Nikon D750 & D780

Last edited:
Getting mine on Wednesday. First time I've been excited about a camera body arriving since I bought a D700. Thursday morning will see me having to work hard to offload our D800 and D610.
Have you tired 750? Is it that better than 800????

Just been into see my authorised Nikon dealer who are running a promotion this week.

Buy the Nikon D750 (for £1700) and get 50% off ANY lens purchased at the same time.

D750 and 24-70 2.8 come in at £2260.
There must be more to it than that.Otherwise buy the new 400mm f2.8 cost new £10000 for £5000 and sell it to me for £6000 and make yourself £1000.LOL

Last edited:
There must be more to it than that.Otherwise buy the new 400mm f2.8 cost new £10000 for £5000 and sell it to me for £6000 and make yourself £1000.LOL
One came into the UK last week on our company account for a smidgen over £5,000 and was just sold for £7,500

*turns D750 thread into a car thread* Is the Kuga 4x4? Was going to order a new car this month but now having second thoughts as a 4x4 could be handy. Kinda committed to Audi but not overly fond of the Q3.

*turns D750 thread into a car thread* Is the Kuga 4x4? Was going to order a new car this month but now having second thoughts as a 4x4 could be handy. Kinda committed to Audi but not overly fond of the Q3.

I have recently changed my car, tried Kuga, Q3, Mazda CX5, VW Tiguan and Honda CRV, all nice cars but I settled for the Honda. As for the spec I could afford it had a reversing camera, very handy for me with my arthritis in neck and shoulders. I just looked at 2 wheel drive as I live in the city. If you look at the reviews I believe the Mazda comes out on top, the reason I didn't get one, was, it didn't have a drinks holder in front, it had another audio control point, this meant it had three in the front of car.

Back on track, I have a slight itch for this camera after the initial reviews. Just had a look on Panamoz and for £1200 or so, it seems a lot of camera. Maybe a better option for me, for garden birding now that Fuji have put there long lens on hold for another 12 months. I'm currently using my XT1 with a manual focus 100-300mm Tokina ATX f4 lens.

I have recently changed my car, tried Kuga, Q3, Mazda CX5, VW Tiguan and Honda CRV, all nice cars but I settled for the Honda. As for the spec I could afford it had a reversing camera, very handy for me with my arthritis in neck and shoulders. I just looked at 2 wheel drive as I live in the city. If you look at the reviews I believe the Mazda comes out on top, the reason I didn't get one, was, it didn't have a drinks holder in front, it had another audio control point, this meant it had three in the front of car..

I currently have an A3 hatchback and absolutely love it but am starting to miss having back doors. I didn't like the look of the sportback but they've since released a saloon and I had a wee look at it yesterday - gorgeous car, like a tidier looking A4. Might just go for a quattro A3 Saloon...

Anyway, the D750. The very fact that so many D800s are hitting the market is testament to how nikon got it wrong with that camera release for a lot of photographers. I wonder how little panamoz will be selling the D750 for after a couple of months. Makes it almost nonsensical to pay for a UK version.

Have any of you lucky early adopters tried a DX lens on the D750? As I understand things, it uses a smaller part of the FX sensor, but does this eradicate any vignetting issues?

Further - what about ISO performance, if used with a DX lens. Does the use of less of the sensor degrade the performance?

I never stuck a DX lens on the D700 when I had it, so not quite sure what effects it has.

I suspect it's the same as my D610, but the camera auto senses a DX lens and effectively crops the image to use the same bit of the sensor as DX camera would be. The camera then displays a black box in the viewfinder which shows you the DX field of view, and in the options you can choose for the area outside the DX area to be shown in a dark grey so it's obvious what you are looking at.

I suspect it's the same as my D610, but the camera auto senses a DX lens and effectively crops the image to use the same bit of the sensor as DX camera would be. The camera then displays a black box in the viewfinder which shows you the DX field of view, and in the options you can choose for the area outside the DX area to be shown in a dark grey so it's obvious what you are looking at.

Thanks. So no vignetting? What about the ISO performance? Is it diminished because you're not using the whole sensor?

There is an option to manually switch from FX to DX or Auto setting that will detect which format you are using.

I should add I have never tried a DX on it. Not a lot of point in my opinion as I want to get the most out of the sensor / glass.

Last edited:
Incan assure you it wasn't overlooked. My 35mm produces a bit of chroma when used wide open and i often like it - in this case it adds a kind of ethereal halo, especially around his jaw, that i liked. A matter of taste i guess.

By comparison, our nikon 85 rarely gives us CA but when it does it generally looks horrible and i remove it. Same for the sigma 50.

Either way, its not really relevant to the discussion... We were discussing sensors and shadow recovery.

Sorry...meant overcooked....bloody ipad corrected it. Lovely images just the CA is a littl strong for my taste.

I have tried - am still using 35 1.8 dx on d800. There is option to reduce vignetting. If object in focus is close, there is no vignetting. And some with focus at the distance. Cracking lens btw:)

I've decided that the D750 will be my jump to FX. I already have my 24-70 and 70-200 2.8s so it won't be as painful a jump as it could be. I'm also going to break a trend and actually save up for it rather than just buying it! Hopefully that'll give me the time for any potential production issues to be worked out too!

I've just been to avail the amazing offer on my D750 and 24-70 2.8 only to be told the lens is out of stock.

Anyway I've came away with the body but I'm lensless for the time being....:(

I've just been to avail the amazing offer on my D750 and 24-70 2.8 only to be told the lens is out of stock.

Anyway I've came away with the body but I'm lensless for the time being....:(

Where did you go to get the offer? Is it generally available?

Hahaha. Ahh - misread that as an exile from UAE stuck here!

Sorry Mark, a bit far for you.

Devastated i've got the body and not one lens to attach to it. I might have to nab me a cheap prime until the 24-70 gets here!

Sorry Mark, a bit far for you.

Devastated i've got the body and not one lens to attach to it. I might have to nab me a cheap prime until the 24-70 gets here!

Well, you say that, but I am swinging by on my way to HK via Emirates.... Is it available at the airport, do you know?

The list of choices is huge! IS it only Nikon that's hugely discounted or all brands?

Well, you say that, but I am swinging by on my way to HK via Emirates.... Is it available at the airport, do you know?

I doubt it. It's Grand Stores with the deal on and they don't appear to have a branch in the terminal. If you've got a stop over it might be worth calling the nearest store and confirming they'll still have the deal on and ask them to reserve the kit you want.

I doubt it. It's Grand Stores with the deal on and they don't appear to have a branch in the terminal. If you've got a stop over it might be worth calling the nearest store and confirming they'll still have the deal on and ask them to reserve the kit you want.

Thanks. May add a stopover on the way back.

Been playing with the D750 all day. It's a superb camera - first impressions are that pound for pound, it's the best Nikon DSLR I've used. I got mine from Panamoz but even at £1800 it's insanely good value.

The AF is top notch, even in low light. The WB and Metering nail it more often than the D4/D800/D610. The build is solid - on a par with the D800 imo. The grip feels superb and the screen is a revelation. Gonna test it properly at a wedding this weekend.

Been playing with the D750 all day. It's a superb camera - first impressions are that pound for pound, it's the best Nikon DSLR I've used. I got mine from Panamoz but even at £1800 it's insanely good value.

The AF is top notch, even in low light. The WB and Metering nail it more often than the D4/D800/D610. The build is solid - on a par with the D800 imo. The grip feels superb and the screen is a revelation. Gonna test it properly at a wedding this weekend.
Looks like I'm swaying back from the D810 to the D750.......although will have to wait till Lightroom recognises the raw files!

Back