Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

How long till it’s discontinued do we reckon, I’m hedging my bets on a bigger discount (grey) until I pull the trigger. I don't need one but I’ve been given a D3 and I just much prefer the user experience over my teeny tiny x-t30

I think a while longer, but really, why delay.

I think a while longer, but really, why delay.
Haha I don’t have the change, and a d3 and d800 to do a lot of the work

I picked up my new D850 today and something has puzzled me from the box contents. What are these for? The first looks like some sort of cable holder but a very thick cable indeed, the second thing I have have no idea about. It is a formed plastic thingy that has a knurled screw thread through it.

thingy1.jpgthingy2.jpg

Cable strain relief for tethering?

I don't think I got one - I'll have to dig the box out . . .

Cable strain relief for tethering?

I don't think I got one - I'll have to dig the box out . . .
I thought that but I can't see a thread for it to screw in to.

I've just dug out my box and found them and Ken Rockwell says that's what they're for. :)

Now, like you; I have to figure out how they fit. I currently use a clip that I made myself. :facepalm:

Found it. The screw thingy fits into a hole under the USB rubber flap and holds the cables in place.

Reactions: Sky
It fits in the two holes next to the HDMI and USB sockets. :D

Probably never use it though, but it's a nice touch. I presume the other thing attaches to that.

I tether all the time - I'll see how this compares to my home made gadget.

I only took the camera out of the box. I left the charger and everything else in there - I didn't know I had this. :rolleyes:

My cable won't fit through them, so they're now back in the box . . . :tumbleweed:

Mine didn't either - I assumed it was an oversight. Tightwads! :jimlad:

My cable won't fit through them, so they're now back in the box . . . :tumbleweed:

Thingy3.jpg

Works fine with the USB cable, I'll try my HDMI cable tomorrow but it looks like it'll work. I think it's a good idea, and as I do use my TV as a monitor with the cable sticking out of the side, so contrary to what I said earlier, I think this might well get used.
None of my D850's came with a hotshoe cover, which I thought was really tight of Nikon.

Can buy them for between six and eight quid, I think I might just to tidy things up. I don't remember getting one with my D810 either although my Fuji X100V had one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky
Last edited:
Last edited:
Don't you just hate people who have red squirrels visiting their gardens.......we only see the American greys now (unless you live in one of the very few remaining areas of the UK where there are still reds...)

Hi, I am in Germany, and our squirrels are red, brown or dark brown in Southern Germany. Up to now, I have never seen any grey ones here.

Hi, I am in Germany, and our squirrels are red, brown or dark brown in Southern Germany. Up to now, I have never seen any grey ones here.

Seems there are red squirrels in America, red squirrels in Germany but grey squirrels in the UK, I wonder why greys seem to thrive here [in the UK] but, seemingly, only here, at the expense of reds. Considering their ability to breed like [tree] rats, I'm surprised they haven't populated everywhere.

Seems there are red squirrels in America, red squirrels in Germany but grey squirrels in the UK, I wonder why greys seem to thrive here [in the UK] but, seemingly, only here, at the expense of reds. Considering their ability to breed like [tree] rats, I'm surprised they haven't populated everywhere.
Hi, I just read on the web, there are grey squirrels in Italy. So, in the long run, they might move up north ...

My Knowledge of squirrels is rather out of date, but. with that in mind.

Red squirrels aren't native to America, And the decline of Reds in the UK is partly down to Parapoxvirus which the Greys (introduced to the UK in the 19thc) carry but are largely unaffected by, It kills Reds.

Part of the reason why Reds are hanging on in some places is probably food competition. Greys outcompete reds in deciduous woodland, but reds outcompete Greys in conifer woodland e.g Greys can apparently eat unripe and ripe acorns, but reds can only eat ripe acorns, so by the time acorns become available for Reds, the Greys have already eaten large quantities.

In the less productive fir woodland, the smaller reds have a small advantage, and as far as I am aware, it tends to be areas dominated by native pine (e.g. Scots Pine) forest that are holding onto the Reds.

Greys still eat conifer seeds, but prefer the larger seeds associated with broadleaf trees ie more energy for the same (or less) handling time .

Approximate daily energy needs of a red squirrel is about 60% of the energy requirements of a grey squirrel.

Greys are also actively culled in some areas where they are threatening native Red populations.

I also get really good detail from my D850/70-200VR2, and the same from my K-1 plus DFA*70-200.

I would say that of all the Nikons I've had since getting the D3 in 2010, the D850 in my opinion is the first full-frame that has got true mojo, never got it with the D810.

I also get really good detail from my D850/70-200VR2, and the same from my K-1 plus DFA*70-200.
What lens would you say is better. I wish Pentax would bring out a 45mp or 60mp K1 Mk3
I would say that of all the Nikons I've had since getting the D3 in 2010, the D850 in my opinion is the first full-frame that has got true mojo, never got it with the D810.
I loved my D810, was a big jump on the from D800, the D850 is a very polished camera. They just keep getting better and better.

D-FA* over the VR2, but very little in it. The FL and Z would in most probability tip the advantage back in Nikon's camp.

A 45/60MP K1.3 is a must now that the 645Z has been discontinued. Be good to see what's next for Pentax MF.

D-FA* over the VR2, but very little in it. The FL and Z would in most probability tip the advantage back in Nikon's camp.
I really like the FL, it's pretty viceless.
A 45/60MP K1.3 is a must now that the 645Z has been discontinued.
Agree.
Be good to see what's next for Pentax MF.
Sadly, I doubt anything. Shame really as the 645z I had was a delight. Best camera I ever had in many ways. They need to update the lens line up to more modern designs to take on Fuji though. Their 28-45 was wonderful, but they needed to develop other high end longer zooms, and perhaps shorter to take Fuji on.

Same with their 35mm format, a new body would inject some life into the camera line up.

I loved my D810, was a big jump on the from D800, the D850 is a very polished camera. They just keep getting better and better.
But probably for no longer now mirrorless is taking over. I've just bought a D850 and added a Sigma 14-24mm and 60-600mm, all new, as I think it is the last hurrah for DLSRs and the end of an another era in photography.

Back