Nokia 41MP Smartphone.

Edit My Images
Yes
Move over Nikon!

"The Lumia 1020 features a 41MP PureView sensor that provides the camera with a 6x zoom while still maintaining decent resolution. Additionally, the Lumia 1020 includes a Xenon flash bulb instead of the common LED “flash” found on smartphones today (iPhone 5 included). There is 32GB of onboard storage for those large image files."

See HERE for details and pics.

"Video capture does 1080p at 30fps with up to a 4x zoom, or you can go 720p with up to a 6x zoom and no loss of resolution. That’s putting that 41MP PureView to work.
It has a 4.5-inch AMOLED PureMotion HD+ display (1280 x 768 pixels, 16:9 aspect ratio) made with Gorilla Glass 3 and is super sensitive to touch even with fingernails or while wearing gloves."

"Additionally, a camera grip is available as an $80 accessory for the Lumia 1020. It snaps on the phone to provide more of a camera feel and features extra battery power, a shutter button and a standard tripod mount."

So what's next for the FF DSLR?

a 100MP sensor?

Last edited:
Looks nice although as with these things the little lens wont be pulling up trees. That said, I'd be happy to have one in my back pocket.

Did you see the next article on that page ? - Nokia Tries to Pass Off DSLR Footage as Legit Video by Lumia 920

That grip is clever, thought it was just a piece of plastic like a back cover but it actually has a built in battery.

That grip is clever, thought it was just a piece of plastic like a back cover but it actually has a built in battery.

A tripod mount too.

It might be handy back up to snap on when the 'phone' dies too.

I was looking at the supposed example shots from this phone earlier today and if they are genuinely from the phone then it certainly looks to perform well (outside of the marketing speak of 41mp which they fail to mention is interpolated..).

However, I'm not so sure anybody's going to take much notice until Nokia actually use genuine footage having read the second article down mentioned in the earlier post. The Nokia official video for their O.I.S. stabilisation looks impressive until you look around 27 seconds where there is a reflection showing a DSLR with a steadicam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cimDfEIEiu0

I see Nokia have stamped a box at the top of the video stating, "Simulation of OIS Technology" although that's only visible on full screen. Their example still photographs with OIS are also obviously shot with off camera lighting so there doesn't seem to be any actual footage or stills taken with a Lumia phone (other than the 'before' jumpy video and blurry stills..) so I'll reserve judgement!

Cheers
Steve

I was looking at the supposed example shots from this phone earlier today and if they are genuinely from the phone then it certainly looks to perform well (outside of the marketing speak of 41mp which they fail to mention is interpolated..).

However, I'm not so sure anybody's going to take much notice until Nokia actually use genuine footage having read the second article down mentioned in the earlier post. The Nokia official video for their O.I.S. stabilisation looks impressive until you look around 27 seconds where there is a reflection showing a DSLR with a steadicam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cimDfEIEiu0

I see Nokia have stamped a box at the top of the video stating, "Simulation of OIS Technology" although that's only visible on full screen. Their example still photographs with OIS are also obviously shot with off camera lighting so there doesn't seem to be any actual footage or stills taken with a Lumia phone (other than the 'before' jumpy video and blurry stills..) so I'll reserve judgement!

Cheers
Steve

The whole IS video filmed with a DSLR thing was a preview for when the Lumia 920 came out. There's plenty of legit videos out there by now for the 920/925 to show the IS in action.

The external case/cover with the extra battery/tripod mount looks good and I think the wireless charging is also done in the cover since it's not built in to the phone :(

its not interpolated, the 5mp pics are downsampled from the original, think its 7 to 1 ratio, and with the 808 even the full size at 100% looked decent :-O.

and with how small sensors work the post process zoom is interesting, as you get a large depth of field

Looking at the full size shots they look good at the screen size but when they're magnified to actual size in the browser there's a lot of smudging/softening which is why I believed they're resized files to get to 41mp.

The exif shows they were shot at low ISO so I can't see the smudging being caused by noise reduction in camera? Not forgetting that this is a phone at the end of the day, they're definitely good quality but I can't help trying to see past the marketing hype. Why such a huge leap in megapixels if not to try and make the marketing department wet themselves with excitement!

Thanks although I'm not actually questioning their OIS tech (I mentioned it above because of the example video showing made up marketing). I'm more interested in why Nokia had chosen to put a "41 megapixel" sensor into a phone if not just to try and impress the marketing department.

Reading up on the technology behind it;

"as you might have surmised, this handset doesn’t take full 41-megapixel stills. Instead, it oversamples — taking the image data from seven neighboring pixels and consolidating it into one pixel’s worth — and generates pictures roughly 5 megapixels in size."

I guess this may cause the smudging?

Ultimately it's a phone so we can't expect miracles but if this is a sign of things to come then I like it :)

I keep thinking "how tiny are those pixels to fit 41 mp worth onto that tiny sensor."

i wonder if the lens is good enough to keep up with that insane pixel density? could be the reason for some softness too

The photo I clicked on above is pretty horrendous! The cars are like smudges.

No thanks.

I think this serves as proof that Megapixels alone do not = better quality.

Viewing the photo's on screen or 'downsizing' them back to a resolution similar to other camera phones (eg my s3 is 3264x2448) does give good results, even considering the lens can be soft towards the edges. Considering it's still a camera phone then I think the results from it are very good.

Shame about the marketing hype, but I think Nokia do need to make a big effort to drum up interest in their handsets these days.

It's not a DSLR... The 41MP sensor isn't there to give us crazy sharp images and the lens also won't give us crazy sharp images that are crazy in image size.

What it will do is give us very good images (including then zoomed) when compared to other mobile phone cameras.

