Nikon D800......

I just got one of those recently and am looking forward to giving it a try. It seems excellent from the tests that I did indoors A bit of a pity about the filter issue but if I like it enough I might at some point look into those Lucroit holders.

I'd seen the WonderPana 168mm filters, although wouldn't fancy keeping them safe out and about. I had considered a 14-24 once upon a time, but the filter system for that looked cumbersome and hard to source. The Samyang 14 is a good lens for little money. Of course it has it's issues with distortion or colours etc but I found black and white conversions quite pleasing.

Waiting for mine to turn up ordered it on tuesday so thought it would be here today but maybe its gonna be tomorrow :(

You mentioned Samyang. How are those on d800? Easy to focus? Sharp wide open? Am thinking about 24 mm

I find the Samyang 14 a bit weird to focus, magnified live view and stopping it down etc help me a lot. It wouldn't put me off Samyang though. I've seen the 24 used for astrophotography quite a bit, at f/1.4 it's always going to benefit from stopping down like any lens, but it doesn't disgrace itself and is a very competitively priced lens for the performance vs the Nikon 24mm f/1.4G. What are you going to use it for mainly?

Last edited:

Glen Quaich, Perthshire
by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr

As I approached the top of Glen Quaich the road was worsening with black ice and small amounts of snow drifts. I tried to reach the top of the summit but kept sliding backwards out of control in my car each time, after the third attempt I quickly realised this was getting very dangerous as each valid attempt I was losing control and sliding backwards nearing the edge. I started shaking with fear as I unclipped my seat belt in case I had to exit fast from my car.
A local farmer by chance was driving his off road 4x4 farm vehicle nearby and helped me turn and go back. I gladly took his advice.

How are you processing these? Those trees are just woolly, soft blobs when you zoom in close.

X4qJw9J.jpg

Are you using a lot of noise reduction? I thought at first that they were just moving in the wind during a long exposure, but you're at 1/100th here, so that's not it. It looks like the kind of destruction of detail caused by excessive noise reduction. At ISO100 you shouldn't need any noise reduction at all.

I do love my D800, I never share photos in here though, so here we go!

First two are at "higher ISO's" (720 & 900) I do love being able to leave the D800 on Auto ISO to 3200 without have any real concerns, love the AF in poor light as well, my D600 was horrible in these kind of conditions.

It's done... I'm no longer a Canon owner (apart from one flash)!

I've succumbed to the Dark Side and bought a D800! :D

can i ask what made you change? were you not using a 5dmk3 before.

Honestly! I just fancied a change... I'd been feeling like I'd lost my mojo a bit and whilst a change of system could be considered to be a bit drastic, it's what I wanted to do. :)

Only time will tell if I've made the right decision.

haha cool,
I had actually considered seeing if you wanted to do a system swap, but hadn't convinced myself it was the right idea before you sold your kit :p. ive contemplated doing it a few times but never taken the jump due to the loss i would likely make

Whats a focus magnification tool ? - does that mean you can zoom in the live view screen?

Extract from the WEX site - review on D800:-

"Focus magnification is a useful and often necessary tool, as is a means of remotely firing the camera to reduce camera shake – even when mounted to a tripod. Many other camera systems allow mirror-lock (mirror slap can cause minor camera shake) and self-timer simultaneously, but not so here. Instead, unless one is using a remote trigger, shooting in live view (where the mirror is locked) and self-timer is the best option for sharp shots"

Does anybody have any real issues with vibration ?

Never liked Live View (at all, nothing to do with D800)... but for absolute vibration free shots, I combine self-timer with shutter delay, 3 + 2 seconds...

Since the shift to D800, I've completely stopped using remote controls... works a treat!
biggrin3.gif

And great to be free of cables, setting up etc.!

Whats a focus magnification tool ? - does that mean you can zoom in the live view screen?

Extract from the WEX site - review on D800:-

"Focus magnification is a useful and often necessary tool, as is a means of remotely firing the camera to reduce camera shake – even when mounted to a tripod. Many other camera systems allow mirror-lock (mirror slap can cause minor camera shake) and self-timer simultaneously, but not so here. Instead, unless one is using a remote trigger, shooting in live view (where the mirror is locked) and self-timer is the best option for sharp shots"

Does anybody have any real issues with vibration ?

