Nikon D750 & D780

ok the comment was slightly tongue in cheek but a so called professional body with "A" mode seriously? thats auto ,not aperture priority.

How this stream has grown in such a short time since the official release.
Well I have recently been seriously looking at trading in my Nikon and Or Canon systems in for a lighter more compact system from either Fuji or Olympus.
But this new D750 may just have saved the day for me.
I had looked at the Df at this years NEC photography show but was really disappointed with the feel of the camera in my hands and the rip off price tbh.
A number of years back I shot a friends wedding from 7.30am till turned midnight on the day.
Shooting with a pair of D3s and SB 900s on them with the holy trinity of lens.
By the end of the day the shear weight of the gear had taken it,s toll on me wrists,elbows,shoulders and back had left me in severe discomfort.
And my partner at that time who was second shooter for me had used my D80 18-200mm VR and a SB600.
And was still fresh as a bloody daisy even though we both had a long day.
I down loaded all the files into folders on my laptop and backed up to a HD.

So where am I gong with all this?
Well after viewing the files and they were processed you would have been hard pushed to tell if you could what was shot on what ever camera.
I sold one of my D3 bodies and the 3 Holy Trinity len's
And be totally honest I haven't missed them.
I now shoot with A D700 fitted with a 28-300mm VR or a D300 with my Fuji S5pro with a couple of zooms 18-200 VR and Tokina ATX 10-17mm.
I am now very tempted to sell my D3 to purchase a D750 as I still have a lot of Nikon glass primes and zooms that could be used with this smaller lighter advanced camera.
This is only the second Nikon release in a number of years to have tempted me to replace the kit I am already using.
Nice one Nikon;-)

Last edited:
Just shoot the damn thing right in the first place (not meaning you deci but anyone) people need to study lighting and exposure.

I think you misunderstood my point - it's not about getting the exposure right, it's about creative underexposing or (less common) overexposing. Using that DR to capture something you couldn't do straight out of camera - preserving highlights that would be lost with 'correct' exposure. Sam Hurd's underexposure wasn't accidental, but rather it's part of how he shoots and I love that.

My current style of photography is influenced by these amazing new sensors. I love upping my game when I find new abilities in my new gear. The D750's tilt screen should add another dimension to how I shoot.

For those who shoot JPG or have no interest in doing stuff like that, then I yeah, I get your point. There's really no reason to upgrade if you're happy with the images you're getting.

ok the comment was slightly tongue in cheek but a so called professional body with "A" mode seriously? thats auto ,not aperture priority.

Does it actually bother you though? Would it affect how you work? Doesn't the Canon 5Diii, a very capable body used by pros everywhere, have an Auto setting? It certainly has a PASM dial.

If you've used a D6** you'll come to thank every God you can think of for the U1 and U2 functions, especially if you shoot weddings or events. I can set U1 with a base setting for inside the church while U2 is setup for outside, meaning with a flick of a dial I am ready to shoot the couple at the church doors on a bright day after exiting a dark church. I can set U1 for the backlit top table and U2 for the front lit reception room where the guests are watching from.... etc etc. All of this while still shooting manual and never touching the dreaded AUTO function. In fact, I don't think i've set any camera i've ever owned to either P or Auto modes, and it's never bothered me that either are there!

My only disappointment with this dial, the root of so much silly consternation, is that I would have liked it to have even more (U)ser settings banks.

Who gives a s**t if it has an auto mode. Does it make YOU any less professional by owning it? Don't need it, don't use it. Simple.

Bloody amateurs.... far too obsessed with what your gear "says" about you. Are you even a professional? You think professionals would actually give a crap if a camera had an auto mode on it? FFS.... who cares?

I think you misunderstood my point - it's not about getting the exposure right, it's about creative underexposing or (less common) overexposing. Using that DR to capture something you couldn't do straight out of camera - preserving highlights that would be lost with 'correct' exposure. Sam Hurd's underexposure wasn't accidental, but rather it's part of how he shoots and I love that.

