Nikon D750 & D780

Really well I await for someone to prove me wrong

5D mark 2 and Canon 35 1.4L.

Im moving from Canon (2 X 5D2 , 35 , 50, 85) to Nikon so selling my gear slowly over the next few months.

I generally shoot most of a wedding with 35 / 85 combination. I have a canon 24-70 f2.8L as well as the 85 1.2 L.

The reason for the sigma is that the reviews are awesome and its half the price of the Nik Equivalent. Its pin sharp, built like a tank and a lot less than the nik....

Final set up will look like
2 X D750
35 1.4 ART
85 1.4 (either Nikon or Sigma ART when available)

Then, as funds permit
24mm 1.4
50mm something or other
And something longer like 135mm.

The annoying thing is that the canon 50 1.2, 85 1.2, and 135 are amazing lenses, and if I could have a canon Nikon combination I would.

But the price of the D750 new is less than a S/H 5D3, and it beats it in terms of AF speed. AF in low light and dynamic range.

I will have to post the shot I jut edited. I exposed for a stormy sky, keeping al the highlights and pulled up the shadows by 4 stops. At 100ISO there was no noise / grain....Nothing. In fact I added grain to the final image. The details in the windows of the buildings was incredible...

I will post it up tonight.

Similar path to me. I'm going to be a little controversial and say that in terms of absolute resolution and general image quality then there's no real discerning difference from my 5D2, under normal conditions. However, the DR is superb and the autofocus clearly is in a different league.

Had mine back finally from Nikon last Friday. It's had something replaced but they haven't marked it with the special dot for some reason. Will also point out that mine didn't exhibit the problem at all before it went in.

Last edited:
Fantastic really kept details didn't it.

yep, amazing sensor. i really pulled this file about too. Edited in Lightroom, then in Alien Skin Exposure 7, then back to lightroom.

What that software really like compare to Lightroom pls? Which u used mostly?

Cheers

I'm hoping to pop into Currys on the way home tonight to see if the have a D750 in so I can handle one and see how ti feels etc (I know its like an toher camera)

One question I have is if I buy from Panamoz will it have a UK plug or European 2 pin plug?

What that software really like compare to Lightroom pls? Which u used mostly?

Cheers

I use LR mostly. In fact I bought ASE on a whim as I kept gravitating to other images that have used it. Its incredibly simple yet has amazing power and control.

As an example, I edited an image of a woman in a church and in within a few clicks on ASE had enhanced the sun flare and added lovely tones. Im still learning how NOT to overdo it. Subtlety is definitely key.

Try the 30day free trial.

Ah it a LR plugin.. I don't have it yet as my 30 days trail ended as I have been a long term Aperture user but since it now dead i might have to move over to LR.. As I don't think the new Apple Photo that coming out going to be anywhere near as good

I think if you order through Panamoz they send a UK one as standard. as I said, mine was ordered through them and that's what I received.

Ah it a LR plugin.. I don't have it yet as my 30 days trail ended as I have been a long term Aperture user but since it now dead i might have to move over to LR.. As I don't think the new Apple Photo that coming out going to be anywhere near as good

Alien Skin Exposure 7 works both as a plugin for Lightroom and Photoshop but also as a standalone program, if you download it from https://app.alienskin.com/downloads/ you'll get a 15 day trial. I've just tried it myself, it works well in both a standalone program and a plugin fro Photoshop. I can't find it within Lightroom but I did notice it only had Photoshop listed during the installation.

Thanks for your replies regarding the plug :thinking: now I just need to press that button......

It turns out at least 2 of me lenses are DX format

The Sigma 10-20 is the DC version and the tamron is for DX too which is a pain in the ....... as I use te 18-200 tamron on the D7000 more or less constantly! BUt I guess if I go for the 24-120 with the D750 6mm isn't going to make a big difference.

I also found out 2 old lens from a film camera I had

a Nikkor18-100

and a Tamron 80-210 Adaptall (I have the adaptor)

Will these work on full frame without cropping?

What picture mode people using on there d750 pls?

Also any of u using active d lighting?

as I use te 18-200 tamron on the D7000 more or less constantly! BUt I guess if I go for the 24-120 with the D750 6mm isn't going to make a big difference.
The Tamron 18-200 is an equivalent full frame focal length of 28-300 so the 24-120 f/4 will be wider than your existing lens - but not as long.