Yes you can zoom in, handy for critical focus. I prefer the Canon live view or for any sort of video work, but the Nikon does what I need so far. I get in and get out as it drains battery. Really in the future an EVF or some sort of EVF/OVF hybrid would be excellent for manual focus. The vibration is never really an issue. What are you thinking about shooting and with what lenses?

Mainly landscapes and cityscapes but also want to freeze people walking. I guess with a medium / high ISO shutter speed this won't be a problem 14-24mm F2.8G

Is that with or without a filter? What sort of f stop were you here f/8?

This was shot without a filter as it was snowing etc, the filter would have been dripping with water due to snow fall. Shot this @ f/11 for a change. Tripod with mirror up and cable release etc....
I used Lightroom 5 to blend in the sky subtlety.

Thanks;
Pete

Nikon filed a patent last year for the hybrid OVF/EVF, it looks like the way the market is heading. Being able to magnify whilst looking through the viewfinder with a manual lens would be excellent and one of the reasons I probably will pick up a Sony A7R sooner or later.

D800E has left HK... now winging it's way over central Asia.. (tracking the plane on Flightradar :).... nothing else to do while I wait for dinner). Will be here Friday. Kind of an anti-climax.. already got 2 of the buggers.. LOL One is sold to a colleague... the other is still here - waiting for non-payment ticket to close because some arse biscuit thought it was OK to place a winning bid then start asking questions to ascertain whether they wanted it or not. Retard.

Oh well.

D800E has left HK... now winging it's way over central Asia.. (tracking the plane on Flightradar :).... nothing else to do while I wait for dinner). Will be here Friday. Kind of an anti-climax.. already got 2 of the buggers.. LOL One is sold to a colleague... the other is still here - waiting for non-payment ticket to close because some arse biscuit thought it was OK to place a winning bid then start asking questions to ascertain whether they wanted it or not. Retard.

Oh well.

I saw that youd sold it. I was going to bid But at the mo can't justify it. I need to play with one first...(That wasn't a hint by the way)

Yeah... well the idiot has until tomorrow night to pay, then it's up for grabs again :)

Blimey... the D800E is here. It only left HK Tuesday night!

Only one D800 left now.. and after 10pm tonight, it's up for grabs. The one on the left pictured here.

0BMxCN7.jpg

Another +1 for pananamoz - ordered my D800 on Monday morning and it arrived from Honk Kong Thursday afternoon.i live in the Highlands and i've waited longer on a Christmas card ariving from Edinburgh!!

Paired it up with a 24-70mm F2.8 as i'm upgrading from a DX and none of my lenses being FX. next on my list is an UWA for landscapes. I was using a Signma 10-20mm and 90% of my shots were at 10mm. Any recommednations for a nice lens with comparable viewing angle on FX for the D800?

That is quick from Panamoz, is there some customs skulduggery there? For a wide angle lens for the D800 the Nikon 14-24 or the Nikon 16-35 are worth your attention. Depends how much you want to pay.

Another +1 for pananamoz - ordered my D800 on Monday morning and it arrived from Honk Kong Thursday afternoon.i live in the Highlands and i've waited longer on a Christmas card ariving from Edinburgh!!

Paired it up with a 24-70mm F2.8 as i'm upgrading from a DX and none of my lenses being FX. next on my list is an UWA for landscapes. I was using a Signma 10-20mm and 90% of my shots were at 10mm. Any recommednations for a nice lens with comparable viewing angle on FX for the D800?

My D800 arrived from Panamoz in three days! It was ordered and paid for on Thursday. It left Hong Kong on the Friday and was in my hands on Monday afternoon! :)

I went for the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II rather than the 24-70mm... I was going to get the 16-35 VR for a landscape lens but decided that the VR was a waste of time so I went for the 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G instead. I didn't mind losing a couple of mm for the sake of a few hundred quid. I managed to pick mine up from Amazon Warehouse (damaged box) for £440.

This was taken with the 18-35 a couple of days ago...

This was shot without a filter as it was snowing etc, the filter would have been dripping with water due to snow fall. Shot this @ f/11 for a change. Tripod with mirror up and cable release etc....
I used Lightroom 5 to blend in the sky subtlety.

Thanks;
Pete

Noticed your D800 up in the classifieds and a few of your lenses, that you selling up or are you downgrading?

Back