Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

The saga continues....
I received the camera, once again shutter replaced, etc. I then emailled a complaint, as I was not happy, as I had asked about a replacement and had been promised, on 2 occasions that someone would contact me. Surprise, surprise, no contact at all, hence my complaint. Was then contacted, by email, by the head of customer services, asking that I return the camera for his attention. Did this and after a few days, but absolutely no contact, got a dispatch email. All I know is that the camera has been exchanged. Don't know, at this point, what for as DPD fecked up the delivery today :(
Still disappointed with Nikon customer services, given that I had complained about a lack of contact, you would think they would have at least sent me an email stating the course of action they've taken.

Knowing my luck, they'll have replaced my D600, with a Coolpix :rolleyes:

Hopefully, DPD will deliver tomorrow, so I can see what Nikon camera I have.

I'll be very interested in the outcome of your 'exchange'.

Bought a D600 used a few days ago. It is apparently about a year old. Only 1800 shutter count and it's in mint condition! Bought it for £760.

Peter that doesn't look very good. Hope Nikon will sort it for you.

Fortunately, I don't have any dust issues yet. Here's a couple of shots to keep the thread alive

untitled-479-4
by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

Bokehlicious!

I haven't yet tried mine out properly yet. Will be doing so soon though so will report back with some photos soon!

My father has just given me his D600 Nikon, and I'm very excited indeed coming from a Canon 5D.
I have zero experience with Nikon hardware, so need a bit of advice in respect of what lenses to go for. Unfortunately I do not have the finances for the 2.8 24-70mm, which appears to be highly recommended. I have approx. £1000 to spend and am looking at a telephoto and a wide angle, perhaps with a 50mm prime. I currently use the Canon 17-40mm WA, the 50mm 1.8 mk 2 and a Sigma 70-300 macro. Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Neil

Last edited:
My father has just given me his D600 Nikon, and I'm very excited indeed coming from a Canon 5D.
I have zero experience with Nikon hardware, so need a bit of advice in respect of what lenses to go for. Unfortunately I do not have the finances for the 2.8 24-70mm, which appears to be highly recommended. I have approx. £1000 to spend and am looking at a telephoto and a wide angle, perhaps with a 50mm prime. I currently use the Canon 17-40mm WA, the 50mm 1.8 mk 2 and a Sigma 70-300 macro. Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Neil

Nikon 70 - 300 VR
Nikon 50 1.8
Tamron 28 - 75 2.8

Would be a good start and money to spare to spend on other goodies.

Three fecking weeks they had my D600 for the warranty shutter thingy!
Being the patient guy that I am, I left it until yesterday to call the service desk...."oh sir, its just been allocated a tech and will be with you by the end of the week".
In the post yesterday (same day as enquiry) and received this morning. They have allegedly replaced the shutter mechanism.

Word to the wise, if you send your D600 or any other I should imagine, follow it up with a phone call a few days later and enquire about the status. To be fair, I didn't want it back last week as I was away and didn't want it as a stand in football for the bored delivery guys in the warehouse.

Last edited:

Thanks
Neil

I'd agree with the other poster about the 50mm f/1.8 (I'd get the G version), Tamron 28-75 & 70-300 VR combo, the only thing I would say if you were still wanting a UWA lens then there are plenty of reasonably priced options including this Nikon 18-35 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B7FOW...de=df0&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B00B7FOWRY) at £500~ new.

If you went through the used section on here you could get the 50, 28-75 & 70-300 for £500 or so, leaving £500 for a UWA.

I have a 16-35 which is great but a bit more expensive.

Three fecking weeks they had my D600 for the warranty shutter thingy!
Being the patient guy that I am, I left it until yesterday to call the service desk...."oh sir, its just been allocated a tech and will be with you by the end of the week".
In the post yesterday (same day as enquiry) and received this morning. They have allegedly replaced the shutter mechanism.

Word to the wise, if you send your D600 or any other I should imagine, follow it up with a phone call a few days later and enquire about the status. To be fair, I didn't want it back last week as I was away and didn't want it as a stand in football for the bored delivery guys in the warehouse.

