New portible hard drive

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
HI ALL
JUST BOUGHT A 250 GIG PORTIBLE HARD DRIVE BUT KEEP GETTING A ERROR MESSAGE SAYING
(USB DEVISE HAS EXCEEDED ITS POWER LIMITS OF ITS HUB PORT)
DOES ANYONE NO WHAT THIS MEANS AND WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO CORRECT THIS

THANKS PAUL :bonk:

Get a twin usb lead and try that?

there is too much current being pulled off one port, is the HD plugged into a hub with other devices? If so just plug the HD into a USB port directly on the computer.

IT PLUGS STRAIGHT INTO THE USB PORT I HAVE TRYED RUNNING THROU A USB PORT REPLICATOR BUT STILL GETTING THE SAME PROBLEM

It means exactly what it is telling you. Your USB port isn't able to supply enough power.

As mentioned, a lead with two USB plugs *might* do the job, and indeed, portable HDDs are often supplied with such a lead.

The other option would be to invest in a powered USB hub. They aren't expensive though are rather inconvenient.

It does sound like the usb port can't supply enough power to the hard drive.
Is there any provision on the drive for a separate power supply? I'm assuming it's a 2½" drive because I've never seen 3½" ones supplied without a power supply.

No problem Paul. Some portable drives come with a separate power supply that plugs into the mains, and although they communicate with the computer via the usb port they're not reliant on the port for power. I guess yours isn't like that though. I think the idea of a powered usb hub may be the best bet.

cheers

YES THE DRIVE I GOT IS JUST THE USB CONNECTOR NO MAINS , ILL HAVE A LOOK TOMORROW AND GET A POWERD USB HUB

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

PAUL

Another thing worth considering before you buy a powered hub, have you tried plugging it into different USB ports? IE USB ports directly on the motherboard, rather than on the front of the case?

Also have you tried unplugging other USB devices?

Your problem is that all your computers power is being drawn by the little LED telling you Caps Lock is on ;)

Your problem is that all your computers power is being drawn by the little LED telling you Caps Lock is on

Any chance of telling what make this rogue drive is so it can be avoided by others? A decent drive shouldn't draw more than 0.5A, the normal limit per USB port.

Any chance of telling what make this rogue drive is so it can be avoided by others? A decent drive shouldn't draw more than 0.5A, the normal limit per USB port.

Don't know what drive the OP has but I had similar problems with a Seagate 2.5 inch portable drive, even with a "twin" USB cable. I could never get it to work properly with my Lenovo laptop, although it would work sporadically if I took care which pair of the four USB ports on the computer I chose. FWIW I've now got three Freecom Classic portable drives (2x120GB and 250GB, each with a single USB cable) and have absolutely no problems at all with them, on any computer.

johngie

It means exactly what it is telling you. Your USB port isn't able to supply enough power.

As mentioned, a lead with two USB plugs *might* do the job, and indeed, portable HDDs are often supplied with such a lead.

The other option would be to invest in a powered USB hub. They aren't expensive though are rather inconvenient.

That is exactly the correct answer. A good powered USB hub presents the PC with a nice load and then provides enough power to each decice plugged in it

PC's have a limit of 500ma per USB channel, and these are often shared between several ports. if you have plugged in a few demanding peripherals in ports all on the same channel, you sometimes get this message. There is also the posibility the device is faulty

Ask the store to check your drive on another PC

Do other USB devices work properly in ALL ports

Now depending on the drive manufacturer you may be able to get a power supply from them. I've got a little Freecom USB drive and they offered a free power supply if you need it. Well as it was free........

Back