Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I honestly can't remember, it was one of the hundreds of web posts I looked at when researching a new speedlight. I came across lots of different theories from the types of batteries being used, to firmware updates.

My conclusion, and I do not know if it is the right one but I took it, is that it is a non issue, you can switch off the warning system and then blow it up like any other, those with battery packs have demonstrated it doesn't happenen there and thus it is pointing towards battery specific recycle challenges.

I haven't hit the limits personally so I'm happy with it.

EDIT: bizarrely, managed to find it in the manual after a second look!

Last edited:
Seems the idea for dealing with red lights should work - exposing at lower ISOs without blowing the red channel and then pushing the exposure in post seems as if it is doing better.

And the flash is next on the list, no ifs, no buts :p

^^^
You can really push the shadows in post if you need to.

land2D.jpg

land2L.jpg

After much deliberation I've downgraded from a D700 to a D7000. Why? I wanted more resolution and dynamic range and noise doesn't bother me as on print it disappears.

Mine should arrive tomorrow. Decided on 20-35 f2.8, 35 f1.8, sigma 50 f1.4 and 80-200 f2.8 as my lens line up...maybe an 85 prime I'm there too.

I'm planning on using this until the new full frame offerings arrive.

After much deliberation I've downgraded from a D700 to a D7000. Why? I wanted more resolution and dynamic range and noise doesn't bother me as on print it disappears.

Mine should arrive tomorrow. Decided on 20-35 f2.8, 35 f1.8, sigma 50 f1.4 and 80-200 f2.8 as my lens line up...maybe an 85 prime I'm there too.

I'm planning on using this until the new full frame offerings arrive.

Will be interested to hear your opinion on the D7000, I know you've had issues with the D700.

I'm keeping an open mind. I'm putting my problems with the 700 down to buying used glass. All new now.

^^^
Curious to know what your problems were tbh, if it was more than one lens, then the odds were that the body was duff.

anyone any experience of the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 mkII hsm on the d7000 please?

Dave

Got my D7000 a couple of weekends ago, and had a brief play on a trip up to the midlands... it actually feels kinda similar to my D70 in handling and weight, but what a difference! It really shows up the limitations of the old kit lens I got with the D70 (the 18-70AF-S)...

...so this weekend I spent a few hundred on a shiny new 16-85 VR... Damn, that thing's sharp! Some pics here... http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=335304

The one thing I LOVE about the D7000 is the ability to fine tune the AF... My D70 always seemed to back-focus a little...

I was initially disappointed by the performance of the camera. So many soft images. I considered taking it back to Jessops, but didn't fancy the (anticipated) hassle of getting my money back after a few hundred clicks.

In some of the images, I got a glimpse of the sharpness for which this camera is vaunted. Results on BIF

(Nik 300mm F4 AF-S) and Marwell (Nik 80-200mm F2.8 ED IF) were not up to standard.

I thought, what a let-down after my brilliant D200, and even better D700. So I tried the AF fine-tune.

For anyone with sharpness troubles on the D7000, don't be swayed by the feedback which presumes you're doing something else wrong. Do the AF fine-tune on your lenses - it's not irreversible. Plenty of good advice on
the net, you don't really need a chart, just some objects which show good detail and allow focus lock-on, at staggered distances (but fairly close proximity), or a good textured surface shot at 45° angle.

My 80-200 was worst at -10 compensation, next the 300mm at -4, and my super-sharp Sigma 70mm macro similar.

NOW I'm seeing the famous D7000 sharpness.

Having been sort-of forced into it with the D7000, I went to the D700 AF fine-tune, though I never felt the need before. Predictably, compensation for the lenses here is hovering around zero.

Though I am now happy to own the D7000, I think that the AF is not up to Nikon usual standards of precision, and this camera was 'rushed out the door'.

All the best.

Forgot to say, you might need to download Nikon's ViewNX2 to see the focus point in your image.

I was initially disappointed by the performance of the camera. So many soft images. I considered taking it back to Jessops, but didn't fancy the (anticipated) hassle of getting my money back after a few hundred clicks.