No thanks.

:D I think that's the first thing I was told when looking at buying my first DSLR...

The Nokia is an interesting 'camera phone' but I don't really see it as much more than a marketing gimmick.

Before I bought my first dslr, when i was using bridge cameras and compacts mostly - I talked to a local, successful photographer, a friend of my partner. I asked her about megapixels, "was 10mp enough?" - I was looking into a Sony and also a D200 - there was already 20mp compacts about. Her one piece of advice, outside of 'get whatever feels best for you' type, was "20mp of ******, is still ******" - I always remember that, as it made complete sense.

41mp means absolutely nothing, when it's crammed on to a sensor no bigger than your pinky finger nail.

People actually questioned the D800, a full frame sensor camera, how would it cope with 36mp?!! - and now this is all fine? A teensy sensor is going to pack in 41mp? You're at medium format numbers here :D

I just see more mush compacted.

I'm not anti-phone cam or anything. Let them rip. I use an iphone 5, but the camera is so poor in anything bar very good light, I normally just don't bother. My fuji, give me that any day over any phone cam with a billion MP!

It's all about the sensor ... ignore tha jangly numbers. Only gadget freaks will fall for this one, surely?

the idea was to do zoom without a bulky complex fragile optical zoom, so todo that with a low mp sensor isn't going to work.
I'm suspecting the lower size sensor and blurry edges are packaging issues, there's massive pressure to be thin with mobile phones

I'll look for some 808 samples

Looking at the tech, there aren't actually 41mp on the sensor, it's more like 5mp physically but the software uses the original pixel plus 7 surrounding it to 'make up' a 41mp image showing again how it's marketing hype for a basically upscaled image. This is how it does its' 'killer' feature of generating the 41mp image for personal editing etc and the online friendly 5mp image. The only image produced by the physical sensor is 5mp.

I agree with the fact it's a camera on a phone shows good results but still believe it's more about marketing to try and get interest in their phone when their sales are miles behind apple/android.

Last edited:
Frankly I think that most of the pics have quite good quality, even the extrapolated ones.

The one thing I did notice was the noise at even low ISO - I don't think any ones taken at night would be anywhere near the quality they claim.

I don't think it down samples to 5mp, that's the native resolution of the sensor. It upscales that by using the 'standard' pixel and including the 7 around it to make up the 41mp resolution.

it really doesnt, why go to all the effort todo 5mp >34mp >5mp, and the "loss less" zoom would be utterly terrible, worse than zooming or cropping on a normal 8mp phone.

No thanks.

Precisely my thoughts as I click through those images, they're worse than the photos from my iPhone 4S. Much worse in fact. The camera might have loads of pixels but they're not equating to actual detail because the processing is absolutely tearing the image to pieces, even resized to 1600 wide they look pretty damned poor.

Sometimes the consumer-driven trend of piling the pixels on gets right on my wick!

im having a guess at they tried too hard to fit to much in, and maybe some windows phone jpg issues too, the 808 worked really well, 1020 doesnt so much :/

Cool. This obsoletes my 5DIII + 1DsII put together (22+16=38MP).

I shall be selling everything off, and ordering 2 of these instead. I hope this has 'P' for professional mode?

Don't worry, I'm sure there are many professional apps to replace the need for P mode. It's all about the apps.

Lot of people showing some ill-informed tech snobbery here....

It's a native 41MP sensor. It is primarily used for:

5mp mode with pixel binning to provide superior low-light performance.

Oodles of digital zoom.

You can use it in native mode as well. There's nothing to not like about this tech. Would the snide remarks be coming if Nikon/Canon produced a camera with a 200mp sensor that downsampled to 20 and blew away the competition for ISO performance?

Lot of people showing some ill-informed tech snobbery here....

It's a native 41MP sensor. It is primarily used for:

5mp mode with pixel binning to provide superior low-light performance.

Oodles of digital zoom.

You can use it in native mode as well. There's nothing to not like about this tech. Would the snide remarks be coming if Nikon/Canon produced a camera with a 200mp sensor that downsampled to 20 and blew away the competition for ISO performance?

There are already plenty of talks about Canon 18MP APS-C sensor that is both too noisy and got too high pixel density, at least in its current Bayer type form.
I fear they might actually try to make a rubbish 200MP compact next year...

Don't worry, I'm sure there are many professional apps to replace the need for P mode. It's all about the apps.

But... it doesn't run on android! This is going to be a dealbreaker :shake:

There are already plenty of talks about Canon 18MP APS-C sensor that is both too noisy and got too high pixel density, at least in its current Bayer type form.
I fear they might actually try to make a rubbish 200MP compact next year...

Completely missed the point. Again!

It's not about 41mp images, it's about 5mp images with less noise...and bags of digital zoom.

Last edited:
there's a sony one coming soon, and wp is fine anyways, much prefer it for actual phone stuff vs andriod

To be fair though, there are numerous posts here agreeing that the actual images shown by Nokia have smudged details indicating either poor image rendering or just a side effect of the technology. Either way, as much as I like it when companies bring out genuine new technology I'm still not blown away by this. I agree that the tech could be the future but at the moment I'm not rushing out to get on the waiting list.

To be fair though, there are numerous posts here agreeing that the actual images shown by Nokia have smudged details indicating either poor image rendering or just a side effect of the technology. Either way, as much as I like it when companies bring out genuine new technology I'm still not blown away by this. I agree that the tech could be the future but at the moment I'm not rushing out to get on the waiting list.

There are pixel peepers who don't understand the tech who are comparing a phone camera to a D800.

Compare the output to another camera phone and you will see why the tech is worthwhile.

Back