Nikon D7xxx owners thread

The 24.2 megapixel DX sensor enables high speed shooting at 6fps shooting at full resolution, with a quicker 7fps continuous shooting mode at 1.3x crop giving 15.4 megapixel images.

The 24.2 megapixel DX sensor enables high speed shooting at 6fps shooting at full resolution, with a quicker 7fps continuous shooting mode at 1.3x crop giving 15.4 megapixel images.

Can't wait to test this with my tamron 150-600

Shaun would it be fair to say you enjoy Rugby?:) nice photos by the way

Just a bit, I have always done sport in one thing or another, but currently out of action with a bad shoulder that won't heal ( 12 months now), so decided to get back in photography
less punishment on the body :)

:agree: I couldn't never get that with the D7100.

Have you done some PP noise reduction? As said, the D7100 wouldn't look anything like that OOC, noise wise.

Just a crop, taken out my daughter bedroom window looking into our neighbour garden

Last edited:
Thing is, f13 @ iso 4500 giving 1/1250 isn't really going to test the high iso. Obviously you had favourable light. Lets see a shot at 1/100 @ f4 using high iso... No doubt it will be better than the d7100, but i could have shot that on any modern era camera and produced a similar shot.

I liked the starling picture also for the focal length of 604mm. At the end of the lenses extremes it hasn't come out too bad, better than I would have expected over the D7100/D7000.

I'm with David and wasn't overly impressed with the D7100 over the D7000, some even prefer the output with the D7000 with the Sony sensor over the Toshiba one in the D7100. D7200 looks to be an improvement, even if it's just the buffer. I believe they have also gone back to the Sony sensor for the D7200, so will be interesting how it performs for the users on here when put through it's paces.

Thanks all. I have the camera! The key difference that I've noticed so far it's what is mentioned above. I can set to raw in all modes including the preset scene modes which is great for me. I fully intend on going manual but for now that's a massive positive as it allows me to learn the settings without settling for a compressed jpeg file. Had a little play with it so far and I'm over the moon, it's great.
How have you found the change from 400d to d7100? That's the upgrade I have in mind, primarily for family photography. Trying to justify the purchase

Is LR5 going to support the 7200 or is it going to cost me another upgrade?
Just updated my LR5 to 5.7.1 but haven't had time to see what's different yet.
Allan

Is LR5 going to support the 7200 or is it going to cost me another upgrade?
Just updated my LR5 to 5.7.1 but haven't had time to see what's different yet.
Allan

Pretty sure you will need to buy lr6 or pay subscription for creative cloud.

Well I've been and gone and done it. Got a D7200 ordered from Panamoz this evening, hoping I'm not going to be disappointed coming from a D300

Hi all. I'm currently on holiday in Japan and it looks like I can get about 13% off in Yodobashi camera by paying on a Visa card and flashing my passport. It seems I can get the D7200 body + Nikon grip for just a shade over £700, or a D7100 body with grip for about £570z

I'm currently rocking a D3200 with 18-55 kit, 55-300mm and 35mm f1.8. At this time, would you say it was worth lumping the extra for the D7200 or would the D7100 be fine for every day use? I don't particularly do any sports photography (yet); I mainly just shoot whilst I'm out and about, some family (indoors) shots and my main hobby is aviation photography. The ISO capability of the 7200 looks attractive, as does the improved autofocus (in general and in low light) but I don't really do any burst photography so not sure if the other above points are worth the extra money. Still, if I sell on the D3200 body later I'm getting a D7100+grip for about £350 or a D7200+grip for about £550. Seems like a nice price in upgrades from a D3200.

I don't plan on going full frame at any point so after purchasing the body I can focus on some new lenses (a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 for example).

Well I've been and gone and done it. Got a D7200 ordered from Panamoz this evening, hoping I'm not going to be disappointed coming from a D300

I think you will be delighted

I used to shoot with a D300s and have been through several full-frame Nikons before settling back to APS-C with a D7200. While not having quite the "hewn-from-granite" feel of the D300, the D7200 leaves my old D300s wallowing in the mire in just about every other way. You'll be love it.

Btw, I switched back from FF because the D7200 + Sigma 18-35mm Art combo is an incredible bargain. As a bonus, my 58/1.4 is a lovely portrait lens on the D7200.

the interesting comparison would be a cropped D750 image ay DX size versus a D7200 image and then both images cropped further - taken at ISO400, ISO1000 and ISO2500

Last edited:
Finally got some photos up on my gallery from the D7200. My verdict so far, incidentally, is if you already have the D7100 and money is tight I'd probably not bother to upgrade it, IMO there's very little to separate the sensors. I can find little difference in the AF apart from the micro-adjustment settings being different to the D7100 with some of my lenses. The bigger buffer is useful for shooting birds in flight but even there I'd managed to work around the limitation with the D7100 by firing in short sharp bursts to give the buffer time to clear. The menus are a bit better thought out. For instance the iso button works on its own when using the rear screen instead of having to press two buttons.
In the following gallery, the first 37 shots are with the D7200, the rest are from the D7100. Most are taken with Nikon 300mm F2.8 with 1.7x or 2x Nikon TCs, or the Nikon 80-400mm mk II.
http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/eccles52/slideshow/Wildlife 2015

Last edited:
Hi All - just purchased a D7100 as an update to my D7000 which I'll still use as a 2nd body.

I'm not expecting night and day improvements but i'm hoping the AF system is slightly improved and happier with more MP's for crops.

One area i was wondering about is the VIDEO mode on the D7100 - does anyone know if it's improved over the D7000's which i didn't find to be brilliant as indoors it was always focus hunting in AF.

Finally is this the D7100 'owners' thread or does a separate thread exist for questions about the camera ?

tia
Mike.

Just read the dpreview review which is incredibly detailed and for me more impartial than the nikon loving Ken Rockwell. It reviewed very well and bar the buffer issue which unlikely to affect me seems a very capable camera. Hope it performs as well as it reviews ☺

Took a few photos today and when I downloaded them to LR , they all seemed fine as thumbnails, but, when I viewed this one full sized, the lower third was completely black. It was fine viewing on the camera LCD screen too, but just putting the card back in the camera, I zoomed in 100% and the bottom third was just green horizontal lines..
So, Is this my camera or SD card? I use Lexar Pro 32gb class 10 600x speed cards.
I have had something similar to this a couple of weeks ago but thought nothing of it and deleted it.

Not a very exciting picture though, I'm afraid.

AllanView attachment 36399

I have seen a few banding issues like this and they have been usually card problems, have you another to try? Also, try formatting the card in camera and see if that helps. If not, it seems the body will need a trip to Nikon.

Took a few photos today and when I downloaded them to LR , they all seemed fine as thumbnails, but, when I viewed this one full sized, the lower third was completely black. It was fine viewing on the camera LCD screen too, but just putting the card back in the camera, I zoomed in 100% and the bottom third was just green horizontal lines..
So, Is this my camera or SD card? I use Lexar Pro 32gb class 10 600x speed cards.
I have had something similar to this a couple of weeks ago but thought nothing of it and deleted it.

Not a very exciting picture though, I'm afraid.

AllanView attachment 36399

Back