new moon shot

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all
Just a quick shot from tonight. The moon was in the right place at the right time. c and cs please
peter

Erm, it's too small, looks out of focus to me, and a bit under exposed. And the date in the corner ruins any photograph. Apart from that, perfect! ;)

Have a go with a longer lens, like 300mm. Focus carefully and make sure you have a shake-free shutter speed (1/125sec or faster with IS on, 1/500sec without IS) lens at f/8, and adjust the exposure by changing the ISO.

Hi hoppy
I did resize it but posted the wrong copy.
It was taken on a 300mm lens at f29 and 1/50s
ISO at 0.7ev under 200
Hope this helps.
peter

Hello
Hope this is a better crop.
Settings as above post as well as shot on a tripod with 2s self timer.

peter

Why f29????? It's not required and it'll give you problems with both diffraction and shutter speed.

Use f8 and 1/400s

300mm you should be able to get a lot closer when cropping.

Last edited:
Im still learning so appreciated your comments and critique.
Justplaying about with diffrent settings on camera see what happens, i thought f29 was a bit small but thats what i got.
Will keep trying and post esults
peter

Im still learning so appreciated your comments and critique.
Justplaying about with diffrent settings on camera see what happens, i thought f29 was a bit small but thats what i got.
Will keep trying and post esults
peter

That's what you got because that's what you set. And that's probably why I originally thought it was misfocused because diffraction has ruined the sharpness - don't go higher than f/16 unless you have to, f/11 for preference. Although with such a long shutter speed you have probably got some subject movement there too.

For a moon shot, you don't need depth of field because obviously the subject is at infinity, so focus carefully and use the sharpest aperture you've got - probably f/8. If you have a tripod, use low ISO for best quality, and adjust the shutter speed to match. IS off. Beware of wind and vibration with long tripod exposures - avoid using the centre column.

The moon is actually quite bright and on a clear night you can usually get away with a handheld shot with IS on, and a mid-range ISO setting.

300mm you should be able to get a lot closer when cropping.

This is 400mm & cropped in CS5 1/60 at f8
Clicky
Thats awesome. I clearly need a longer lens (and a better tripod to hold it still). At 200 I am having to crop well into 100% land and focusing is a nightmare.

I didn't think about the object at infinity bit when setting apature. Makes perfect sens though.

Hi Pal 53 like your moon pic,I'm hoping to try this with my new Panasonic FZ45 its gone away till xmas so just checking forums out and gettin tips as this is my 1st time at taking up photography.
Darren

Thats awesome. I clearly need a longer lens (and a better tripod to hold it still).

Yup, you can't beat having a long lens. This was shot at 600mm (300 f2.8 with 2xTC), ISO800, 1/1000s at f8.

mOON_20101119_002.jpg

And here's what a 100% crop looks like.

mOON_20101119_002-2.jpg

Using ISO800 means that you can get a fast enough shutter speed to negate the need for an ultra-stable tripod, remote releases and mirror-lockup.

Really like all those images there.
(For some reason was asked for a password for the first one!)
I hadn't realised that you needed a faster shutter. I attempted at t/100, and was quite dissapointed.

I think the phrase about not being able to hit a barn door comes to mind.

Thanks Frank, some good tips there. I have been using my lowest ISO and about f16 ish but using longer shutters. Will bump the ISO up to 800 and then open the apature next time.

Still need the lens (or a TC) to avoid monster crops however.

Back