Newbie...use of a flash

Edit My Images
No
Maybe a silly question ..but talking pictures when it's night time or inside a dull room..do I always use the flash???

I don't.. I hate flash... Depends on what your shooting...I use very high iso and a very fast lens so I dont need flash for what I shoot... What are you shooting and what spec is your equipment... These are the things we need to kwow for best advise :)

Ive got a Sony nex7 with the 50mm f1.8 prime lens and also the 18-55 and 55-210 zoom lenses

well you ahve twice as many pixels as me with 24mg but your iso only goes to 1600

again..depends what your shooting as to how clear you want the shot.. try a dim lit room at iso 1600 and the f1.8 lens.. you should be able to get usable stuff... you will need to use noise reduction software and reduce the size of the pic... but should come out decent enough...

depends on your expectations.. if your lookin for usable or poster quality...

you suprised me with the camera... someone may be along later with the same or very simmilar camera who can give you more defined advice :)

Ive got a Sony nex7 with the 50mm f1.8 prime lens and also the 18-55 and 55-210 zoom lenses

Typo from Kipax, your camera actually runs to iso16,000 and has one of the very best sensors. It's a terrific camera, loads of very clever features.

So, instead of using flash, you can just push the iso, or use a low f/number, or a bit of both depending on the circumstances.

There is also an unofficial feature on the Sony NEX-7 in that you can tilt the pop-up back to bounce off the ceiling for much better flash results. However, the pop-up is of course rather feeble and bouncing uses a lot of light, so prolly best to use a higher iso for that to help things along. Try it.

Think of it another way...
Yes, with high ISO you can often manage without flash, but lighting isn't about having enough light, it's about having the right light, and sometimes you can only get the right light by using flash.
But sometimes, the existing light is the right light, and the use of flash will ruin it.

So, it's really a question not of what you can do, but of what you should do to give the best result.

As others have said it all depends, I'm currently having a love affair with natural light, but before that I used artificial light for everything, using on camera flash can kill the mood and ambience of a scene. Also depends on what your photographing. Intact I'm just saying what everyone else has said loo

I used to hate using flash,but that was only because I didn't know how to use it properly.
Now iv started to understand some of the basics how to use flash properly it's truly amazing,but in certain situations natural light is still better!

Back