Nikon D40 - Problem?

Name
Jordan
Edit My Images
No
I have a nikon d40 which ive owned for about 6months, its been fine since i got it but went out to shoot some photos the otherday and i seem to have a little problem. if anyone could help me with this i would appreciate it.

when i manual focus with the camera you can see it getting blurrier/clearer etc as you rotate the focus but it never actually gets fully in focus and clear:| ive tried switching it onto automatic focus. and when i click the shoot button half down it focuses in on a subject but it is not clear but the photo when viewed it is crystal clear! im confused into what is happening. HELP:thinking:

Cheers

I have a nikon d40 which ive owned for about 6months, its been fine since i got it but went out to shoot some photos the otherday and i seem to have a little problem. if anyone could help me with this i would appreciate it.

when i manual focus with the camera you can see it getting blurrier/clearer etc as you rotate the focus but it never actually gets fully in focus and clear:| ive tried switching it onto automatic focus. and when i click the shoot button half down it focuses in on a subject but it is not clear but the photo when viewed it is crystal clear! im confused into what is happening. HELP:thinking:

Cheers

The viewfinder focus probably needs adjusting, use the diopter control to get all the info in the viewfinder in focus

The viewfinder focus probably needs adjusting, use the diopter control to get all the info in the viewfinder in focus

Is this the sliding button next to the eye piece? even when i move that up and down the text doesnt come into focus!! i though it might be my eye but a friend has also tried it and its the same for him:crying:

Is this the sliding button next to the eye piece? even when i move that up and down the text doesnt come into focus!! i though it might be my eye but a friend has also tried it and its the same for him:crying:

I believe that is the diopter control (its a dial on my D300), check in the manual. If its not doing anything that is the problem, you need to tap the shutter button to activate the meter and focus points, then adjust until they look sharp.

I believe that is the diopter control (its a dial on my D300), check in the manual. If its not doing anything that is the problem, you need to tap the shutter button to activate the meter and focus points, then adjust until they look sharp.

tried doing that and cant even get them to be sharp[:thinking:

no but that was my first thought that my sight went dodgey but have had other people try to do it there and they just stay blurry:thumbsdown:

no but that was my first thought that my sight went dodgey but have had other people try to do it there and they just stay blurry:thumbsdown:

Sounds like it is not working, take it back to the shop where you bought it and get them to check, if it is faulty it is still under warranty.

i got it form argos so dont think they will be able to help. but i do still have the warrenty yeah, would this type of thing be covered under the manufacturers warrenty?

i got it form argos so dont think they will be able to help. but i do still have the warrenty yeah, would this type of thing be covered under the manufacturers warrenty?

It will be covered, may be worth double checking in the manual that it is just a case of moving the lever to adjust, rather than pull out and move it.

yeah will have a look in the manual when i get home first. strange how its just started todo it for no apparant reason! did i need to send anything off to get the warranty because thinking about it i havent. but have all the bits, warranty card etc in my box at home.

yeah will have a look in the manual when i get home first. strange how its just started todo it for no apparant reason! did i need to send anything off to get the warranty because thinking about it i havent. but have all the bits, warranty card etc in my box at home.

I think all they need is a receipt.

how clear are the LED settings in the viewfinder - get these sharp by adjusting the doptre control as mentioned above.

which lens are you focussing with - I found the standard 18-55 zoom hard work to use in manual as it only required a slight nudge on the focusing ring to send it o/f.

I had a panicking moment when my 70-200 stopped focusing correctly. I ran to merchant city cameras who wipe the electrical contacts on the back of the lens with a cloth and all was well again! I walked away feeling rather foolish!

So give that a try and see if it helps.

Stuart

by electrical contatcts do you mean the metal bits that are on the side of the lens when i detatch it from the body of the camera? just rub this with a cloth?

and you can read the text its just sort of blurry. and yeah its the 18-55mm kit lens. usually focuses fine though compared to what it is like now. and it wont focus sharp using autofocus ither. but the photographs are clear.

i rubbed the metal connectors with a cloth and it got slightly better but not 100%

If the images being captured by the camera are 100% pin sharp then the problem is with the view finder.
Sounds very much like the diopter control is malfunctioning. Does anythign happen when you move it?

If the images being captured by the camera are 100% pin sharp then the problem is with the view finder.
Sounds very much like the diopter control is malfunctioning. Does anythign happen when you move it?

Yep. If the images are sharp then it isn't a problem with focusing. Could be:

• broken diopter (as you've tried it an it hasn't improved)
  • dirt/smudge on view finder
  • misted up view finder
  • dirt/smudge on mirror

Can't think of anything else that could cause this.... er dirt/smudge on bottom of prism?

when i move the diopter the screen in the viewfinder just move about abit but the writing or the focus points dont get any clearer. if this is covered under warrenty will i have to send my camera away ?

would think they are bound to send it away - you could check a few bracnhes nearby to see if they have your model in stock - if they do you could try being really polite but firm when you complain and they might swap it - I've had stuff (not cameras) swapped for brand new when almost a year old at argos.

Or you could just open a warranty claim with Nikon - although it will mean sending it (or taking it) to an authorised dealer.

I FIXED IT:thinking:

Just tapped the top and then pressed in abit when sliding the diopter down and bang came into focus!!

Cheers for the help everybody. :clap:

I FIXED IT:thinking:

Just tapped the top and then pressed in abit when sliding the diopter down and bang came into focus!!

Cheers for the help everybody. :clap:

Personally, I'd still get it checked by Nikon - if it goes again after the warranty expires and your little fix doesn't work, you're screwed.

Good job on the repair though (y)

Back