Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

I also get really good detail from my D850/70-200VR2, and the same from my K-1 plus DFA*70-200.

I would say that of all the Nikons I've had since getting the D3 in 2010, the D850 in my opinion is the first full-frame that has got true mojo, never got it with the D810.

Ahem! Where's that baseball bat emoji..... :D

Last edited:
Good lens, good tripod, technique etc (lock the mirror up makes all the difference).

Still having Sigma ART 135 1.8 GAS though.

Yeah, I really should start using mirror up and perhaps even get a remote shutter thingy. My tripod is a Velbon CX 586 which I'm sure wasn't particularly cheap when I bought it, but I think it's more a video tripod. It's pretty nice to use though.

I've notice quite a few of your shots are in the 135mm region, does the Sigma 135mm have enough over your 70-200 FL to make it worthwhile?

Yeah, I really should start using mirror up and perhaps even get a remote shutter thingy. My tripod is a Velbon CX 586 which I'm sure wasn't particularly cheap when I bought it, but I think it's more a video tripod. It's pretty nice to use though.

I use a manfrotto 057 with 405 geared head. You'll get away with an 055 with a 410 head.

If you switch to live view prior to exposure it locks the mirror up. I use either a 5 second self timer and press the shutter, or a cable release. If you're low on battery a cable release with mirror up or quiet shutter will get you there.

It makes quite a difference. As does knowing where to focus, get that wrong, and the rest doesn't matter. I will sometimes manually focus in live view, zoomed in 100%

I've notice quite a few of your shots are in the 135mm region, does the Sigma 135mm have enough over your 70-200 FL to make it worthwhile?

This is the very question I ask myself. I truthfully cannot answer. A lot are at 135, a few I do go longer, and quite a lot are at 80-120mm.

I'd probably want an 85 and 105. I just don't have the money

But probably for no longer now mirrorless is taking over. I've just bought a D850 and added a Sigma 14-24mm and 60-600mm, all new, as I think it is the last hurrah for DLSRs and the end of an another era in photography.
I know, but I just aren't feeling the Z cameras other than the Z9 and maybe Z8. All these lenses will adapt fine to a Z body and you'll avoid the focus by wire and plastic build.

I know, but I just aren't feeling the Z cameras other than the Z9 and maybe Z8. All these lenses will adapt fine to a Z body and you'll avoid the focus by wire and plastic build.

My limit is the D850. I can't go mirrorless for the same reason that I couldn't be doing with an expensive modern car -- there are just too many bits and pieces on them, too many options, too many things to get in the way of actually taking photographs (not that I've taken many photographs with a car :p) . TBH, the D850 heads a little that way but not something I can't cope with. The Fuji X100V (before I sold it) was a source of much prevarication -- should I use that function, or this facility; in the end I switched almost everything to manual, even the aperture ring (yes, it has an aperture ring). Even with the D850 I have changed my methods to use manual aperture and shutter speed, relying mostly on the auto-iso to deal with the exposure -- it's working well so far.

I use a manfrotto 057 with 405 geared head. You'll get away with an 055 with a 410 head.

If you switch to live view prior to exposure it locks the mirror up. I use either a 5 second self timer and press the shutter, or a cable release. If you're low on battery a cable release with mirror up or quiet shutter will get you there.

It makes quite a difference. As does knowing where to focus, get that wrong, and the rest doesn't matter. I will sometimes manually focus in live view, zoomed in 100%

This is the very question I ask myself. I truthfully cannot answer. A lot are at 135, a few I do go longer, and quite a lot are at 80-120mm.

I'd probably want an 85 and 105. I just don't have the money

Mine has a Velbon PH-358 Fluid Panhead on it. I can't really fault it, but then I've never used anything else to compare it to. I think a cable release will be handy, so will look into this.

You've got plenty of cropping scope with the D850, could you get away with the 105mm?

Mine has a Velbon PH-358 Fluid Panhead on it. I can't really fault it, but then I've never used anything else to compare it to. I think a cable release will be handy, so will look into this.
Depends what you shoot, I find a geared head just mega for controlling composition. If you shoot pano's, (I don't) you might want what you've got
You've got plenty of cropping scope with the D850, could you get away with the 105mm?
I crop to change aspect ratio keeping the short side PX the same. Ie 8256 x 5504 is the native resolution, I try to avoid taking much off the 5504 side to keep as much detail as I can. Going to 7x5 or 4x3 or 5x4 hides a lot of poor quality lens sins, despite me not having poor lenses.

I really have the GAS bad. I've bought a new gaff, needs a few things doing so will hold off on this a bit longer. Its not like the FL ED is a bad lens.

I have tried experimenting with photo memory banks as I want to remember certain settings the most important of these is the ability to turn back-button focussing on and off. Is it possible save this function in a memory bank so all I have to do is select, say, memory bank B and back-button focussing is turned off and selecting memory bank A turns it back on again?

I have tried experimenting with photo memory banks as I want to remember certain settings the most important of these is the ability to turn back-button focussing on and off. Is it possible save this function in a memory bank so all I have to do is select, say, memory bank B and back-button focussing is turned off and selecting memory bank A turns it back on again?
I think you should be able to do that in the custom settings bank (as opposed to the shooting menu bank)

I think you should be able to do that in the custom settings bank (as opposed to the shooting menu bank)
Yes, I can, but I wanted to change other settings at the same time, so to do it all at once, it would be nice if I only had to access one menu item.

Last edited:
Yes, I can, but I wanted to change other settings at the same time, so to do it all at once, it would be nice if I only had to access one menu item.
I obviously misunderstood what you wanted to do. What are you trying to save along with switching BBF off and on.