My current style of photography is influenced by these amazing new sensors. I love upping my game when I find new abilities in my new gear. The D750's tilt screen should add another dimension to how I shoot.

For those who shoot JPG or have no interest in doing stuff like that, then I yeah, I get your point. There's really no reason to upgrade if you're happy with the images you're getting.

Does it actually bother you though? Would it affect how you work? Doesn't the Canon 5Diii, a very capable body used by pros everywhere, have an Auto setting? It certainly has a PASM dial.

If you've used a D6** you'll come to thank every God you can think of for the U1 and U2 functions, especially if you shoot weddings or events. I can set U1 with a base setting for inside the church while U2 is setup for outside, meaning with a flick of a dial I am ready to shoot the couple at the church doors on a bright day after exiting a dark church. I can set U1 for the backlit top table and U2 for the front lit reception room where the guests are watching from.... etc etc. All of this while still shooting manual and never touching the dreaded AUTO function. In fact, I don't think i've set any camera i've ever owned to either P or Auto modes, and it's never bothered me that either are there!

My only disappointment with this dial, the root of so much silly consternation, is that I would have liked it to have even more (U)ser settings banks.
i see what your saying about whether you use the dial or not but its a "nonsense" no need thing that could have for example been another more usefull thing hope that makes sense. also the d700 has 4 user modes which are just i button away cheers mike.

Who gives a s**t if it has an auto mode. Does it make YOU any less professional by owning it? Don't need it, don't use it. Simple.

Bloody amateurs.... far too obsessed with what your gear "says" about you. Are you even a professional? You think professionals would actually give a crap if a camera had an auto mode on it? FFS.... who cares?
pookey as agressive as ever :clap: amateur or professional why put something on a camera that the "target" user will never use,waste of space in my opinion.

Last edited:
pookey as agressive as ever :clap: amateur or professional why put something on a camera that the "target" user will never use,waste of space in my opinion.

Because professionals never use auto modes, yes?

LOL

thats my point its not about amateur or pro just no need for auto on a camera of this spec, or am i missing something? as an aside to this if, i could afford it my next upgrade would be a D810 not the D750.

Last edited:
This thread has been excellent at highlighting those who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

thats my point its not about amateur or pro just no need for auto on a camera of this spec, or am i missing something?

Yes.. you're missing something. There's a use for an automatic mode on all cameras. Sometimes you just need to work fast to record something when creative or artistic interpretation is of no importance. Most professional SLRs still have a programme mode too, why aren't you complaining about that? The D810 has "P" mode... Is that also not a full auto mode. Does that make the D810 an amateur camera?

Yes.. you're missing something. There's a use for an automatic mode on all cameras. Sometimes you just need to work fast to record something when creative or artistic interpretation is of no importance. Most professional SLRs still have a programme mode too, why aren't you complaining about that? The D810 has "P" mode... Is that also not a full auto mode. Does that make the D810 an amateur camera?
Yes, if I'm using it! ;):p

The D700 4 user modes are convoluted and nowhere near as intuitive as those on the D610. A quick two button press saves the setting (this includes shutter speed, aperture, shooting mode, AF mode, ISO (including Auto on/off), and a flick of the dial recalls them instantaneously. It really is something I miss on my D4 and I now understand why my 5D owning friends were perplexed that neither the D700 or D800 had this ability.

Got to admit that while i shoot full manual 99% of the time if i need to use flash then P mode it is for me

The noise is more than acceptable when at base ISO. Obviously things change from 800 upwards. It's opened up all sorts of new creativity in my shooting in both sunlight and long-exposure nighttime stuff. As I've said, I was firmly in the "why won't they replace the D700 properly" camp until the D750 was announced.
I have the 810; had the 800... there's a lot of variables to "acceptable noise," and you can get away with a ton if you're taking a D8xx and using it at less than 10%.

