Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

I love my D700, even though I keep saying it !
When I got my D750 I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. It just works so well, and gives "nicer" results with a couple of my lenses when compared to the 750.
Maybe it's the bigger pixels, I don't know.
I know it's staying though.
Enjoy your new camera.
Thanks! it's the waiting that's the killer............(-:

I love my D700, even though I keep saying it !
When I got my D750 I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. It just works so well, and gives "nicer" results with a couple of my lenses when compared to the 750.
Maybe it's the bigger pixels, I don't know.
I know it's staying though.
Enjoy your new camera.

Couldn't agree more.

When I got my D750 I had no intention of getting rid of my D700 and after 14 months with D750 I certainly will not be getting rid of D700... why?

D700 (for me) produces much better skin tones (particularly with yellows and oranges) for portraits, the camera is bullet proof and has never once frozen or locked up. I also find I get sharper details on D700 wide open than I do with D750.
I think it may be partly to do with the larger pixels from 12mp but I don't really know. D750 wins with shadow recovery, DR and noise but for everything else it's D700.

If I was to recommend a FF camera to anyone it would be a D700 - second hand they're an absolute bargain and so many people that get rid of theirs end up regretting it.

I sold my D700 to buy the D750. While I really like the D750 I do wish that I had kept the D700 too. Think I'm going to get another at some point though, I do miss the button and switch placement. It's a fantastic camera and even more so now at the price they can be had for.

Bringing this thread back to life for a quick question..

With exposure compensation the indicators look like this.. + .... | .... - (well almost). However, the main dial on the rear of the camera works in line with the indicator, as in rotate right to subtract and left to add.

I know I can change this in the custom settings to flip them around like this.. - .... | .... + , but that flips the working of the dial as well so you will always have to rotate it away from + to add.

Would it not have been easier to just make it so you turn it in the direction of + to add or - to subtract?

I hope my question makes sense and I really also hope that I am not the only one to find this odd?

Last edited:
When the D810, D750, D610 came out I end up upgrading my D7000 and D300 to the D3/D700 instead. I already got FX glass so I only need to choose camera body. I end up getting the older FX body because is cheaper second hand and I don't need to change much on accessories. Also 12mp is enough for me.

Bringing this thread back to life for a quick question..

With exposure compensation the indicators look like this.. + .... | .... - (well almost). However, the main dial on the rear of the camera works in line with the indicator, as in rotate right to subtract and left to add.

I know I can change this in the custom settings to flip them around like this.. - .... | .... + , but that flips the working of the dial as well so you will always have to rotate it away from + to add.

Would it not have been easier to just make it so you turn it in the direction of + to add or - to subtract?

I hope my question makes sense and I really also hope that I am not the only one to find this odd?
Found a setting to reverse the command dial so all sorted now..

Thought you'd sold up mate?
I replied to one of your comments a few days ago saying I'm spending two weeks with both the D700 and 5DmkII to see which I like best..

Got a Sigma 28-70 on the D700 and Tamron 28-75 on the 5D and so far I am definitely liking the results of the D700/Sigma more..

I replied to one of your comments a few days ago saying I'm spending two weeks with both the D700 and 5DmkII to see which I like best..

Got a Sigma 28-70 on the D700 and Tamron 28-75 on the 5D and so far I am definitely liking the results of the D700/Sigma more..
Can I ask what siggy 28-70 you have as I've got 1 but at 2.8 its nearly unusable it back focus's badly

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for that. Have just reserved one as they're down the road from me. I'll wait until my MB-D10 arrives and test it with my universal L-braceket as it may well work. Will post back.
I have one already off my D810 but just might order another after xmas

Late to the party but my D700 should be arriving in the next few days - first FX body. Got plenty of FX glass but only DX bodies so far (D7200 at present).
Going to keep the D7200 but been meaning to go FX for a long time now, wanted a D750 but prices are out of my range for now. Hopefully the D700 should scratch this itch quite well :)
Will let you know how I get on with it.