I don't think you can save anything beyond items from inside. the shooting menu and the custom settings menu, and the banks are independent of each other.

The sort of exception to this is switching off and on the extended photo menu bank which will also save exposure and flash modes shutter speed and aperture with a shooting menu bank

I wanted to save metering mode, whether or not I use auto-iso, plus any other things that I can think of that haven't come to mind yet. Basically, I want to be able to change everything I might use for general photography into that which I might want to use for bird-in-flight photography. I have trawled the internet and a lot of what I want to do can't be done as far as I can see, although it's not always very clear, so I've given up on the idea.

My Knowledge of squirrels is rather out of date, but. with that in mind.

Red squirrels aren't native to America, And the decline of Reds in the UK is partly down to Parapoxvirus which the Greys (introduced to the UK in the 19thc) carry but are largely unaffected by, It kills Reds.

Part of the reason why Reds are hanging on in some places is probably food competition. Greys outcompete reds in deciduous woodland, but reds outcompete Greys in conifer woodland e.g Greys can apparently eat unripe and ripe acorns, but reds can only eat ripe acorns, so by the time acorns become available for Reds, the Greys have already eaten large quantities.

In the less productive fir woodland, the smaller reds have a small advantage, and as far as I am aware, it tends to be areas dominated by native pine (e.g. Scots Pine) forest that are holding onto the Reds.

Greys still eat conifer seeds, but prefer the larger seeds associated with broadleaf trees ie more energy for the same (or less) handling time .

Approximate daily energy needs of a red squirrel is about 60% of the energy requirements of a grey squirrel.

Greys are also actively culled in some areas where they are threatening native Red populations.
Their are some black squirrels in Woburn, not to far from the safari park.

I wanted to save metering mode, whether or not I use auto-iso, plus any other things that I can think of that haven't come to mind yet. Basically, I want to be able to change everything I might use for general photography into that which I might want to use for bird-in-flight photography. I have trawled the internet and a lot of what I want to do can't be done as far as I can see, although it's not always very clear, so I've given up on the idea.
You can save everything that is in the Shooing Menu, inc auto iso settings, (and metering mode if you switch on the extended photo menu banks) into the shooting menu bank, but switching BBF of and on would need to be done in the Custom menu settings bank, ie any feature within the custom menus can only be set in a custom menu bank, so you can't combine switching both of these into a single menu bank change.

The menu banks in the Nikon Pro bodies don't seem to be designed for quickly changing between types of photography ie, general to landscape to sports, but for subtle and dynamic changes within a specific genre. When I was looking into it, I found them commonly and enthusiastically used by sports photographers, where the dynamic nature of the memory banks over the more complete, custom but static settings of custom settings found on the non-pro bodies was appreciated.

I have also just got a d850 which I wondered about the sense of as mirrorless seems to be the way forward, but as good as an evf is i can't get away with it using one yet and there is the additional expense of the memory card and adapter. My last camera was a d800 and lasted 10 years so i may get a lot of use out of the d850 yet.

Has anyone used the pce 24mm on a d850 (or at all)? I was looking at one but am not entirely sure about whether the image quality is there with it.

I have also just got a d850 which I wondered about the sense of as mirrorless seems to be the way forward, but as good as an evf is i can't get away with it using one yet and there is the additional expense of the memory card and adapter. My last camera was a d800 and lasted 10 years so i may get a lot of use out of the d850 yet.
You will. Sensor wise, there isn't anything superior about the Nikon mirrorless cameras. Unless you shoot action etc this camera is as relevent now, for what I do, as it was in 2017.
Has anyone used the pce 24mm on a d850 (or at all)? I was looking at one but am not entirely sure about whether the image quality is there with it.
I used one on a D800/D810, I wasn't overly impressed with it in the corners/edges.

I bought a brand new D850 just a few weeks ago but could have gone mirrorless as I also changed a couple of lenses, so it wouldn't have been such a financial strain, however, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I would have had to buy a Z8, so I would have had to pay out a lot more money as the Z6ii and Z7ii just seemed to me to be a downgrade from the D810 I already had; I really couldn't justify a Z9 on cost alone. I did have a problem with the D850 which necessitated it being replaced but that all seems sorted now. Having just seen the problem with the Z8 lugs pulling out, I'm glad I didn't go for it now.

The D850 seems to tick all my boxes for the foreseeable future and I'm pleased I bought it.

I didn't save on the storage though because I ended up buying a 128GB CFExpress card and a reader.

My dad has a Z7 and it is nice but i do not like the EVF. It is great to see the histogram in the viewfinder but i dont like the look of it - if the Z7, Z7ii had something like the fuji cameras where you can swap between evf and ovf it may have been a different story.

I have realised one fantastic thing about the D850! Since Nikon are moving to mirrorless and the D850 in it's current version will almost certainly be the last, mine will never be superseded by a later model. That pleases me greatly as too many times have I bought something only to find it's old hat with a few months.

These are really coming down, £1580 at EinFin

£1730 at Panamoz

These are really coming down, £1580 at EinFin

£1730 at Panamoz
ill pull the triggr at 1k

It would be interesting to see a wider composition via a few stitches.

It would be interesting to see a wider composition via a few stitches.
Wouldn't work, you'd start catching bits of messy folliage etc. They're composed, carefully, this way for a reason. I am not a fan of letterbox pictures anyway. I was looking at some images last night, and one looked very wide. I realised I cropped it 7x5. The occassional 2:1 or 16:9/10 5:2 might work, but it's not really an aspect ratio that relates to how we see the world.

Back