Nikon Z* mirrorless

Eurasian Jay Z9 + 600F4 FL

Something I know very well so thought would be a good test, so much easier than having to try and move focus point and fit them in frame, now I can just lock on the eye and move the frame where I want!

Quality as to be expected and on par with D850

Eye detect worked flawlessly in 3D mode, just need some flying subjects and action now to test, but so far nothing not to like :)

_DSC0495 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

_DSC0474 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

_DSC0344 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

_DSC0355 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

AMAZING freaking amazing ..

Even though I don`t know you - just for the record - I hate you right now ..

Tantrum over :crying: :crying:

ENJOY

Coho - Blue

OK I'll try again posting after cooling off...

Some captures of one of our resident cormorant at a local pond.

Taken with the 70-200s + 1.4tc @280mm and then cropped.

Oh and yes I know I've got a tree out of his/her head on two of them, didn't see that until I sat down to edit.

DSC_2805_fb.jpg

DSC_2844_fb.jpg

DSC_2788.jpg

Last edited:
It's the background that takes away from them, were they shot at f4?
Yes the TC takes the lens to f4 and it was shot wide open. The background is the background not much I can do about that TBH, but the quality of the images after uploading is really not great. Struggling to really get photos to look good when uploaded to TP honestly.

Well the first 2 are processed in Capture One and then resharpened in PS after resizing. They looked fine on FB but on here rubbish, the third one was processed in lightroom. Lightroom seems to have an issue right now with Z9 noise so I'm trying to not use it but I'll try one of them processed in LR then exported and resharpened in PS here to see if it looks better. The full size output isn't as good as Capture one but lets see...

DSC_2805-2.jpg

Pete, most on here post via Flickr. Seems to improve the sharpness.
It's a pain but works for most.

Bargain 24-120 f4 S on eBay if anyone is after one. Use code Flash10 for another £50 off.

Nothing to do with me but seller seems to have decent feedback.

Link

Bargain 24-120 f4 S on eBay if anyone is after one. Use code Flash10 for another £50 off.

Nothing to do with me but seller seems to have decent feedback.

Link

I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not, after a couple of beers, but I've bought it!

I've been wanting a bit more reach, currently using a 24-70.

I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not, after a couple of beers, but I've bought it!

Nice little deal that. I would have been all over it but mine turned up this week from Nikon

Are you happy with it?

It's never a good idea to keep looking after you have bought something!
Not had much time with it but all good so far.

I am after a couple of other Z lens so have it set as an alert. Just thought it was worth a share and hopefully benefit the TP crowd.

Enjoy !

I’m pondering whether to sell my 14-30.
I bought it new at full price (Wex) about 2 years ago.
Hardly used it.

What sort of price did you have in mind? It’s pristine.

Thank you but I think that steps outside the rules around selling on here.

I understand you have to list it in the classifieds.

Well it arrived very quickly. Came with a fitted UV filter. Filter and some bits of the barrel of the lens were quite dirty, but cleaned up quite easily and it's working fine. At first try I'd say image quality is better than my 24-70.

No hood, box, bag, but for saving about £400 I can live with that! Not made a decision on my 24-70 f4 yet, but I might sell it, as I don't think I need both.

Well it arrived very quickly. Came with a fitted UV filter. Filter and some bits of the barrel of the lens were quite dirty, but cleaned up quite easily and it's working fine. At first try I'd say image quality is better than my 24-70.

No hood, box, bag, but for saving about £400 I can live with that! Not made a decision on my 24-70 f4 yet, but I might sell it, as I don't think I need both.
Been really impressed with the shots I have seen from Matt Irwin etc with this lens and did make me consider it over the Z 24-70 2.8 but think the quickness of that lens will win out for my needs.
Great saving on the lens,

That’s a result mate. It came up on my eBay feed when I was looking but looked too good to be true so I passed on it.

More fool me by the sound of it.

Enjoy.

DSC_1103.jpg

Z9 update.

This is by no means an award winning photograph but it did highlight how you do need to shoot slightly differently in certain environments.

This was looking straight into the bright sun. With a regular viewfinder, your eye would adjust for the bright light; with an electronic viewfinder, you are relying on the sensor and its interpretation.

Now, whilst this can mean you occasionally did to take a second peak at what you are shooting, for nearly everything, especially in low light, the electronic viewfinder is much better.

Overall, still absolutely loving it. 50 f1.2 is arriving next week and should be followed soon by the 100-400. Very happy indeed.

Another Z9 update. It crashes, quite a lot.

Probably at least once a day I have to take the battery out and do a full reset. Not sure if I’ve been unlucky but I can count on one hand, with some fingers missing, when my D5 or D850 crashed.

Probably at least once a day I have to take the battery out and do a full reset. Not sure if I’ve been unlucky but I can count on one hand, with some fingers missing, when my D5 or D850 crashed.
I'd heard that. Hopefully they will be able sort it out the cause with a firmware update soon.

Interestingly mine hasn't crashed once since getting it.

I am sure this has happened with a previous camera and it turned out to be specific memory card/make? Would be worth people trying another brand card possibly

Cracking set of images

Excellent set of captures always found them rather elusive to shoot
Eurasian Jay Z9 + 600F4 FL

Something I know very well so thought would be a good test, so much easier than having to try and move focus point and fit them in frame, now I can just lock on the eye and move the frame where I want!

Quality as to be expected and on par with D850

Eye detect worked flawlessly in 3D mode, just need some flying subjects and action now to test, but so far nothing not to like :)

_DSC0495 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

_DSC0474 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

_DSC0344 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

_DSC0355 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Also a shot to illustrate what we've lost with S lenses.

This shot was taken with a Z6 with a 50/1.4G on the FTZ adapter. Had I used an S lens this wouldn't have been possible. Why you ask? Because the S lenses don't flare, at least so little it's nearly impossible to create this look in camera. I've tried something similar with the 50/1.2 recently and not a single bit of flare showed up in the image. One thing the new lenses going to force us to do is become more graphical artists as well as photographers. Because things like this flare would have to be created in photoshop, and without it, this image wouldn't be half the image it is now.

DSC_0822_s.jpg

An image from my first couple of hours with my new 14-30 (thanks E-Infintiy)DZC_0390.jpg

Hi all

Sold all my Dslr kit! (Figured it was the right time).

I got the Nikon Z7 II w/ 24-70 2.8 S and 50 1.8 S. Great deal on them too :)

I've been looking through the thread, some great photographs! First time owning a Nikon camera, looks like it's gonna be fun!

I'll post some shots from it once I get chance to go out soon.

James

Back