New Tog At Work!!

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I've left Jan set up with the 500mm on the pod through the kitchen window. All I can hear coming from the kitchen is "Bugger" " Oh ****" and sundry similar expletives. :LOL:

...Ah but if that elusive and beautiful Long-Tailed Tit shot is captured in the next few minutes ... will it bare the name Cedric ... or will it say 'Jan' when it appears on here :LOL:

She shall have full credit for whatever she gets. :D

If Jan posts a picture of a LTT could someone be ready with the samaritans number for Doug please

If Jan posts a picture of a LTT could someone be ready with the samaritans number for Doug please

Don't worry, I am sitting here with my finger on the speed dial, waiting.:wacky:

Don't mention kitchen floors. :nono: All my dosh the last couple of years has gone on kit! :D

Well Cedric, Jan may have better luck than me.
I've had my gear set up since 06:00 this morning and have got nothing to show for it.
Bloody neighbours keep scaring everything away, (wish it would rain for a bit).

Well Cedric, Jan may have better luck than me.
I've had my gear set up since 06:00 this morning and have got nothing to show for it.
Bloody neighbours keep scaring everything away, (wish it would rain for a bit).

Bugger. You do have days like that though. :(

Ladeez and gentlemen, I give you Jan Tomkinson FRPS. :D

OY8N6093-01.jpg

OY8N6094-01.jpg

I can't get near the camera now! What have I done? :LOL:

Bloody brilliant. I like the squidger and the spuggie.

More competition CT!!:eek:

**** orf!

No way! I've been trying for ages trying to get shots like these, and I always fall short. Jan jumps on and in 5mins she's done that.. I quit.

ps. this shows how usefull good kit is.

ps. this shows how usefull good kit is.

Well of course it is, but Jan's only a lttle dot and there's no way she could manage to handle this lens camera combo without the gimbal head which is what you need to get to make the biggest difference to your shots. That Manfrotto one we discussed is a bargain. ;)

aye, defo..

when I crack out a new job, it's the first on my list!

aye, defo..

when I crack out a new job, it's the first on my list!

The thing is Dan it allows you to track the bird smoothly and keep that AF spot over the eye without messing about with knobs and levers on the head.

Hi CT,

I used to have a gimbal head at work (I can't remember the brand), but as useful as it was for following movement, there was no friction, so you had to hold the body to keep the lens on subject, and it was prone to movement, ie, you couldn't let go and use a cable release.

I have preferred good quality ball heads, and the Arca Swiss B1 is superb, movement is as smooth as butter in all planes, and the very effective friction means that as soon as you are on target, you can let go, knowing the camera/lens combination won't move, and hit the remote to take the capture. The friction is so good, that you could move the camera/lens almost with a feather.

I'm always ready to be taught better, so are you saying that your gimbal head can offer as good, or better control??

What's the budget one you've seen?

Aye, I imagine it makes quite a difference!

PS... If you end up coming to Minsmere, bring lots of kit with you.. Uncle Daniel here will want to be borrowing it ;)

Aye, I imagine it makes quite a difference!

PS... If you end up coming to Minsmere, bring lots of kit with you.. Uncle Daniel here will want to be borrowing it ;)

LOL. I'll have to see. It's a lot of driving for one day

Sure is chief, it's a few hours for me, don't wanna think what'll be like for you!

anyway! great shots Jan!

Hi CT,

I used to have a gimbal head at work (I can't remember the brand), but as useful as it was for following movement, there was no friction, so you had to hold the body to keep the lens on subject, and it was prone to movement, ie, you couldn't let go and use a cable release.

I have preferred good quality ball heads, and the Arca Swiss B1 is superb, movement is as smooth as butter in all planes, and the very effective friction means that as soon as you are on target, you can let go, knowing the camera/lens combination won't move, and hit the remote to take the capture. The friction is so good, that you could move the camera/lens almost with a feather.

I'm always ready to be taught better, so are you saying that your gimbal head can offer as good, or better control??

What's the budget one you've seen?

The thing with a gimbal head Doug is that you can either have it completely slacked off and hold the camera as you describe, or just dial in enough tension to give as much resistance as you want so you can release the camera without it drooping but still be able to move it around should you need to. I agree a really good ball head is pretty near as good, but all serious birders end up getting a gimbal head, particularly with longer lenses. I never use a cable release, it's actually not desirable with longer lenses

There' s a few Gimbal heads on the market and they're all horribly expensive with the exception of the Manfrotto one which is about 99 quid. I'll find a link.

Doug, i have a Wimberley Mk2 for the 600mm and i wouldnt even dream of putting that on a ballhead, although i have a Kirk BH-1 and should try it one day ;) Friction etc is fantastic on it, also you can balance them so can let go of the camera and it doesnt move even without the frictions on !

Thanks CT and Ian:)

I can see the point when you have a really big beast of a lens, because getting the pob over the centre axis is going to be bloody difficult, and looking at pics of gimbal heads, I can see the attraction.

I may have a look at one next time I'm in Newcastle, but it may be next Christmas before I can justify the expense...... My daughter get's married in August!

for 99 quid its unbelievable Doug ! Matt uses one with his 800mm as well !

Hmmm, how can I sneek £99 of the wedding fund???????:thinking:

You've been 'Scooped' CT:LOL:
LOL. Yep.

That cable release could be causing you more probs than you think Doug. The idea was alien to me as I've always used a release on a tripod but when you start using long lenses what happens is the mass is so whippy from front to back that the whole lens vibrates when you take a shot. You need to damp the lens with your left hand laid on top. It's a totally different technique.

Doug, i have just set my 600 up on my Kirk BH-1 ! erm ! ok it works ! but theres no way i would trust it to pan anything in 3d, will work ok for horizontal panning but its nowhere near as smooth as a Gimbal Head in 3d ! :)

Doug, i have just set my 600 up on my Kirk BH-1 ! erm ! ok it works ! but theres no way i would trust it to pan anything in 3d, will work ok for horizontal panning but its nowhere near as smooth as a Gimbal Head in 3d ! :)

OK Ian, I think that you may be right.

DAMN - I hate this place. Costs me too much money.:bang:

Back