New Old Film Challenge #2 Show Us Your Best Holiday Photograph - Entries thread

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Apologies for the delay, I can only blame life and projects for getting in the way :0)

For a bit of fun as much as technical prowess, I think it would be good to see your 'best' holiday photograph. It can be taken anytime from your film catalogue although I reckon extra points should be awarded for mullets, flares, sideburns or (in the case of people like me that were only born in the late seventies) awesome disc film shots!

I'll start the discussion thread separately from his entry thread.

Cheers
Steve

Well someone's got to be first and as usual its me. :D

This was taken 3 years ago on Camusdarroch beach on the west coast of Scotland. It's the son and heir racing back from a very cold dip in the Atlantic, taken on a Yashica Mat EM and, I think, Kodak Ektar 100.
It is one of my favourite spots in the World and we had the beach almost to ourselves on a glorious Summer day on a holiday that went almost perfectly from beginning to end.
Camusdarroch2 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Andy

Mousehole in Cornwall. Nikon FG - Kodak BW400CN.

CornwallEaster2013-FG-20.jpg

OK, I want to play. Taken on a day out at the Hastings seaside with a few other TP snappers back in 2009. Camera was a Kodak Retinette, film was probably Ilford HP5 but for the life of me, cannot remember how I got them developed/scanned. Probably Snappy Snaps...which is why they look rubbish, but :thinking: Anyway, this was the first time I had used this camera inherited from my late P-i-L, the light meter didn't work so exposure settings were all guess work and the reason this and the other photos from the set are special because I got almost all of them about right. It was when it hit me I really was 'seeing' light like a camera :LOL:

hastings pier with kodak retinette by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

Some excellent entries already guys, I'm glad everyone likes the theme.

Chris, I really like the symmetry in your shot and the light/shadow in Oy's shot is great.

This is mine, taken on a Kowa 6 with Velvia 50 and has always shown to me why shooting Velvia is a love/hate relationship. Shoot it on a bright sunny day in Fuertaventua and the colours are immense. Shoot it on a grey day in Liverpool and you
may as well not bother!

View attachment 25594

Cheers
Steve

A Kodachrome fat bloke in a bikini, bout 5 years ago on Fistral beach Newquay

image.png

Someone mentioned Velvia ....

This was taken on a Light and Land holiday on Knoydart in 2009, when I first started taking photography a bit more seriously after decades of snapping.

The two boats belong to skipper Andy Tibbets who used them to ferry us around Knoydart, Skye, Eigg. Muck, and Canna. A great week.

The shot was taken on Velvia 50 in a Canon T90, looking across the Sound of Sleat to Skye. The peaks in the distance are Blaven to the left and the Red Cuillin to the right.

View attachment 25595

I guess this has to be my favourite:

Bessa R3A 40mm Nokton and Velvia 50.

Sorry, a bit rushed, but this is one of the ones I like best. It was taken in 1992, in Hawaii where we stopped for a few days on our way from Adelaide to Dundee to live! This is my son in pensive mood with a breaking wave in the background. We had always done a bit of body surfing but the waves near Adelaide are small, and Hawaii was where our kids first saw big, powerful waves. He is now all grown up and a keen surfer; the mad fool goes surfing in the north of Scotland and the Outer Hebrides, in winter! I like to think this sombre pic shows the first dreams of a future passion.

[EDIT: I can't remember the film, didn't note it in the folder name, and the packet isn't in a place I can easily check, but the camera was my Pentax ME, bought new in 1978-ish, and the lens the Pentax-M SMC 50mm f/1.7. Scanned with Plustek 7500i and SilverFast 6 SE]

Last edited:
I've struck lucky this time, my film archive runs to 3 rolls from a trip to New York in 2006. I wanted to take photography seriously this trip so used the new fangled eBay to buy a Pentax T30P (which I still have, with it's 4th roll in it...).
The trip didn't result in a huge number of gooduns, as I was rather green with little idea what any of the dials and numbers meant beyond what the manual said.
Sadly the negs are long vanished so this is a scan of a 6x4, with a healthy dose of dust removal in PS. I have edited it but in the spirit of this competition this export only has the dust removal.

Ground Zero cross
by themaninthesuitcase, on Flickr

Film was Kodak something. Gold 400 I think.

Back