Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Yes that's what i meant, it's focus priority what i chose. Makes more sense to me.

I don't think the D5100 does that.

I have been watching a video explanation of the D7100 focussing, looks complicated, but I think when you get used to it it must be better

Thanks for that, I have been comparing and looking at D750 as well, I have the nikon 105 macro lens which is compatable with FX, but my 35mm f1.8, Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 and nikon 55-300 aren't. I know they will work in crop mode, but it's the cost of replacing the others which is daunting, and will probably sway me to the D7100

The D7100 isn't a bad camera but for me the buffer and ISO performance were a little disapointing. I have gone Nikon D7000 > Fuji XT1 > Nikon D750 > Nikon D7100 and now the D750 again, my previously bought one had debris in VF so was sent back. For ISO performance & buffer the D750 is a lot better than the D7100 plus it's more comfortable to hold for me with the deeper grip.

As for lenses I dont get the feeling that FX are any more expensive than some of the DX lenses the way Nikon market them. The great DX lens is the 17-55 f2.8 which isn't very cheap in my book @ £1049 from Wex. Not a lot cheaper than the 24-70 f2.8. Then what do you pair it up with if looking at the best Nikon glass, the 70-200 f2.8 which is the only option for fast f2.8 glass.

You can get some of the older f2.8 lenses like the 35-70 Nikon.............., the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 etc, the Nikon primes are usually the same for both modes e.g the 50mm f1.8g, 85mm f1.8g the 105mm you have, one of the better primes for wildlife is the Nikon 300mm f4 which is used on both formats. You then have the Tamron 70-300VC which I have found to be a good lens and is for both formats again. Also, other good primes are the 28mm & 35mm f2 which aern't bad prices. So for me, FX doesn't have to be much more expensive than DX and the lenses can be changed gradually.

Also, while I wait for the Sigma 150-600mm contemporary to hit the shelves I have bought a Sigma 70-300mm Apo for £44 and a Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 for £13. Not the greatest lenses but they are okay while I wait for the Sigma and they are both FX lenses. I will get some primes as I go along.

I see your not to far from me, if your down this way anytime let me know and you can have a go with the D750.

Last edited:
Thankyou for your comments will take on board and digest. Hope to trot into Cardiff this weekend and have a play with both.
I see what you mean about the prices of the lenses you mentioned, makes things a lot more interesting, I assume these lens are fully functional including aperture if you camera has a focus motor.

Last edited:
Really tempted on the deal from DigitalRev & upgrade one of my D7000. My finger keeps hovering over the buy now button :(

Never had a problem with grey to date touch wood so to speak, ahhhhh do I really need it

With my interest being wildlife using the Tamron 150-600 the minor improvements in the D7200 would be nice,bigger buffer,possibly better AF and probably a stop more in ISO/noise,if these things are not needed by you then the D7100 is worth getting,i am still waiting to see if the last two are improved.

AF is snappier and more reliable, especially in 9 point mode. The high iso's are a little cleaner and shadow banding has been fixed. IMHO, along with the buffer, a worthwhile upgrade for wildlife and sports photographers but for anything else the D7100 will do just fine.

The D750 is slightly bigger than the D7100 / D7200 we are only talking about 5-6mm approx in both directions and it's 75 grammes heavier.

Andrew, as you seem to have an interest in wildlife????, the D7100 with a slow buffer can get annoying along with the ISO, which may not be a big improvement over your D5100. Make sure you can live with it before parting with your cash.

If you do go for the D7100 they are excellent value now on HDEW at £495.00 > http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/nikon-d7100-camera-body-1257-p.asp

Are you planning on selling your D5100, if not you could have the best of both worlds, so to speak. The D750 is in a different league IME and is nicer to hold with the deeper grip.

http://j.mp/19QYIjs
http://camerasize.com/compare/#567,611

Last edited:
For people thinking of upgrading from a d7000 and wondering if there will be much difference- id say surely yes. 16 to 24 mp is quite a jump on its own.
Relatively, it's also not an expensive camera. But grey and you are looking at £700 upwards. You can sell your d7000 for around £320 And put that money towards it. No brainer.

Thanks for that Simon, I am a bit suspicious of the slow buffer on the D7100, and am also looking at the d7200 because of it.
I would sell the 5100, so I could concentrate more on the new camera, I have a reasonabl compact (Nikon S9700) for a carry around camera. Also the funds from the 5100 will be handy to top up the account after buying new.!!!

Last edited:
I didn't in the photos I took, although I didn't like going over ISO1250 for the bird photogrpahy it was mainly used for. I also used a 300mm f4 lens with it and a 1.4TC and again no problems with banding.

Can't say I have either, early days with my D7100 but shot up to ISO3200 without noticing anything :)

No banding on mine at high ISO, but a question.
I know the buffer capacity is low using Raw. I get about 6 shots off till it slows down and then get 1 or 2 shots a second. I was showing my Dad yesterday how it is quite restricted on Raw, then switched to Fine and fired off a burst, and I still got about 6 shots straight off till it slowed down, almost the same as if it was in Raw.
I am sure when I got the camera, it took a lot longer to fill the buffer up in a Fine.
Have I got this wrong? Should I be able to fire off a longer burst till the buffer fills up?
Allan

Newbie joined today after recently acquiring a new Nikon D7200.

I was wondering if anyone who has bought an official UK D7200 got a warranty card in the box? This is my fourth Nikon DSLR and all the previous ones had a warranty card printed with the serial number so thought it was odd there wasnt one with the D7200.

I was wondering if anyone who has bought an official UK D7200 got a warranty card in the box? This is my fourth Nikon DSLR and all the previous ones had a warranty card printed with the serial number so thought it was odd there wasnt one with the D7200.

Could be time to ask questions where you bought it

Hi kungfuman

I bought an official D7200 and it did come with a warranty card which is printed on the back on the manual. However it doesn't have the serial number printed on it, just the camera model. I did manage to register it with Nikon for the extra years warranty though so I'm not worried about it being grey in case that's what's bothering you.

Hope this helps.

Not quite as good as the digitalrev price above, but 14% discount at amazon.de at the moment ... you'll need a euro/uk adapter though.

Between 15th -17th April, Unexpected delay from suppliers, I don't mind as the price is set at £669

Same here. I was undecided until I saw that price. I also got the delay but it's been shipped today and I should get it by Wednesday 15th April. I shoot wildlife almost exclusively so this is a worthwhile upgrade for me from the D7100.

Same here. I was undecided until I saw that price. I also got the delay but it's been shipped today and I should get it by Wednesday 15th April. I shoot wildlife almost exclusively so this is a worthwhile upgrade for me from the D7100.

Same here, it's on it's way :)

Will be interested to know your thoughts after using it,i shoot the D7100 on wildlife and am thinking about this change

Well I've not been to happy since owning my D7000 - dare I say focus problems.

So I've spent a lot of time reading into it and doing test shots on my lenses inside, outside, on/off my tripod and came to the conclusion it wasn't my paranoia but I really did have a focussing problem. So I called my seller (HDEW) and sent it off to their camera repairer in Glasgow who indeed confirmed there is a real problem and not just my imagination.

Been away for a week now and tied using my Canon G15 but I get zero satisfaction from using it, or the shots from it, so need to wait patiently for mine to be repaired and returned. :arghh:

I only bought a D7000 cos @minnnt said so :p

Back