Late to the party but my D700 should be arriving in the next few days - first FX body. Got plenty of FX glass but only DX bodies so far (D7200 at present).
Going to keep the D7200 but been meaning to go FX for a long time now, wanted a D750 but prices are out of my range for now. Hopefully the D700 should scratch this itch quite well :)

I bet the viewfinder will be a pleasant surprise! Enjoy!

You'll love it I am sure. I miss mine.

Just found myself a D700 in immaculate condition 5500 shots on if for £450. Picking it up on Saturday so It'll be like having an old friend back. Getting giddy already.

Nice..

D700 arrived today - 32K on the clock, nice and tidy. Seems a beast sat next to my D7200:)
Luckily, most of my glass is FX so no problem there:) Nikon 24-70 seems much happier sat on the front of the D700 than it did on the D7200 - more balanced.

Now just need to get out and use it properly:)

Just found myself a D700 in immaculate condition 5500 shots on if for £450. Picking it up on Saturday so It'll be like having an old friend back. Getting giddy already.

Did you pick it up today?

No, the deal fell through. I guess they found out what it was worth.

That's not so good - got to admit, when I saw £450 for 5500 shots I did think that was a good deal. I began to wonder if I paid too much for mine but no, I think I got a good deal at £475 and 32K on it - very happy with it so far. Just want to get outside and play with it properly.

That's not so good - got to admit, when I saw £450 for 5500 shots I did think that was a good deal. I began to wonder if I paid too much for mine but no, I think I got a good deal at £475 and 32K on it - very happy with it so far. Just want to get outside and play with it properly.
It's a fantastic camera. Sold mine to get the D750 and regretted it ever since. The D750 is fantastic but there is just something about the D700.

It's a fantastic camera. Sold mine to get the D750 and regretted it ever since. The D750 is fantastic but there is just something about the D700.

I was after a D750 but couldn't justify it with my level of photography and other priorities. Then it hit me towards the end of the year that a D700 would be perfect - I know it's nice to have new tech but the D700 will still produce images today as well as it did the day it rolled off the production line. It was considered an excellent camera back then and built like a tank so as long as I found a good one, nothing will have changed. I think I found a good one and I have mostly FX glass too so no worries there[emoji846]

I was after a D750 but couldn't justify it with my level of photography and other priorities. Then it hit me towards the end of the year that a D700 would be perfect - I know it's nice to have new tech but the D700 will still produce images today as well as it did the day it rolled off the production line. It was considered an excellent camera back then and built like a tank so as long as I found a good one, nothing will have changed. I think I found a good one and I have mostly FX glass too so no worries there[emoji846]
Yep the D700 still stacks up very well against the young guns of today and will probably outlast them. 12mp is not really an issue either unless your doing huge crops etc.
£475 is a good price but SWMBO has set the rules for me. "You don't need ANOTHER camera" she's is right on that one of course. "You can only use one camera at a time" right again.
She has said however that if a good deal comes along that I can go for it but it has to be a very good deal. The D700 with 5500 shots @£450 fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately didn't happen at the last minute.

Yep the D700 still stacks up very well against the young guns of today and will probably outlast them. 12mp is not really an issue either unless your doing huge crops etc.
£475 is a good price but SWMBO has set the rules for me. "You don't need ANOTHER camera" she's is right on that one of course. "You can only use one camera at a time" right again.
She has said however that if a good deal comes along that I can go for it but it has to be a very good deal. The D700 with 5500 shots @£450 fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately didn't happen at the last minute.

Bummer

Still working my way around my D700 and after some advice please as I find conflicting stories online.
What's the maximum size and speed CF card I can use? Is the D700 UDMA7 compatible?
Many thanks.

The D700 just feels right and ticks all the boxes for me

Undecided weather to purchase the mb10 battery pack for it

The D700 just feels right and ticks all the boxes for me

Undecided weather to purchase the mb10 battery pack for it

I thought about it but am undecided whether it is worth the cost as smaller file sizes and great battery life probably make it unnecessary for me.

Picked up a D700 from MPB in mint condition with 8,000+ clicks ... look forward to using it at the NMA on Saturday next.

Missing FF?............how you finding the 28-70mm, I'm thinking of getting one to have in the bag.

Back