Nikon D750 or Canon 5d mark iii for sports?

N

N_Fce

Hi guys,

Before anyone sais anything I know they're not suited for sports photography but that's the best I can get. I have Nikon d700 at the moment and thinking on investigating in a new camera. Choice is Nikon D750 or Canon 5d mark iii. I will shout mostly indoors sport events and occasionally maybe some weddings for friends. Any advice and help will be much appreciated.

I would have thought as the nikon is newer and with the new sensor that might be slightly better for indoor sports

What sports? Sports that rely on freezing action, sports that reply on slower shutter speed, sports that rely on high FPS?

Alternatively the 7D Mk II may be the camera for sports, both indoors and out.

Mostly Crossfit so you have a variety of situation. Some of it can be really quick and some can be shot at wide aperture to create shallow depth.

You can visit my website to see what kind of shots I usually do.

www.rxdphotography.co.uk

Both are great cameras and both will suit your needs perfectly.

I'll stick to my "go and try them both out" piece of advice.

Unfortunately I can't go and try then both out, otherwise I would

Ok then from a personal perspective I'd go for the D750, and I've had both.

It's smaller and more comfortable than the 5D and its low light capability is incredible. It can literally see in the dark with usable images at ridiculously high ISO. For me that's the deal breaker.

Last edited:
You could consider the 7d2, it looks like a good sports spec and the grand you save could go on a 70-200 F2.8 to go with it :)

It's smaller and more comfortable than the 5D and its low light capability is incredible. It can literally see in the dark with usable images at ridiculously high ISO. For me that's the deal breaker.

I suppose that depends on the size of your, or the OP's hands!

I'm looking at nikon d750 with 24-70mm 2.8 or canon 5d mark iii with 24-70mm to start with. Main thing is fast and accurate focus. Canon appeals more if I'll need a second body as I could get canon 7d or even 5d Mark ii.

... Canon appeals more if I'll need a second body as I could get canon 7d or even 5d Mark ii.
Curious statement to make o_O you already have a Nikon D700 which is a perfectly good camera, equally as good as a Canon 5d MkII and almost certainly better in low light than a Canon 7D :confused:

Ok, go for Canon then. 5D3 is the smallest comfortable body. Any smaller and its no good.

I would wait and see (not long now) what the Canon 7D Mark II has to offer - It's specifically designed for sports action and wildlife. Check out the online previews.

One big factor though surely has to be how many Nikon lenses you currently own - You have already invested in a Nikon system.

I don't mind that much about fps as I always try to catch the moment myself instead of just firing away. Quick and accurate focus is most important. Don't mind changing system as I only have couple of primes that I use at the moment and looking I getting 24-70mm 2.8 so I don't have swap around lenses during the event

I don't mind that much about fps as I always try to catch the moment myself instead of just firing away. Quick and accurate focus is most important. Don't mind changing system as I only have couple of primes that I use at the moment and looking I getting 24-70mm 2.8 so I don't have swap around lenses during the event

It's an easy choice then, the D750 focussing system is streets ahead of the 5Diii, and don't get me started on low light performance. Ross Harveys review and comparison in low light says all you need to know.

That said if you have any kind of draw towards Canon or you like the ergonomics better, or whatever. Go with the 5D. Both are amazing cameras and will deliver above and beyond what you need it for.

I think it's widely excepted that the Nikon (Sony) sensors have better colour depth, dynamic range and low light capability (-3EV). The D750 is very intuitive to use and is very comfortable in the hand, subjective but important if you're using it all day. 6.5 FPS it's fast and responsive which is ideal for wedding photojournalism. The AF system which shares the same 51 point as the D4s and is fast and dynamic. Its a great camera all round.

Although a few Canon users are reportedly jumping ship the 5D Mk 4 is only a heartbeat away. I don't believe it's ever worth changing systems it's far to costly.

It's an easy choice then, the D750 focussing system is streets ahead of the 5Diii, and don't get me started on low light performance. Ross Harveys review and comparison in low light says all you need to know.

That said if you have any kind of draw towards Canon or you like the ergonomics better, or whatever. Go with the 5D. Both are amazing cameras and will deliver above and beyond what you need it for.

