 (USD to GBP tax applied)? £30 for a chrome cast.

Not sure the whole touch experience will translate on that small pad area. Especially for games.

£60 for the current one which has more than chromecast does

Now TV is a big thing for me.

Some games play really well with Apple TV when mirroring (Real Racing 2 is brilliant for this)

It is easier to use compared to Chromecast for mirroring, films etc. Apple music works through it. I've used my dads chromecast and the Apple setup is much easier.

I think I'll stick with the one I've got, I only use it to mirror my iPad and MacBook. As stated above, there are plenty of dedicated game consoles already, and the TV part of it is a bit Meh for me.

I am an Apple fan - 2 MacBooks, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones in the house (think I have had all the main models) and love everything. Even the watch I would like (but can't justify) yet I still don't get Apple TV. I have Sky, and like it, kids cartoon, movies, sports etc... catch up is good now i have fibre! So what can Apple TV do that Sky can't, or vice versa? Would it be better to have this in the bedroom rather than Freeview?

Personally I think the problem at present isn't really the hardware, but the model Apple use for their movies.

There's no denying that iTunes's is very well served with some very update movies and a good back catalogue. The problem for me is that to view a movie you either have to purchase it or rent it (to effectively view it just the once). With companies like Netflix, now TV, Amazon Prime etc all offering monthly subscription models that allow you to watch as many times as you want, then iTunes just looks well.... Expensive!

If they change their movie business model to monthly subsricription types, at a decent price (that competes with the other offerings), then I think Apple TV would properly take off, as iTunes wouldn't be available to any other tech except theirs?

Amazon and Prime are crap for the latest films. Now TV is best for that. However all are useless at watching films on a train/plane or other area away from unlimited broadband.

Now TV for subscription and ITunes for films I want to keep.

They were all having multiple orgasms at some Frogger rip-off. Then I mentioned it's been on Amazon's Fire TV for ages. And that allows one to watch Amazon Prime Video.

i had the apple TV and it was kinda dusty till i got my retina imac, i took all my films and ran them through smart pro Video convertor and stuffed them into ITunes, now everything in my house has a fat film Library that streams seamlessly you could say why not plex, well i also run Plex on the IMAC to feed the Xbox ones and PS4s.

I think the addition i hope of ITunes Music finally be a god send. there good if you setup your system to work with it, on there own there a bit like chromecast a bit crap.

£60 for the current one which has more than chromecast does

My video-streaming NAS would like to disagree, the Chromecast streams video via Synology DSVideo perfectly and does it natively, whereas the Apple TV will not stream some video content unless the transcoder is enabled on the NAS.

Yeah Apple TV does need some love like Plex, Boxee was the best it steamed flat files easily....

Apparently with the addition of the new app store, Plex and VLC will be downloadable additions. Looks like Apple have changed their ways.

It needs much more flexibility, just wait, just as apple music now streams so will Apple Visual (or something).

Amazon fire stick is the best device for me.

The Amazon Fire TV is just £35 including voice recognition and apps for Plex, Netflix, iPlayer, Prime, YouTube, Flikr, Picasa, games and loads of other stuff.

Last edited:
The Amazon Fire TV is just £35 including voice recognition and apps for Plex, Netflix, iPlayer, Prime, YouTube, Flikr, Picasa, games and loads of other stuff.

With the added bonus of Amazon Prime Video. If you've got a Prime account with Amazon this really is the only choice for TV streaming.

i had the apple TV and it was kinda dusty till i got my retina imac, i took all my films and ran them through smart pro Video convertor and stuffed them into ITunes, now everything in my house has a fat film Library that streams seamlessly you could say why not plex, well i also run Plex on the IMAC to feed the Xbox ones and PS4s.

I think the addition i hope of ITunes Music finally be a god send. there good if you setup your system to work with it, on there own there a bit like chromecast a bit crap.
Which is what I did when the original Apple TV came out. All my DVDs and blurays have been ripped and are available to all. We have three apple TVs in the house, and then there is other consumption devices like iPads and iTunes on computers as well. Many many many TBs of movies online with perfect meta data. Never bought or rented a movie through iTunes.

And in addition, many years before mirracast and widi were integrated in TVs and others came on the market we shared photos, played music and games by sending the data from a wireless device.

Playing catchup? Nah, doing it right in my opinion.

With the added bonus of Amazon Prime Video. If you've got a Prime account with Amazon this really is the only choice for TV streaming.

If you want to wait. Now TV if you want the good stuff.

If Apple TV does plex or similar DLNA client, the I can get rid of my PS3. I will be using the new steam link for my gaming needs when it arrives :)

Am I missing something? NowTV, I had to look it up, that is just Sky Movies? So with a sky subscription already it is rather pointless?

My hope for the new Apple TV is that it will via the iPad app connect and stay connected with my Mac and iTunes better than version 3 does.

In addition the cache for things like photos gets updated every time I add new folders not just if I manually delete the cache file

All other points may be nice but it's the streaming my stored digital media that I would like

Re Amazon prime as an iPad user and not a kindle user I object to paying for prime as I don't get full value even though the kindle reader app is delivered too direct when I purchase kindle books from Amazon

Re Amazon prime as an iPad user and not a kindle user I object to paying for prime as I don't get full value even though the kindle reader app is delivered too direct when I purchase kindle books from Amazon

I'm an iPad user and I think I get full value from Amazon Prime. What features do you think I may be missing?

I'm an iPad user and I think I get full value from Amazon Prime. What features do you think I may be missing?
I was wondering the same...

As a kindle device buyer under the kindle rules gets 100's k books they can loan and iPad users do not get that option it seems that as an iPad user I get less value from prime

As a minor sub note I also feel Amazon now hold back non prime member dispatch of items like bluray that now has me buying less from Amazon in the past I did buy a fair few DVD and bluray films from them. I also used love film prior to the Amazon takeover of the marketing via its own web site and stopped when I no longer had choice

Am I missing something? NowTV, I had to look it up, that is just Sky Movies? So with a sky subscription already it is rather pointless?

Drop sky and have sky movies. All on demand and I can watch in hi def on my TV upstairs as well as I have an Apple TV in the bedroom

Drop sky and have sky movies. All on demand and I can watch in hi def on my TV upstairs as well as I have an Apple TV in the bedroom
But you have that with Sky anyway? Including good download and buffering on slow broadband connections. And accessible via laptop or phone or iPad when at home or out and about like hotel rooms.

Back