New Old Film Challenge #1 Show Us Your Best Architectural Icon Shot Entries thread.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Welcome to the first New Old Film Challenge

New Old Film Challenge #1 Show Us Your Best Architectural Icon Shot

A lot of us have a huge back catalogue of shoddy images, some of them stretching back to the 60's or in Brian's case even further I thought it might make for an interesting challenge, particularly over the winter months when the opportunities for getting a whole roll of film shot are thinner on the ground.

So this month's is best architectural icon, we've all been places and taken shots of the iconic buildings on our holidays so everyone should have something in their back catalogue.

Run along a similar line to the monthly, I use monthly in the loosest sense of the word, challenge.

Some of the same rules will apply, it will have to have been shot on film and it has to be your image, no raiding your father's/mother's/brother's etc shoe box under the bed
for that shot of a man being eaten by a lion on that safari holiday your brother won on The Golden Shot in the 70's.

As suggested by @ChrisR since there shouldn't be too much delay sorting out shots for this I would have thought that a maximum 2 weeks should be plenty of time.

And if there's anybody out there that wants to take part but doesn't have access to a scanner I'd be happy to scan the occasional negative if needed.

Closing date for entries will be Tuesday 11th November

Last edited:
OK, I'll go first then. A slightly different take on an old favourite, Edinburgh Castle, Behind Bars.

Mamiya C330f, Mamiya Sekor 80mm, Kodak Portra 400
14487925573_1067a60c7e_b.jpg

This is a room in Farringford House, the former home of Lord Alfred Tennyson, the poet. The room had been set up for a performance of music and poetry by Patti Smith (I was her sound engineer and guitar tuner that night). Patti also had an exhibition of her Polaroid photographs a couple of hundred yards down the road at Dimbola Lodge, the former home of Victoriuan pioneer photographer, Julia Margaret Cameron.

Before any members of the audience turned up, I saw this scene, liked it and photographed it with a Voigtlander Vito B on Ilford FP4+. I was pleased with the way the outside foliage still has lots of detail and didn't get blown out as I was expecting as it was a bright, sunny day.

8521138720_567001c83a_o.jpg

I hope an interior shot is still considered architectural.

Steve.

Last edited:
City of Arts and sciences Valencia. This has to be my favorite.

Allinsons Mill by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Allinsons Mill - Iconic to me, and a whole generation of Castleford people - originally built in 1898 and was formerly known as Queen's Mill. In 1921, the Allinson (yep, the ones of "Bread with Nowt Taken Out" advert fame) family ascquired the Mill, and expanded to make it the largest stone ground flour mill in the world. The River Aire powered the mill, which used French Burr stones to make wholemeal flour, until the 1970's. The mill ceased production and closed down in 2011. Castleford Heritage Trust made an offer to purchase the mill in 2012 from the Canal and River Trust and the contacts were signed on 19th April 2013. Since that date CHT has opened the mill and thousands of people from the local community and beyond have visited the site and learned about its history and Trust's vision of the future.

ETA: Canon EOS-3 SLR on Ilford HP5+ and processed in Ilford ID11.

Last edited:
Not the actual shot I was looking for when I picked the subject for this little challenge but I'm still pleased to have found it

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pD7BWE]OM1n FP4 London 1989 31 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/URL]

I'm pretty sure this is Royal Victoria Dock in Docklands, but I'm struggling to get a 100% match. It was definitely taken in 1989 as part of a photographic project when I was a (mature :whistle:) student at the Polytechnic of East London.

Ha !

I was gonna post a thread about how much of a pain in the @rse this was to print, but we don't talk much print.

Aug14, Penmon Lighthouse, 16x...er...6 ?? delta 400, xtol, stupid frame ratio, stupid mount and a complete dodge/burn split grade sh1tstorm...lol

bgr8u9.jpg

Not particularly old, this was taken on 2nd March 2011.

Inside the Sage concert hall (Gateshead), a series of projected images were displayed on the wall advertising forthcoming events.
I had to time the exposure correctly so that the same image stayed on throughout a four-second exposure.
I've flipped the image left-to-right so that the reflection of "Northern Sinfonia" reads correctly.

Mamiya RZ67 and Fuji Provia 100F.

View attachment 24292

I'll take a punt with this shot of The Shard under construction in August 2011.

The figure in the bottom left gives it a nice sense of scale and I'm rather attached to the tones; it was one several shots from a roll of BW400CN that made me think I should use C41 monochrome film more often after decades of sticking with FP4 and HP5 :)

The Shard by Gate 1
by cybertect, on Flickr

Canon T70, Canon FDn 24mm f/2.8 and Kodak BW400CN

Last edited:
Who'd have thought it, Great Yarmouth have their own "Nelson's" Column, well Britannia's Column.

Britannia by wickerman6, on Flickr

Come on @stevelmx5 get the next subject picked, this is supposed to be a quick and easy challenge, one week to find your old shot and a week to vote and you seem to have done a Hooley and got your fingers stuck together tarting up that other SX-70

Since you are teaching the kids the way of two wheels you are forgiven :D

Is replying to TP while on yer bike allowed in the Highway Code?:thinking::p

Back