In some of the images, I got a glimpse of the sharpness for which this camera is vaunted. Results on BIF

(Nik 300mm F4 AF-S) and Marwell (Nik 80-200mm F2.8 ED IF) were not up to standard.

I thought, what a let-down after my brilliant D200, and even better D700. So I tried the AF fine-tune.

For anyone with sharpness troubles on the D7000, don't be swayed by the feedback which presumes you're doing something else wrong. Do the AF fine-tune on your lenses - it's not irreversible. Plenty of good advice on
the net, you don't really need a chart, just some objects which show good detail and allow focus lock-on, at staggered distances (but fairly close proximity), or a good textured surface shot at 45° angle.

My 80-200 was worst at -10 compensation, next the 300mm at -4, and my super-sharp Sigma 70mm macro similar.

NOW I'm seeing the famous D7000 sharpness.

Having been sort-of forced into it with the D7000, I went to the D700 AF fine-tune, though I never felt the need before. Predictably, compensation for the lenses here is hovering around zero.

Though I am now happy to own the D7000, I think that the AF is not up to Nikon usual standards of precision, and this camera was 'rushed out the door'.

All the best.

Sounds like your copy is a little duff, All 4 of my lenses needed '0' micro-adjustment/fine tune.

Sounds like your copy is a little duff, All 4 of my lenses needed '0' micro-adjustment/fine tune.

I wouldn't disagree with 'a little duff'. My conclusion is that there seems to be quite a bit of copy variation, probably owing to increased tolerances.

I'm just happy that my 'duffness' was within the realm of adjustment; and I am very happy with IQ now.

Guess I was lucky my body & Nikon lenses were perfect right out the box.
I did think at first after a couple of quick test shots that 2 of my lenses may have needed a fine tune of +1 & +2 (which is minimal anyway) but later, after more accurate testing showed they were all 'bang on', note that 3 out of 4 lenses were 'D' lenses, so not sure if the body is the main factor in terms on AF, although my 35mm 1.8 afs is just as accurate as all my other lenses.

The exception was that I did get a dodgy Tamron 17-50mm that needed +20 micro-adjust, and even then it was softer on the right side of the lens, but that's solely an issue with the lens, but that went back in the post the same day I received it.

35mm 1.8

Focus-Genie.jpg

FG100.jpg

I managed to bag a D7000 at the Photography show at the NEC earlier this year - for the bargain price of £699! (Body only of course!)

Like the OP, I upgraded from a D40 - the step up is massive and I'm still learning. In a weird way, I do miss the 'pick up and shoot-ness' of the D40, but am sure it'll come with the D7000.

I've been using a D7000 for the last 6 months as a backup to my D3s, and I've quite enjoyed the experience on the whole. Fantastic performing camera for the money, and sign of very good things to come I think!

I wrote a quite lengthy review on my blog for those interested. You can read it here.

:)

i had to fine tune my lenses too, the difference was lovely afterwards though :) i was only a little disappointed when i couldn't fine tune my 70-210 (i don't know if its possible or not with the age of the lens, but i couldn't work it out. besides i tried to do it last and was getting alittle tired of staring at black lines over and over :LOL:)

i'm really loving it at the moment, i just want some nice weather to get out with it and try out some new ND grad filters when they eventually arrive!

I'm sending mine back to Nikon for a calibration as all my lenses have needs - point adjustments. The final straw was the Siggy 50mm f/1.4 I just picked up that needed -20 and is still out.

I'm sending mine back to Nikon for a calibration as all my lenses have needs - point adjustments. The final straw was the Siggy 50mm f/1.4 I just picked up that needed -20 and is still out.
It might be worth sending the lenses too so they can calibrate them all to work perfectly on the body. I've got a 2x TC that back focuses massively so I'm going to drop the TC, camera and lens to them so they can get the whole lot working together.

I've been using a D7000 for the last 6 months as a backup to my D3s, and I've quite enjoyed the experience on the whole. Fantastic performing camera for the money, and sign of very good things to come I think!

I wrote a quite lengthy review on my blog for those interested. You can read it here.