Yes, the service centre, doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
I ended up, complaining to the head of Nikon UK, who passed it off to head of customer service. I'm more than happy, with the final outcome, but until I received the D610 yesterday, I didn't actually know what was happening. Surely, in this day and age, it's not difficult to keep a customer updated via email :rolleyes:

My D600 is now with Nikon UK. I called up to check progress and they said it 'd take at least 10 days. When I asked what they are actually fixing, the rep said that they are going to replace the D600 shutter with that of D610. At that point I asked if the issue pops up again, he said that I have to send it in and depending on the severity, they might offer a replacement.

My D600 is now with Nikon UK. I called up to check progress and they said it 'd take at least 10 days. When I asked what they are actually fixing, the rep said that they are going to replace the D600 shutter with that of D610. At that point I asked if the issue pops up again, he said that I have to send it in and depending on the severity, they might offer a replacement.

They can't even get their own story straight! I was told that the shutters in the D600 and D610 are completely different and the replacement is not a 610 shutter for a 600.

If you have sent it back, 3 times, I would suggest asking for a replacement.

Bought a D600 used a few days ago. It is apparently about a year old. Only 1800 shutter count and it's in mint condition! Bought it for £760.

IMHO, you cannot go wrong with it. It may spray oil a bit, learn how to DIY sensor clean, and you are laughing. Yes the controls and AF are a bit...meh, but if you get the light, it will be with you every step of the way

Nice shots Steve :)

There's an interesting piece on dslrbodies.com about the 7Dii and how Nikon are losing their grip on a lot of things, including customer service.

Nice shots Steve :)

There's an interesting piece on dslrbodies.com about the 7Dii and how Nikon are losing their grip on a lot of things, including customer service.

I've never had to use Nikon customer service. I diy clean, it won't break. It'll be fine. The sensor is terrific. No doubt I could get the same results with a 6d or 5d though

The D610 is getting seriously tempting from Panamoz with 3 year Panamoz warranty and yes I know its a grey import but it is now less than you can pick up a second hand body with no warranty. £893 with BACS, dare I use bank transfer though that is the question, I know plenty of others have with no problems. Hmmm..... I dont NEED this camera in any way, I am very happy with my D7000 as my main and a D90 as a second body but I do seriously WANT it. The D610 would then be my main, the D7000 my second body and the D90 would go.
I do wish sometime I could get over my GAS.

I'd say £893 is a total bargain for a D610, it was a bargain when I paid £950 in July so that's certainly a bargain!

I paid via BACS with no problems, of course it's a little risk compared to being covered by CC but I didn't have any issues.

You'd then have the best of both worlds with a D7000 for DX work, it's kinda similar to my setup except I have a D300s.

The D610 is getting seriously tempting from Panamoz with 3 year Panamoz warranty and yes I know its a grey import but it is now less than you can pick up a second hand body with no warranty. £893 with BACS, dare I use bank transfer though that is the question, I know plenty of others have with no problems. Hmmm..... I dont NEED this camera in any way, I am very happy with my D7000 as my main and a D90 as a second body but I do seriously WANT it. The D610 would then be my main, the D7000 my second body and the D90 would go.
I do wish sometime I could get over my GAS.

That is very tempting as it would compliment my D7100 very well, would you expect a further price drop for Christmas, as I need an excuse to buy one ?
What have been the BCAS problems with Panamoz ?

I have got the lens long end covered for FX with a Nikon 70-300mm VR and the new Tamron 150-600mm VC. I only have DX lenses for walkabouts. Is it worth buying the camera with the 24-70mm lens or is there a better alternative?
No doubt the 24-70 is a fine lens, if you don't need f2.8 the new 24-85mm VR is worth looking at, also the older Tamron 28-70 gets good reviews from many (I've not really used it so can't comment much).

I have a Tamron 28-75 2.8 on my D610, great lens although not a focal range I use often. Might be tempted to get a 24-85 VR to replace it one day, as I prefer wide lenses.

