Nikon D800......

Pookeyhead;

You said - "Handheld at 1/40th and f11 haven't done that any favours when you take a close look".

So what have I missed ?

(peter)

You've not missed anything per se... it's just a slow speed to hand hold with, and your image is quite soft when you look at the full size version (compared to what you should be getting with a D800 and a decent prime lens). Also, f11 can make things a little soft... but there's nothing you can do about that.. if you need f11 for depth of field, then you need f11. Hand holding at 1/40th will probably be resulting in some camera shake, no matter how small. If you're going out with the intend of taking landscapes with a D800 and Zeiss lenses, you really should be using a tripod.

Last edited:
Good lenses for the D800 are the Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG, and the Nikon 85mm f1.8 G, because in addition to good overall optical quality, they are very sharp and show the detail the D800 is capable of. The Nikon 50mm f1.8 G is also a very sharp lens over a wide range of settings.

Just recently purchased from Panamoz, waiting in bated breath for it to arrive!!!!

How long has it been since ordering? I've found they aren't the fastest outfit in terms of getting gear to you. Not used them for a while though.

Good lenses for the D800 are the Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG, and the Nikon 85mm f1.8 G, because in addition to good overall optical quality, they are very sharp and show the detail the D800 is capable of. The Nikon 50mm f1.8 G is also a very sharp lens over a wide range of settings.

I agree with AchimT, the Sigma 35mm f1.4 is my most used lens on the D800, its simply stunning - I don't currently have an 85mm f1.8G but I was blown away by the quality of the older 85mm f1.8D lens and I know the G is meant to be even better!

I wasn't a fan of the Nikon 50mm f1.8G and had it listed for sale but I used it through the week and was really impressed with it, its great considering its price!

How long has it been since ordering? I've found they aren't the fastest outfit in terms of getting gear to you. Not used them for a while though.
Hey, how you doing?

I ordered it on Monday(3rd) but they weren't shipping/processing anything until the Tuesday(4th) because of the new year, tut lol but just checked UPS status and they say it will arrive on FRIDAY!!!!! Do I believe it or keep telling myself it will be next week so I'm not disappointed.

No. Just commenting on the apparent good value of Panamoz. Not sure about the whole customs and duty or warranty situation with them though which puts me off a bit. If they get a Zeiss 135mm in at a decent price though I'll have a good look.

Hi David (Pookeyhead);

So would you recommend shooting the Zeiss 21mm lens at around f/8 or say f/9 for optimum lens quality even on a tripod..??

Thanks;
Pete

Whether it;s on a tripod is irrelevant. Most lenses are at their best 2 possibly 3 stops from wide open, so probably f5.6.. you'd need to look at a lens test for that lens. That doesn't mean you shoudl shoot everything at that aperture.... depth of field requirements sometimes dictate that you shoot wider open, or further stopped down.

The tripod is to ensure that there is absolutely no movement in teh shot when shooting at lower speeds. Mirror lock up is another good idea if you're on a tripod too.

Thanks David. Yes I mainly DO use a tripod/low iso of 100/mirror up/cable release etc, but that boat image I shot hand-held was, to be honest, a bit of a rushed shot as the weather was awful, raining/dull/grey/overcast. Lazy on my part to be honest!

I'll experiment shooting @ f/5.6 and f/8 with the fixed Zeiss 21mm prime.

Thanks;
Pete

...just checked UPS status and they say it will arrive on FRIDAY!!!!! Do I believe it or keep telling myself it will be next week so I'm not disappointed.
If UPS says Friday, Friday it is! Probably!
meanhappy.gif

Otherwise you can look forward to enjoy a nice, long weekend thinking about Monday!

Wishing you a good night sleep! :wave:

If UPS says Friday, Friday it is! Probably!
meanhappy.gif

Otherwise you can look forward to enjoy a nice, long weekend thinking about Monday!

Wishing you a good night sleep! :wave:
Not sure if that's comforting or not lol :) I'll let you know!

No. Just commenting on the apparent good value of Panamoz. Not sure about the whole customs and duty or warranty situation with them though which puts me off a bit. If they get a Zeiss 135mm in at a decent price though I'll have a good look.

Have to agree on the customs/duty and warranty front, but the prices are very tempting.

Less photos OF it... more WITH it :)

Patience. It's arrived at a bad time with weather and other commitments, but from what limited use I've had so far apart from a bit of vignetting wide open it seems to live up the hype. You should try to get a hold of one.

It's ARRIVED!!!! Very Exicted
Bummer!

Had kinda looked forward to follow you moaning and sobbing throughout the weekend!
biggrin3.gif

But congrats!
waytogo2.gif

Don't forget to get the two Nikon guides, 'D800 Picture Control Guide' and 'D800 Technical Guide'! Good stuff!

Have a nice, peaceful weekend! :wave:

Patience. It's arrived at a bad time with weather and other commitments, but from what limited use I've had so far apart from a bit of vignetting wide open it seems to live up the hype. You should try to get a hold of one.

Waiting for the 85.

Me too, and the wide after that hopefully. I dug out some examples of this 55, where do I host them that will let me let you click them to see them full size as 1024 on this forum doesn't tell you much?

Flickr will..... or open a dropbox account, and let us download a RAW?

Considering that's at f1.4... that's astounding. I'd love to see this at f5.6.

I'd really like to see how it handles coma. Any chance of a night shot with distant, point source lights at the edge of the frame at 1.4? You could take some killer wide field astro shots with that if coma is tight.

Last edited:
Oops, apologies David, wrong link posted. 55mm Otus here; http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Zeiss_Otus_1-4_55/sample_images.shtml

Didn't realise camera labs reviewed it, thanks for the link. Their conclusions seem to be in line with what I'm seeing using it. I added a couple more shots to the flickr of the lens at f/8 and f/2 and a shot from the Zeiss 100mm and a few from the Nikon 200mm f/2 VR. I wasn't expecting the Otus until next month so I'm still without a decent tripod and head to go and test it properly with filters etc. I'll try and get some distant light source coma shots to post up.

Thanks for the link. He seems to be adding a lot of sharpening to his images though. +70 with .5 radius. I'd like to see a RAW if possible before dropping £3k on a standard lens. +70 is a lot of sharpening. I normally nothing beyond the +25 applied by default.

LOL.. recommended by whom? Most people massively over sharpen.

You don't need any additional sharpening with the D800 unless, ironically, you're reducing size for web. A straight 300dpi A2 print needs no sharpening, and actually looks worse if you do.

Doesn't the D800 need sharpened as it brings it closer to the D800E? That's what I've read so I apply some sharpening. I've watched a few Jeff Schewe videos and read some of his stuff and he's good at the post processing techniques.

Back