:)

Saw your review from an OCUK thread, I'v picked up a couple of the below cards, so I'l let you know how long the buffer takes to clear when writing with the new UHI-S standard.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140555244801&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2011wt_905

The Results

With 1 card Buffer clears 10 Raw's in approx. 7.5 seconds
With 2 cards (mirroring) Buffer clears 10 Raw's in approx. 15.5 seconds.

Picked up mine a couple of weeks back as London camera Exhance we're offering a £50 off Nikon Plus thing, so I thought it would be wrong not too. picked up a Nikon 50 1.4G with it, though will probably sell that and pick up the Sigma if i find one going at a reasonable price.

Got an SB-700 and AF-S 105mm macro this week :D. Will hopefully have time to play with the new toys soon. Also think that heralds the end of the acquisition spree - can't think of anything more that I'd want for a while (apart from a 45 or 85mm PC-E lens, but that would probably mean buying a new body as well o_0)

stupid question, how do i know if my lens need fine tune? They seem alright to me, nothing bad but nothing good either ......

Just got my D7000 on Saturday, upgraded from my old Nikon D40.

Not really had a chance to use it yet other than a few shots around the house to play.

I have to say it feels like an excellent piece of kit and I can't wait to go out and do some propper shooting with it.

hi guys, I got a Nikon D7000 with 17-55 f2.8 recently and noticed, that if I look trough the viewfinder into bright light, I can see in the center a circle. It seems to me almost perfectly in the center of frame. Is this normal or is it a fault?
I tried the built in camera sensor cleaning, my lens are perfectly clean. pls help

hi guys, I got a Nikon D7000 with 17-55 f2.8 recently and noticed, that if I look trough the viewfinder into bright light, I can see in the center a circle. It seems to me almost perfectly in the center of frame. Is this normal or is it a fault?
I tried the built in camera sensor cleaning, my lens are perfectly clean. pls help

All my Nikons with all my lenses exhibit this - so I've decided that it is indeed quite normal.

ohh...thats a relief guys;) Thanks!!

I uses the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM MKII on my Nikon D7000. What do you want to know?

I've read mixed reviews of the lens and its image quality. Just wondered if the extra mp of the D7000 made things even worse or helped improve it?

I've read mixed reviews of the lens and its image quality. Just wondered if the extra mp of the D7000 made things even worse or helped improve it?

Well I been using this lens on my D5000 previous and now on my D7000. Their is a 4 mega pixel difference. Not too much of a difference to me but when I do crop abit it does which is a bonus.

Image quality wise I think the lens work much nicer with the D7000 than my D5000. I'm sure you read the review about this lens is abit soft at 200mm which is something i can put up with because the lens is cheap and it does the dirty job fine .....

For the cost of the lens and the quality and performance i get, i'm pretty happy and it will last me a good while. I'm not a pro photography so budget is always tight, just something that works well and value for money will do me. Thinking about adding the sigma 24-70 f2.8 or tamron 17-50 f2.8 to my kit for even more low light performance.

Also with the D7000 good iso performance and the sigma is f2.8 it works very well and produce good image results.

Last edited:
Well I been using this lens on my D5000 previous and now on my D7000. Their is a 4 mega pixel difference. Not too much of a difference to me but when I do crop abit it does which is a bonus.

Image quality wise I think the lens work much nicer with the D7000 than my D5000. I'm sure you read the review about this lens is abit soft at 200mm which I is something i can put up with because the lens is cheap and it does the dirty job fine .....

For the cost of the lens and the quality and performance i get, i'm pretty happen and it will last me a good while. I'm not a pro photography so budget is always tight, just something that works well and value for money will do me. Thinking about adding the sigma 17-70 f2.8 or tamron 17-50 f2.8 to my kit for even more low light performance.

Also with the D7000 good iso performance and the sigma is f2.8 it works very well and produce good image results.

great stuff
thanks

I too have the 70-200 hsm II siggy for my d7000, and must admit I went from d5000 to the d7000 and have used the lens on both bodies. Its deffo better on d7000, although increasingly im using it less and less because of its weight.

Well just picked up a D7000, not even had it out the box yet. Moving up from my trusty D80 so looking forward to giving it a go this weekend

im sure you will enjoy it too:D

Back