New Lightroom PC - my experience

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I've just upgraded my PC, as my old Q6600 based PC was really struggling with Canon EOS 6D files...to the extent that a 1:1 preview render would take 7 seconds for each RAW file in Library mode. This was making reviewing images quite a painful process.

I ummed and ahhhed for ages and was going to plump for an i7 but simply couldn't justify it, so went with a budget build based around an AMD FX 6300 processor. The CPU, motherboard, 8GB RAM, new case and cooler came to just under £300.00 and the results are pretty impressive.

I've overclocked the processor to 4.5GHZ and the system renders 1:1 previews in 1.5 seconds in Library mode, and under a second in Develop mode.

So...for anyone wondering if a budget build can still be capable in Lightroom, the answer is yes :)

I've replaced 3 PCs at work recently, 2 with FX6100s and 1 with FX6300. One of them is for admin (but I also run Hyper V in the background) and the others are for production in different departments. They're nowhere near as fast as the i7s I've bought over the past couple of years, but they're less than half the price and very capable. Scan had a bundle for £230 + VAT at one point which is a bargain.

Back