Nikon D750 & D780

Thanks - I'd been dithering for absolutely ages (or at least it felt ages), so I'd been following one on eBay this past week and noticed they'd dropped the BiN price by £100, so I bit the bullet.

Looking forward to using it in anger, hopefully the weekend, although I need to find a bag big enough to hold it...

Can anyone recommend a bag (preferably messenger style) that can comfortably hold the 750 + 70-200mm, along with a couple other lenses? Does such a thing exist? I'm looking at bags, but I can't tell how big they are...

Erm... Erm... Lowepro Classified 160.

Erm... Erm... Lowepro Classified 160.
Thanks I'll take a look.

What do you use to lug your gear around, out of interest?

I've got a Lowepro Fastpack 350 which might accommodate it, but it's a bit bulky to just grab and go. #firstworldproblems

Nice shot. As I said to JJ use a heavier lens for a while and the 70-200mm then doesn't feel bad at all ;)
Cheers - I think I'll just have to start benching the boy to bulk up. ;)

Last edited:
I will be interested how you get on. I have a 2 night stay booked on skomer in July, just hoping the weather is kind to me photographically.

You'll need two days to get the best from the island... I spent a day there last year and a week on Skokholm a couple of years ago with some of the TP crowd.

Remember to pack a wide-angle... If you've never been before, you'll be amazed at how close the puffins will get to you (especially up on the Wick). Who are you going with? If Drew Buckley is your 'guide', you'll have a great time. Lovely bloke and very knowledgeable. :)

well I've just received my camera back from Nikon was in the latest batch to be recalled took 3 weeks to get the post it email and 12 days to get it back well pleased new shutter and service and clean :)

JJ, if you want to strengthen your wrists and forearms (and perhaps fingers) you should take up climbing. It doesn't have to be full on mountaineering (although that's more fun!) but just bouldering at your local indoor centre will do. In no time you'll be picking up your D750 and telephoto lens between thumb and forefinger... ;)

Meant to say, I received my Phot-R rubber lens hoods today. Bloomin' awesome bits of kit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IAPDQP8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I ordered a 52mm for my 50mm which now looks like a "proper" lens with it attached.

They're great and work just like the foldback rubber hoods on Mamiyas. No mucking around taking them off and turning them around, you just push them in and they disappear. I do think they'd snag against a Lee filter holder but that aside they work great!

Apologies for the crummy photos but here's a pair of very quick snaps of it on the 85mm. Not bad for less than £3!

8DJDK0g.jpg

4wqZ61X.jpg

I really must do better at this product photography lark - I could have done better with my camera phone!

I will let you know how I get on. Im booked in for the 15th June. £ 35. Its a 6 hr day, taking in two island ,with a 2hr stay on two of the islands. trips around the coastline seal watching, with the chance of a dolphin sighting.
Not sure on what lens to take tho.

You'll need two days to get the best from the island... I spent a day there last year and a week on Skokholm a couple of years ago with some of the TP crowd.

Remember to pack a wide-angle... If you've never been before, you'll be amazed at how close the puffins will get to you (especially up on the Wick). Who are you going with? If Drew Buckley is your 'guide', you'll have a great time. Lovely bloke and very knowledgeable. :)
I went last year with a few friends, this year I'm going back with the wife. I've booked our own stay so no guide booked. It's a small island, the wardens and volunteers are happy to point you in the right direction. It's a shame I'm not going to be there on a Monday, last year was fantastic being left for 36 hours with only 16 visitors on the island. Definitely need to try more wide angle this time. The problem can be keeping the puffins out of the minimum focus distance.

What do you fancy next Paul?

I`ve decided I`m gonna have a try with the Sigma 20mm f1.4 :) I wasn`t very impressed with the build quality of the Tamron tbh. My 150-600 seems fine, but it appears there are quite a few zoom jams with the 15-30, so going to stick with primes (I hope) ...

Last edited:
I`ve decided I`m gonna have a try with the Sigma 20mm f1.4 :) I wasn`t very impressed with the build quality of the Tamron tbh. My 150-600 seems fine, but it appears there are quite a few zoom jams with the 15-30, so going to stick with primes (I hope) ...

