Nikon D750 & D780

After reading this thread for a long time, I just ordered a D750 and 85mm 1.8g lens today.

I'm going to have to pick up some new memory cards and there was talk a while back about people using Intergral cards?

What would be the best cards for speed/reliability for the D750. Someone mentioned they had problem with Sandisk ones?

I've used Sandisk ones in a variety of different cameras and never had an issue either. The Extremes are pretty good in my view.

Have used Sandisk, Integral and Transcend on the D750. So far Sandisk Extreme 45mb/s has been the best, followed by Transcend. Strangely, the slower Transcend 45mb/s 300x proved to be better than the 90mb/s 600x version.

Last edited:
gibside 039-Edit-Edit.jpg

Took a short drive out today to Gibside, and came across this Palladian chapel.
run it through one of the nik collection .

Last edited:
I've used Sandisks in all of my cameras, no issue with any. Use Extreme Pro 95mb/s in the D750

Nice, just not too sure what to get and what I can justify to my other half price wise :confused:

Never ever heard that before :D

Good to hear someone else say that the SanDisk ones have been ok.

Sandisk for me too. I do have some Samsung in the 610 but have always used sandisk with no problems.

Here's a few pics with the 24-120mm f4 from a Wedding I went to on Friday (as a guest). I'm no wedding tog obviously lol, but I thought the 24-120mm did pretty well considering the very very low light indoors.
(More on Flickr)

DSC_1776 B&W
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1947
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1903 B&W
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1855 B&W
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1746 B&W
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1712
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1664
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1658
by TDG-77, on Flickr

These are nice shots! Got a wedding to do in a few weeks, always good fun!

After reading this thread for a long time, I just ordered a D750 and 85mm 1.8g lens today.

I'm going to have to pick up some new memory cards and there was talk a while back about people using Intergral cards?

What would be the best cards for speed/reliability for the D750. Someone mentioned they had problem with Sandisk ones?

I've been using Sandisk Extreme Pro, they are 95 mbps read speed but more importantly they are 90 mbps write speed so your buffer can empty itself quicker than most other cards. It's difficult to find a quoted write speed on many brands, but write speed is usually a lot lower than the specified read speed.

Extreme pro are much cheaper now than they were, I was looking at getting more today I paid about 40% more 18 months ago. Moore's law in action I guess.

Edit: Here's a SD card test and some explanation of write speeds in D750:

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d750/fastest-sd-card-speed-tests/

Last edited:
When using the SB-700 speedlight with either the fold down diffuser or supplied clip on diffuser zoom automatically sets to wide angle and you can't change it that I've found. I understand this is to help diffuse the light as well, but I would guess that flash range is reduced? Therefore is there a way to be able to use the diffusers but still set the flash zoom? I found that if I didn't clip the left side of the diffuser in it wouldn't set the zoom to wide, but obviously it's not very secure. I assume there must be a 'pin' or something on the clip on diffuser that tells the flash when it's attached.

I don't know about the SB-700 but on the SB-900 the flash only zooms out automatically if you clip the dome thing on one way round - there is a switch that a lug on the dome presses. The other way round you can zoom the flash manually.

I don't know about the SB-700 but on the SB-900 the flash only zooms out automatically if you clip the dome thing on one way round - there is a switch that a lug on the dome presses. The other way round you can zoom the flash manually.
Thanks. I don't think you attach it the other way around (ie upside down) on the SB-700, or if you can it's a bit 'stiff' on mine and I didn't want to force it.

When using the SB-700 speedlight with either the fold down diffuser or supplied clip on diffuser zoom automatically sets to wide angle and you can't change it that I've found. I understand this is to help diffuse the light as well, but I would guess that flash range is reduced? Therefore is there a way to be able to use the diffusers but still set the flash zoom? I found that if I didn't clip the left side of the diffuser in it wouldn't set the zoom to wide, but obviously it's not very secure. I assume there must be a 'pin' or something on the clip on diffuser that tells the flash when it's attached.

I don't think you can zoom the flash manually with the flippy screen down. You might be able to put the dome diffuser on in such a way without engaging the microswitch or use a 3rd party one that doesn't clip on.

I'd imagine you'd end up creating a hotspot on the diffuser and I'm not sure you would get any more 'range'. Dome diffuser is designed to bounce light off walls and ceilings etc, some people also use it outdoors pointed up to 'feather', the edge of the light on the subject.

Putting the dome on the flash and pointing it directly at the subject will give you quire a hard light source, similar to the bare speedlight, assuming it's not reflecting off anything else nearby. It's going to very difficult to get soft light projected far away with an on-camera flash.

What are you trying to light with it?

I've been using Sandisk Extreme Pro, they are 95 mbps read speed but more importantly they are 90 mbps write speed so your buffer can empty itself quicker than most other cards. It's difficult to find a quoted write speed on many brands, but write speed is usually a lot lower than the specified read speed.

Extreme pro are much cheaper now than they were, I was looking at getting more today I paid about 40% more 18 months ago. Moore's law in action I guess.

Edit: Here's a SD card test and some explanation of write speeds in D750:

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d750/fastest-sd-card-speed-tests/
I went for a couple of the Kingston ones mentioned in that test.

I thought I was OCD, but my sis in law has gone that step further with her D750 purchase this weekend.

1. Go to park cameras and pick up D750
2. Get half way home and see some pretty scences
3. Sis in law gets out new D750 and goes to put lens on
4. Said D750 has slight rattle when its tilted back and forth
5. Travel back to shop
6. Try model on display - makes same noise
7. Go to staff memeber - who says its the orientation sensor
8. Do not believe staff member and get staff member to get another D750 from stock room - makes same noise
9. Leave with original D750
10. Get home - check mine - does same thing
11. Moan at OCD family member
12. Do not show face in Park Camers for long time

This noise is normal right? My god she has kicked in my OCD!

Try the Honl system, it's a perfect workaround.

In all seriousness does everyone else's D750 have a slight noise when you tilt it forward and backward? It's not the flash springs and although guy in shop said it's orientation sesnsor, I just wanted to make sure I'm not alone before I have OCD meltdown!

Oh and @anibap that's a great capture.

[QUOTE"JJ!, post: 7362545, member: 20894"]In all seriousness does everyone else's D750 have a slight noise when you tilt it forward and backward? It's not the flash springs and although guy in shop said it's orientation sesnsor, I just wanted to make sure I'm not alone before I have OCD meltdown!

Oh and @anibap that's a great capture.[/QUOTE]
There Is definitely a rattle in mine. Everything seems to be working ok though.

Back