At one time today I though about sticking mine on the Classified and get a OMD EM 5II for being more compact

Don't get me wrong this D750 is a brilliant camera it better than the OMD but I still think I need something smaller LOL

Further to previous posts - just had acknowledgement that my d750 will be returned tomorrow - for those interested the following details are on the invoice

Metering, shutter and exposure accuracy checked - recalibrated if necessary.
Image capture, playback and delete functions checked.
X-sync, hot shoe and speedlight function checked.
Body depth, body focus, AF accuracy checked and recalibrated if necessary.
Image Sensor, optics, mirrors, and viewfinder cleaned.
Firmware version checked and updated if required.
Clean and check Image Sensor unit.
Reported faults identified and repaired.
All other functions checked.
All equipment including accessories cleaned and returned.
Inspect camera related to flare phenomenon in strong backlit situations as announced by Nikon's Support-
FAQ/Announcement. Check/improve light shielding. Check/adjust position of AF-Sensor within Mirror-Box
compartment. Test and adjust camera according to manufacturer's specifications.
Flare occurs regularly with any DSLR-camera when images with strong backlight situations are taken. Technically,
manufacturers can not eliminate this phenomenon completely. Users can reduce/eliminate this phenomenon by
using lens-hood or recomposing the image.
Adjusted back focus.

Labour Charges
SR Repair Scheme 0.00 1 0.00
Parts Fitted
FRONT BODY UNIT 0.00 1 0.00
GRIP UNIT 0.00 1 0.00
REAR RUBBER UNIT 0.00 1 0.00
SIDE RUBBER UNIT 0.00

Very interesting - I had reported that although I had not experienced 'flair' but had experienced 'focus' issues - they seem to have checked this and 'adjusted back focus' . I look forward to receiving my 750 back tomorrow.

Not sure how relevant this observation is but I also have a Nikon DF and all the lenses it shares with the D750 I have not had to fine tune for the DF but really struggled with the 750 - so we'll see how it is when I get it back . I have wondered whether the manufacturers specs (tolerances) are a bit tighter for the more expensive (pro level) cams like the the D4 etc and maybe the DF which has the 'round pro type' viewfinder.

BTW - my d750 is a grey and no problems with Nikon on the recall or anything else I reported like the focus.

Hope this is of interest / use to others on the forum

best from mike

Big (y) from me for Panamoz. Sent order on Friday evening received tracking number on Saturday camera arrived this morning after sitting over a day in Belfast due to the snow.

That very quick services

The Tamron 18-200 is an equivalent full frame focal length of 28-300 so the 24-120 f/4 will be wider than your existing lens - but not as long.

Thank you for that I still have a lot to learn it would seam. I have a Nikkor 70-300 vr for more length.

I'm hoping to go to the Photography Show in a few weeks. But I doubt I'll get a better deal then online. Given even if you added VAT to the package price before the discount offered for bank transfer its still £300 cheaper

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to show last year and there was some good deals but year before wasn't as good. This year might be good might not be it all depends on what deals the manufacture gives the sellers i.e. Calumet etc

I went to show last year and there was some good deals but year before wasn't as good. This year might be good might not be it all depends on what deals the manufacture gives the sellers i.e. Calumet etc
what show is that ?

Yes that correct

Have now received D750 back from repair and apart from resetting back to factory default all looks fine and dandy. One point - no black dot in the tripod screw mount ! Not that concerned as I have the detailed invoice for work carried out. Will test focus in next couple of days.

I got my D750 back on Monday. It still had all of its settings intact and has the black dot. AF seems fine.

hi will are you in the uk ? did it go to Kingston upon thames ? so I lost my settings and missed out on the black spot ! could make a story up about the 'BLACK SPOT' :thinking:

hi will are you in the uk ? did it go to Kingston upon thames ? so I lost my settings and missed out on the black spot ! could make a story up about the 'BLACK SPOT' :thinking:
Yes, it went to Kingston upon Thames. I backed up my settings to SD before I sent it off just in case, but was pleasantly surprised to find them unchanged. The black spot appears to just be a dab of paint. You could just DIY!

How many of you know the standard full stop f number scale - where each number ascending allows half the light in to the sensor/film ?

This may surprise some of you when you look at your (fast) lens apertures

f/No. 0.7 1.0 1.4 2 2.8 4 5.6 8 11 16 22 32 45 64 90 128 180 256

These are the 1/4 stop increases between f1.4 and f4 Full stops in red

1.4 1.5 1.7 1.8 2 2.2 2.4 2.6 2.8 3.1 3.4 3.7 4

My new D750 has just arrived, courtesy of Panamoz. It came with a UK plug and according to the Nikon website/serial number check is unaffected by flare issues. Unfortunately I forgot to bring a lens in to work so I can't have a proper play until I get home :crying:

My new D750 has just arrived, courtesy of Panamoz. It came with a UK plug and according to the Nikon website/serial number check is unaffected by flare issues. Unfortunately I forgot to bring a lens in to work so I can't have a proper play until I get home :crying:

Charge the battery ;)

Charge the battery ;)
Exactly what I'm doing :) If it finishes charging before I finish work I'll start changing the settings to what I use but until then I've nothing to do except what they pay me for.

Back