That is very tempting as it would compliment my D7100 very well, would you expect a further price drop for Christmas, as I need an excuse to buy one ?
What have been the BCAS problems with Panamoz ?

With the new D750 out it may drop a bit more, but Panamoz have a habit of stuff going out of stock and it not coming back in for ages! That's the risk you have to take i guess.

Never heard of any issues with BACS from them either.

I just got back my D600 from Nikon UK. They have replaced the shutter and cleaned the sensor. Hoping this is a permanent fix.

Mines going in this week. Called Nikon today. They have also offered to clean any one of my Nikon lenses for free too to check for dust.

That deal on Panamoz is a steal! I recently purchased a D610 second hand off here that was also an import but only a couple months old for around the same.

Now that I've had the camera for a few months I can confirm that I am loving it. I'm a 'learning amateur' at best but new kit always helps to keep the interest.

ISO capabilities are a revelation over my previous D90 and I think exceed the Fuji X-E1 I had. So much so that I often use auto-ISO in general use. The IQ in good light is probably not a whole lot better than my D90 and 17-55 2.8G lens but the D610 comes into its own in any sort of trying conditions.

I admit to historically generally shooting RAW + JPEG and still do the same but finally I'm starting to use LR more for the best pictures or where I'm trying to achieve something specific. I like to always have a camera produced JPEG as it then gives me something to aim to better in LR.

Obviously the weight with the 24-70 2.8G lens is an issue, especially when carting little kids around as well. Would love to have CSC camera (like the X-E1) I had but at the moment I don't think there's anything out there that can match the D610 capabilities all round, particularly for pics of moving kids! It probably isn't too far away though.....

One thing I would like to make use of is the video. I've only had a small play with this and can see the quality produced is excellent. From this I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a best focus setting to get video to autofocus? Or is the AF always hunting around quite a bit and realistically you need to work manual? I guess using a deeper depth of field (ie higher f number) might help to hide lack of skills here!

2) I think there's meant to be a cover for the eye piece when using live view, I don't seem to have this. I didn't notice this being a problem but should I get one?

Thanks!

I got back my D600 last week from Nikon UK for the sensor cleaning and shutter replacement. Nikon has done a good job in cleaning and I hope I will not have any issues again.

I am noticing something that is bit different with my D600- the shutter noise is much reduced compared to what it was earlier. Have any of you noticed anything similar? It is bit softer sounding.

When I had the shutter replacement, on my D600, the different shutter sound was very evident. Unfortunately, this still didn't solve, the sensor issue. Hopefully your D600 will now be fine.

Nikon advised today that turn around time is around the 2 week mark for a D600 shutter replacement.
Seems quite long to me.

Called Nikon today for an update - no work yet carried out - they advise me a modified shutter will be fitted. When I asked what they meant by modified, they advised they fit the D610 shutter. Really?

Called Nikon today for an update - no work yet carried out - they advise me a modified shutter will be fitted. When I asked what they meant by modified, they advised they fit the D610 shutter. Really?

That's what I was told, that the D610 shutter would be fitted to my D600 as 'it fits'. I even got Nikon to send me a letter through the post stating it.

It's funny how Nikon seem to have told different (and by that I mean contradictory) stories to some regarding the shutter replacement!

I was told the same thing by Nion when I sent mine and I asked them that when i enquired about it earlier, I was told by Nikon that the D610 shutter is a different one and won't fit D600.

I guess they said that to avoid a panic of all D600 users asking for a D610 shutter replacement.

Mine sounds different after replacement and some D600 users also reported that they are getting 0.5 fps more (I haven't done any testing on that TBH)

OK, so it appears we don't or cannot actually know.
Mmmmm. Maybe i'll go with the apparent '3 returns for cleaning / shutter replacement then be offered a D610' as this appears to be the position Nikon are adopting.

Well, strangely enough my camera was repaired yesterday and despatched same day. Received today less the eye piece and hot shoe cover so had to ring Nikon to find out what they'd done with it. Replacements in the post. One thing I have noticed, as someone else had mentioned, definitely sounds different.
Overall cannot really complain at a weeks turnaround.

Back