Nikon cashback problems

Edit My Images
No
I purchased a new Nikon D7000 Body from LCE in November 2013 which qualified under the 2013 Cashback Scheme for £70. A prepaid card duly arrived (expiring 12/14) which was not used until I went to buy a Tripod Head, also at LCE using this card today. The transaction was refused by the card machine and a trip to my Bank established that the balance was in fact £62 and not the figure of £70. So far, I can find no explanation or hidden charges to account for the missing sum other than the fact that the card was probably only loaded with £62 to start with by Nikon. I have viewed the Card Statement on the Citi Bank Website, the only transaction was today at £62.

Has anybody else had issues with missing funds or incorrect loading of the Cashback Card an if so, how was it resolved? The figure involved is strange since all the Cash Back sums were multiples of £10. Anybody receiving Cash back cards under the current 2014 promotion are advised to immediately check the balance on the card.

Why suppliers persist in these silly schemes is beyond me, just reduce the price in a sale and solve a load of hassle and support expense. Samsung only just managed to pay the cash back sum due on a Galaxy Tab days before a Letter Before Action notice was due to expire and the commencement of Court action.

Have had Nikon cashback before and never encountered this issue. Must agree, it is a pain the behind :rolleyes:

Why suppliers persist in these silly schemes is beyond me, just reduce the price in a sale and solve a load of hassle and support expense

I think they do this to ensure that you buy through their official channels rather than the 50 (or whatever) shades of grey that seem to exist, and it means that they are giving the cashback directly to the purchaser. This means there is no scope for confusion as to who is actually paying what, since there was a bit of confusion on the current Fuji scheme which had both cashback and a trade-in bonus on some models. It also ensures that you register for their warranty scheme and that they then know who their customers are. :thinking:

That's a very useful link at Moneysavingexpert. These is no mention of this in the Nikon promotion material at all, so it would appear that I have been charged for having a full cash balance after 6 months, that is not acceptable. At the very least the terms should make clear that you must use the balance in full within 6 months to avoid penalty charges being applied.

There is an FAQ page which gives no notification whatsoever, this is for the current promotion -

http://www.nikon.co.uk/sites/promotions/christmas-cashback/about_uk.html#faq

Two separate extracts from the above link say:

'What are the fees for using my card?

There are no fees for making purchases at Visa merchants or using the card online.

'What are the fees for using my card?'

Your card is good through to the expiry date shown on the card.'

out of interest why wait so long just to use the card?

out of interest why wait so long just to use the card?

Presumably the OP hasn't needed anything?
(or maybe not used an `official` supplier if anything has been purchased)

You can use the card to buy anything - I've used them in the past to buy my petrol :)

That link I posted is from 2012 BTW.

AL

Last edited:
I hadn't used the card as I had been saving for an Olympus OMD, that has been postponed so I decided to use the card before the expiry date, it would now seem that those who go past this date lose the lot to the card provider. So at the very least, this is sharp practice by the card provider in conjunction with the supplier, Nikon in this case. I will write to Nikon for resolution and await their reply, or lack of reply with interest. Otherwise, I believe that the Nikon Terms and Conditions should make crystal clear all the charges applicable and that the full amount will only be available for a limited period of time. Nikon had one case upheld by the ASA, I don't think this would be so simple to dismiss. There may also be a case under the Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

You can use the card to buy anything - I've used them in the past to buy my petrol :)

That link I posted is from 2012 BTW.

AL

that was my thoughts exctly, why wait a year

The old 'Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations' stated that terms of a contract that the consumer was not informed of are unenforceable.
The regulations have been replaced, but assuming the new regulations have a similar clause (check first), use that and nail them.

Back