If it suits what you're doing and you need it, then use it. But it's not something I'm going to add to my workflow/bag of tricks.

I don't use the word pro to be snobbish but whatever the equipment from knives and pans to cameras pro stuff is normal better as it's designed for a lot of use. In many cases it's overkill but a pro camera would be even better built and have more buttons. It would also normally be larger as when using big glass it helps with balance.

Just back from having a lengthy bit of time with one in a shop, thanks to a good friend who works there.

For anyone belittling the build, simply don't until you've tried it. Its not a d620. It feels robust and professional. The grip is much deeper which helps it feel more balanced. Although lighter than the d610 on paper, the solidity means it doesn't feel that way. Back button shooters wont like the lack of AF-on button but as I'm used to the reprogrammed back button on the d610, it didn't bother me. Pity they didn't add one or at least make the existing al button a bit closer to the thumb grip.

The screen doesn't make it feel cheap or amateurish. Its respectably solid. The display looks fantastic too, although i couldn't get exposure preview in lv mode - the manual had led me to believe that was possible.

Af was easily as snappy and accurate as my d4. Very impressive. Metering though was the most impressive thing. It seems to deal with backlighting and judges dark colours better than the d4.

Colours and image quality are superb, but nothing you haven't already seen on the d810/d610. WB pretty much nailed it every time.

Just back from having a lengthy bit of time with one in a shop, thanks to a good friend who works there.

For anyone belittling the build, simply don't until you've tried it. Its not a d620. It feels robust and professional. The grip is much deeper which helps it feel more balanced. Although lighter than the d610 on paper, the solidity means it doesn't feel that way. Back button shooters wont like the lack of AF-on button but as I'm used to the reprogrammed back button on the d610, it didn't bother me. Pity they didn't add one or at least make the existing al button a bit closer to the thumb grip.

The screen doesn't make it feel cheap or amateurish. Its respectably solid. The display looks fantastic too, although i couldn't get exposure preview in lv mode - the manual had led me to believe that was possible.

Af was easily as snappy and accurate as my d4. Very impressive. Metering though was the most impressive thing. It seems to deal with backlighting and judges dark colours better than the d4.

Colours and image quality are superb, but nothing you haven't already seen on the d810/d610. WB pretty much nailed it every time.

joeturner, I assume you still think it has poor build quality, after all your opinion is more valid because you haven't even used it.

This thread has been utterly amazing.

On paper this looks like a great camera. Sorts out all there is missing from D610 and improves. Furthermore not 36mp is a bonus...and the tilted screen god I have been wanting one on a decent body for ages.

Last edited:
My camera is always set to "P" for professional mode. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Just back from having a quick fiddle with a D750. The good news is that this glasses wearing, left-eyed shooter found the back button to be in perfectly usable position. The grip is better than the D700 and, although light in weight, the camera feels well built and not at all 'amateur'. The eye cup/viewfinder was another concern as a specs wearer, but it's great. If the low light/high ISO performance is a match for a D3S I'll find it hard to resist.:(:D

Edit - Side by side with a D700 it isn't noticeably smaller either.

Last edited:
So I have a real dilemma... unless Nikon plan to bring out a new camera in the next few months!! Currently have a D700 with a D300 as backup or when I need reach. While I love everything about the D700 I do want to upgrade... getting even better ISO would help, having more MP would at times be nice and obviously technology has moved on since the D700 came out. Depending on budgets I may keep the D700 as backup so that I have 2 FF cameras.

Have thought about getting another D700 - great value and having 2 identical cameras is nice but the newer cameras have 2 memory slots as well as other improvements, so that probably ruled out. I have thought about the D610 as that is not much more than a used D700 although put off by the AF and the size.