Shame you can't use filters with the Signa art :(

Shame you can't use filters with the Signa art :(

I don`t tend to use filters much anyway Tim. I`ve had a set setting in my bag for over a year, and used them maybe twice. I`ll bracket if I need to (lazy method ;))
Besides, it`ll mainly be architecture and arty farty stuff, mainly, then lanscapage (which I`m crap at anyway) :)

Last edited:
That's nice Anirban, well seen, with great comp', and a very nice mono conversion.(y)

George.
Thanks George, appreciate your comments [emoji3]

I don`t tend to use filters much anyway Tim. I`ve had a set setting in my bag for over a year, and used them maybe twice. I`ll bracket if I need to (lazy method ;))
Besides, it`ll mainly be architecture and arty farty stuff, mainly, then lanscapage (which I`m crap at anyway) :)

I'll be honest - I used to think the same. Perhaps with the exception of the CPL.

But then I started using filters for non-landscape shooting (outdoor portraits to get shutter speed down to flash sync) and I realised setting up a holder doesn't really take long. If you're taking landscapes anyway you'll be setting up a tripod etc., going slow, and adding 20sec to get your filter bag out isn't much. It takes me far longer than that in post to recombine two brackets...

I missed not using my 10 stop when I had the 14mm hence the move to the 20mm 1.8g

Makes you sick doesn't it?

Anyone wanna buy all my kit?
You can take shots like that. It would just be nice to have the time to go to all these events and see such wonderful cars, working 6 days a week sucks :(

You can take shots like that. It would just be nice to have the time to go to all these events and see such wonderful cars, working 6 days a week sucks :(

:agree: I will have to have a proper look later on I like looking at them and having the exf details to try and learn what setting worked.

I wnat my D750 back now love the D300 but god its so different to the D750 I mean to get liveview you have to have a master degree!

D750 must be selling very well. Loads of places out of stock!

Here are some shots that I took at Knockhill on 1st May. It's usually extremely busy when I am there so it was quite nice to have a choice of where to shoot.
All of these were taken with my D750 and Tamron 70-300. Do feel I maybe need to invest in the VC version as I just have the cheap £100 version with no VC. I do feel my motorsport shots could do with a slightly slower shutter speed. The weather wasn't so good in the morning when we were here which is when the Fiesta shots were taken, it wasn't the best light. They also looked better quality before sharing via Flickr to here, not sure if it's the option I chose?

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishLegends
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishLegends
by dtennant9, on Flickr

Last edited:
Here are some shots that I took at Knockhill on 1st May. It's usually extremely busy when I am there so it was quite nice to have a choice of where to shoot.
All of these were taken with my D750 and Tamron 70-300. Do feel I maybe need to invest in the VC version as I just have the cheap £100 version with no VC. I do feel my motorsport shots could do with a slightly slower shutter speed. The weather wasn't so good in the morning when we were here which is when the Fiesta shots were taken, it wasn't the best light. They also looked better quality before sharing via Flickr to here, not sure if it's the option I chose?

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishLegends
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishLegends
by dtennant9, on Flickr
Nothing wrong with those. Clearly the weather didn't help, and they're never going to be as sharp as shots taken with a 70-200mm but they're pretty decent efforts imo.

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishFiestas
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishLegends
by dtennant9, on Flickr

ScottishLegends
by dtennant9, on Flickr

Good shots, but it's not by coincedence that your best shots out of those have the slowest shutter speeds.

Nothing wrong with those. Clearly the weather didn't help, and they're never going to be as sharp as shots taken with a 70-200mm but they're pretty decent efforts imo.

Thanks, a 70-200 is on my wish list but may need to save up for a while :(

Good shots, but it's not by coincedence that your best shots out of those have the slowest shutter speeds.

Thanks, I'm hoping to get back for the Superbikes in June and hopefully I can push the shutter speeds a bit slower.

VC won't really help with Motorsport so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I would aim for a lower angle and just work on the panning. You really don't need an expensive lens for Motorsport, sharpness almost all comes from nailing technique.

As for the Flickr issue, it's nothing you've done, they just transfer across to forums very badly.

Back