....So, the Nikon D750 focussing is reported as being streets ahead of the Canon 5D3, but if you are drawn towards Canon is it also better than the Canon 7D Mark II?

You have said you want a camera for indoor sports events and occasional weddings, so the Canon 7D Mark II is most definitely a very strong contender indeed. It's available from end of this month. If you think it ought to be a serious contender, then hang on a bit for the price to reduce unless you can afford a pre-order deal next week. Here are some informative preview vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAckPcKK76U&spfreload=10 < Some wedding example shots in this vid.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something here (wouldn't be unusual), but isn't the 7D MkII a crop sensor? How can that be better indoors and therefore low light than a full frame sensor? If the need is to use it in low light then either of the 5DMkIII or D750 would seem to be a better bet ... but perhaps I am missing something :confused:

Ill happily admit that the Sony sensors nikon use are better in noise and dynamic range but ill need some convincing that the D750 AF is "streets ahead"of a 5D3.

Ill happily admit that the Sony sensors nikon use are better in noise and dynamic range but ill need some convincing that the D750 AF is "streets ahead"of a 5D3.

A good place to start would be to look at the Nikon D4s and D810 AF.

And what would that tell me?

Well the D750 uses a slightly upgraded D810 AF system, albeit with slightly smaller AF grouping. And the D810 had the same one as the D4S.

It is mate, the AF on the D750 is better than on the D3S

So because two people say so it has to be true. After my last side by side with a D4 you'll forgive me if I seem a bit sceptical Gary.

Gaz, my best advice to you is to get both a Canon and Nikon side-by-side and fire up the AF. Until you do that you will remain cynical.

Gaz, my best advice to you is to get both a Canon and Nikon side-by-side and fire up the AF. Until you do that you will remain cynical.

I have done and the D4 came second. And andy rouse said they Canon AF is better than Nikon AF so he had to change brands........ Again.

So really given my real world experience and andy's views I'm obviously right. :p

Having said that I'd probably buy the Nikon if I was shooting weddings indoors.

I'm just waiting for the nikonistas to tell me that Nikon video is better than anything that canon can do.

Last edited:
In the real world there's probably not much between the AF, it boils down to Nikon -v - Canon bias, the only way to know for sure is in lab tests. Even then how do you eliminate bias? The web is probably full of them.

It's what works for you that really counts.

Spot on nick. It's what works for you. Gary said in another thread that he'd blown away 1DX's with a D3S. I've had similar experience with my 1DX against a D4. So much so that the guy sent the D4 back to Nikon for a check up.

I've looked at my mates D800 images and thought "these are so good, better than my 5D3". At low ISO the dynamic range is something else. But I like the ergonomics of canons. Maybe they should get together and build combi cameras with the best bits from both.

Oops they already do. It's got Canon on the top. :)

Get out there and use em. b*****ks to the minutiae. Enjoy.

Spot on nick. It's what works for you. Gary said in another thread that he'd blown away 1DX's with a D3S. I've had similar experience with my 1DX against a D4. So much so that the guy sent the D4 back to Nikon for a check up.

I've looked at my mates D800 images and thought "these are so good, better than my 5D3". At low ISO the dynamic range is something else. But I like the ergonomics of canons. Maybe they should get together and build combi cameras with the best bits from both.

Oops they already do. It's got Canon on the top. :)

Get out there and use em. b*****ks to the minutiae. Enjoy.

Interestingly, the first Canon did actually have a Nikon lens !

So because two people say so it has to be true. After my last side by side with a D4 you'll forgive me if I seem a bit sceptical Gary.
You have noticed that the only person making reference to the D4 is you havent you

Last edited:

Well you'd be looking for it in the wrong place if you're asking me to convince you.

I have Nikon, Fuji, Canon and Leica systems; none of which I feel "attached" to at all. I don't know if the D750 is "technically" better at AF than Canon, I just know how it performs for me. The D750 is one of the best cameras Ive picked up in the last five years (which in camera terms these days is a life time), along with the Fuji X100S, which I also fell in love with.

The Canon v Nikon debate is only validated because people don't want to feel like they've drawn the short straw.... The truth is they're both producing amazing cameras.

Back