So, it looks like a shoot out between the D800 and the D750 (D810 is out of range). Both are roughly the same (albeit 2nd hand for D800). D800 gives me great MP (overkill tbh, but maybe useful for extreme cropping for aircraft), and the same type of pro body as the D700. FPS is fine, and the ISO is at least as good if not better than the D700. Bit put off by the comments about the AF though. D750 spec wise is pretty much spot on - especially if its got the same type of AF in the D700 (ie not like the 610 crammed in the middle). However, I have concerns about the size (I prefer bigger bodies, and use big heavy glass most of the time), and maybe the fact the controls are different to the D700. No need for the tilting screen. If only I could put the D750 in a D800 case!!

It doesn't really matter which body you get, the controls will be a bit different from your D700. But most of the major functions that you're likely to change in the middle of shooting will be consistent between bodies.

If you won't ever have any real use for the D8xx file sizes, and especially since the D810 is out of the mix, then I think it has to be the D750.... You can always add a grip to it for balance.

The D750 arrived today,

There is nothing fragile about this body, its solid and well made. I would add the caveat here that obviously if you pick it up by the pop up flash / commander, or the articulated LCD screen and swing it about you're probably going to break something - in the real world you're not going to do this are you !

There is nothing very flimsy about this camera. The articulated LCD screen even in the open position is quite firm. It's action to open it is smooth but firm (dampered). The build quality is better than I imagined and is certainly on parr with my D810. The quality of operation of the LCD being the biggest surprise.

The grip fits comfortably in the palm of my hand its deep recess gives a confident grip, because of its light weight I can easily hold it in the right hand and take a flashgun in the left hand via a TTL cable off-camera and hold it there for an extended duration. When I say lightweight, it's not 'bag of crisps' light, you know your holding it, it's a reassuring lump in your hands and it is very comfortable to hold.

The unlocked WIFI issue that someone mentioned is a non-issue this is easily remedied by entering a PIN in the WIFI setup menu.

Very early indications are that tracking and AF are lightning fast - Camera-to-subject is locking-on extremely quickly, way faster than focusing manually. To clarify the AF is Supper Fast !!!!!

My initial thoughts and observations are I really like it. I am more than impressed with its performance so far. The image quality looks superb and the dynamic range is really impressive. I want to put it through it's paces before I comment any further and will post some images on here in the very near future.

Looking forward to getting one next week. The Af really impressed me in the shop. Obviously i'd need to put it through more rigorous tests, but first impressions are that its at least as good as a D4.

Blank canvas and ross harvey pretty much matched my thoughts on it.

So I have a real dilemma... unless Nikon plan to bring out a new camera in the next few months!! Currently have a D700 with a D300 as backup or when I need reach. While I love everything about the D700 I do want to upgrade... getting even better ISO would help, having more MP would at times be nice and obviously technology has moved on since the D700 came out. Depending on budgets I may keep the D700 as backup so that I have 2 FF cameras.

My two cents would be to have two nikons with the same colour character. Its a head melt trying to match d610 colours with a d700. I'd sell both your cameras and pick up a d750 with a second hand d600/d610 as backup if you coukd stretch to it.

Looking forward to getting one next week. The Af really impressed me in the shop. Obviously i'd need to put it through more rigorous tests, but first impressions are that its at least as good as a D4.

Blank canvas and ross harvey pretty much matched my thoughts on it.

It could even be faster the the Nikon D4s and D810, it has the new Multi-Cam 3500-FX II AF system - this is next gerneration !

If anyone had any doubts about this camera read Ross's review.

I'm adding one - I've a pair of D810's which are incredible, but having one body with that AF and high ISO means I'm losing my remaining Df for a D750.

It does seem hard to make a case for the df. If it had better AF it might be an option. I pretty much hated it though - apart from the sensor.

It does seem hard to make a case for the df. If it had better AF it might be an option. I pretty much hated it though - apart from the sensor.

Got to agree now - with the D750 and D810 there you'd have to really want the retro look.

I've just off-loaded my second one and have added a D750 instead. Mainly for the second slot and that AF.

Back