Nikon Z* mirrorless

My local WEX ( small store ) is saying mine looks like April/May now and the entire group have had VERY little thus far, I wouldn’t be surprised if this estimate moves further. I am a bit disappointed but nothing I can do and I did wait a bit before ordering min, as it stands I may have no job and may not be able to buy anyway but I live in hope.
I was getting fed up of waiting to be honest especially since all the groups I kept seeing so many in other areas of the world with them?

I had decided to wait another month then was going to go the Panamoz route if not, so that always an option if you really far down the list

I was getting fed up of waiting to be honest especially since all the groups I kept seeing so many in other areas of the world with them?

I had decided to wait another month then was going to go the Panamoz route if not, so that always an option if you really far down the list
I am starting to think that way (work dependant) enjoy your new camera :)

Nikon Z9 with my 500mm f/5.6 PF. TP NT1.jpg

New Camera Day today so had to take this shot. The awesome new Nikon Z9! I've been out with is this afternoon taking bird shots in gloomy weather that I wouldn't normally take photos in - especially in flight. I'ts witchcraft I tell ye! Witchcraft!!!!

Nikon Z9 by Dave Green, on Flickr

i-27SnzNS-X3.jpg

New Camera Day today so had to take this shot. The awesome new Nikon Z9! I've been out with is this afternoon taking bird shots in gloomy weather that I wouldn't normally take photos in - especially in flight. I'ts witchcraft I tell ye! Witchcraft!!!!

i-27SnzNS-X3.jpg

thats a wonderful shot! Especially with that 50mm ;)

Well.... after a few glasses of wine, in the early hours of this morning.... I bought a Z9

Now a long-ish wait I guess...
Drink and the Internet regularly costs quite a bit. I've fell foul to that situation more than once. The removal of inhibitions and rational thinking can be dangerous whilst hovering over the "Buy" button.

i-27SnzNS-X3.jpg
That bird shot is awesome.

Anyone have the 100-400 yet? If so how are you finding it? Especially if its on a Z6/Z7 (I or II) as wondering if autofocus has improved in speed and accuracy over FTZ adapted lens?

First very quick impressions.

Stunning.

Very weird not hearing a shutter. Auto focus is incredible, especially 3D. Viewfinder is massive which is great because I have an eye condition.

Quality is of course superb.

I do not miss my D850 and D5.

Very, very impressed.

Oh, and it’s big. Bigger than I was expecting but the weight is just right.

First very quick impressions.

Stunning.

Very weird not hearing a shutter. Auto focus is incredible, especially 3D. Viewfinder is massive which is great because I have an eye condition.

Quality is of course superb.

I do not miss my D850 and D5.

Very, very impressed.
That’s what you call an early review lol

I had mine a few days but still testing, I think first thing I noticed is battery life but probably worse because testing things. I will deffo need a second battery, that is when you can get one

Last edited:
I thought I had better order a 24-120 rather than wait for it to be on stock, what with all the delays, expecting end of March.

Order went in 2 days ago on the Nikon Uk store and have just had my card charged so it looks like a fresh batch has landed.

That’s what you call an early review lol

I had mine a few days but still testing, I think first thing I noticed is battery life but probably worse because testing things. I will deffo need a second battery, that is when you can get one
3D tracking with the live screen is something else, as is the people/animal tracking.

Once the 100-400 arrives that will really test the AF.

On batteries, it’s annoying that a second battery is out of stock everywhere!

Eurasian Jay Z9 + 600F4 FL

Something I know very well so thought would be a good test, so much easier than having to try and move focus point and fit them in frame, now I can just lock on the eye and move the frame where I want!

Quality as to be expected and on par with D850

Eye detect worked flawlessly in 3D mode, just need some flying subjects and action now to test, but so far nothing not to like :)

_DSC0495 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

_DSC0474 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

_DSC0344 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

_DSC0355 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Wow ^ the Z9 can really make those lenses sing! Wish I hadn't seen those images, now I want a Z9 :(

Two things

1. The new lenses will have been designed around 45mp - the D850 etc.
2. Very accurate and fast AF
3. The main thing - good photographer - good technique and boom....

That's the appeal for me - they really are the right size/weight for me.

Last edited:
This is my concern. I’ve never held a camera this size before, my current one is a Z6II. I’m hoping someone down the local reserve gets one soon so I can have a try.

Kingfisher Nikon Z9 + 600 F4 FL + 1.4TC III ( 3D tracking ) Handheld!!

Tried on a much smaller subject today and yet again the tracking was very impressive! These are big crops and like before would say what I expected from the D850 in terms of sharpness etc, but was impressive it locked onto the eye and kept it even in quite messy areas was very good. It not infallible though and did struggle a couple of times and refused to lock even though I could see the out of focus bird in the viewfinder. This was few and far between though

Flying subjects next on the check list :)

_DSC0727 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

_DSC0735 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

_DSC0582E by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

I thought I had better order a 24-120 rather than wait for it to be on stock, what with all the delays, expecting end of March.

Order went in 2 days ago on the Nikon Uk store and have just had my card charged so it looks like a fresh batch has landed.

Hoping mine arrives soon from Wex. Had it on order for a few weeks. Will replace my “kit” 24-70.
I placed my order a week ago with Hilton photographic. They had 4 pre-orders including me. Hopefully it won’t be too long now.

Now had a quick look on Backcountry Gallery Photography forum and there is a thread about Z9 shutter error. Anybody over this side of the pond heard about anything ?

Last edited:
Now had a quick look on Backcountry Gallery Photography forum and there is a thread about Z9 shutter error. Anybody over this side of the pond heard about anything ?
Yes seen a few on Facebook as well having same issues. How widespread wouldn’t like to say, but the one you mentioned looks the most severe, the others seem be just random now and again?

Hopefully something will come out from Nikon of what cause is, but seems random and nothing to do with a particular lens or setting etc?

I haven't had shutter error but I have experienced two occasions of it crashing. Both times it's just fully locked up, requiring battery out to get going again.

I've probably shot 2000 frames in the last week, but to be honest at 20 fps, that's not really a challenge.

Autofocus does take some getting used to. There are so many different options that you really have to tailor it to EXACTLY what you are shooting, unless you go for the standard single point or group of points. The AF is however utterly brilliant. 3D tracking where you can see the focus points move in the display is just incredible.

Still by far and away the best camera I've owned.

Last edited:
Back to Nikon normality today. Used to lose my old D750 eye pieces all the time… been wandering around with the Z6 today and guess what…yep, lost the eyepiece! :mad:

What is it about Nikon and eyepieces!

Back to Nikon normality today. Used to lose my old D750 eye pieces all the time… been wandering around with the Z6 today and guess what…yep, lost the eyepiece! :mad:

What is it about Nikon and eyepieces!
I was forever losing my D750 eye piece also. Luckily I think that was the only Nikon that suffered from that for me, the Z6 and Z7II have been a nice tight fit so far.

I used to use a tiny bit of blu tak to keep them on.
I didn’t realise it was still an issue with them. I used to use a dab of clear nail varnish. Looks like I’ll be back to that. :banghead::ROFLMAO:

Back