Nokia Lumia 1020

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
My phone contract is due for renewal soon and I have been looking at the Nokia 1020.

I had a 925 previously and liked the Windows system apart from the poor compatibility with Google services. It looks like the latest update has addressed this and I can get the 1020 for a very good price on contract.

Has anyone tried the camera on the Nokia as this is the big attraction for me? I'm not expecting it to be of equal quality to a compact but would be interested to hear how it compares to other phone cameras and whether it really is
a step up.

Thanks

The camera is superb on the 1020.. I'll post up some shots I've taken with it once the kids are in bed later.. Lol

My wife has one and I know some of the imaging team at Nokia. Great phones and cameras and about to get a whole lot better <Taps nose>

Last edited:
There's a nice battery grip you can get for it, too. It'll blow away most compacts, it really is that good

Thanks guys - I think you've made up my mind for me.

There looks to be an offer on until 3/8 for a free battery grip which makes it even more appealing!

They're super shots Marcus. (y)

Cheers matey - its one of those where you need to decide whats important in a phone (apart from text and calls lol) - as its not got the catalogue of apps of the iPhone or the Samsungs... but if you want the best camera on a phone then IMO the 1020 wins hands down (y)

Cheers matey - its one of those where you need to decide whats important in a phone (apart from text and calls lol) - as its not got the catalogue of apps of the iPhone or the Samsungs... but if you want the best camera on a phone then IMO the 1020 wins hands down (y)
The Lumia 925 I had was also a MUCH better phone than any of the Samsungs or iPhones!

I have the S3 and the missus has the 925 (thanks to help from @landwomble ) The Nokia seems better built and i had contemplated getting the 1020 but i don't think i could get on with the windows UI unfortunately.

Its a doddle to use matey - I came from an Android background and really did fancy a change... although the Windows store offering is limited there's still not been an occasion yet where I've not found a decent rated app on there to do the task I wanted (y)

Its a doddle to use matey - I came from an Android background and really did fancy a change... although the Windows store offering is limited there's still not been an occasion yet where I've not found a decent rated app on there to do the task I wanted (y)
Have you got the latest Windows Phone 8.1 update? If so do you use it with Gmail and Google calendar/contacts?

Decision made then. The main issue I had before was not having push email with Gmail and the painful workaround syncing contacts and calendar

think even 7 had push email unless it was some odd setup you had? both my 800 and 1020 have been fine with email :)

check hotukdeals for deals and cashbacks

only downside to the camera is its abit slow at times due to huge ass raw files :D, but it can shoot at silly shutter speeds and slave optical flash sync works with the yn560.... at any speed :eek:

the best case is the S line cases, they look awful on ebay but are actually nice in the flesh and have a really good grip

Good news is that I picked up a shiny new 1020 today from O2, better news is it was the 64gb version not the 32gb version. Bad news (for now) is that Windows 8.1 update hasn't been released via O2 yet.

I can sync Gmail and Google contacts/calendar but it is a but clunky and I don't get push email. However, I tried one of the 930's in store which had Windows 8.1 and it was much better - just have to be patient.

Will have a play with the camera later.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Excellent shot matey - glad you're liking the quality (y)

I can see this turning into the official Nokia 1020 thread :whistle:

:D

Dave how do you find it compared to the 925..I have a 925 and often thought about getting a 1020 to replace it,aside from the camera are there any other benefits to it.

Dave how do you find it compared to the 925..I have a 925 and often thought about getting a 1020 to replace it,aside from the camera are there any other benefits to it.
Stuart

It is difficult to say as it was a while back that I had the 925. I really liked the 925 but got frustrated by the poor synchronisation with Google services - Windows Phone 8.1 has sorted this.

The phone runs very smoothly (much more so than my Android phone) and it is far faster than the spec would suggest. I got a great deal on my upgrade from O2 and it was a pleasant surprise that the phone had 64gb of storage. I also got in just in time to get a free 'grip' from Nokia which turns the phone into a compact point ands shoot.

If you can get a good deal then I would certainly say it is worth the upgrade just for the camera.

As an aside the 925 and 1020 are also far better than iPhones and Android phones when it comes to being used as phones!

Not tried it yet - from what I have read the best way top use macro is to shoot at full resolution and then crop the image. I'll try one and post it here

Just been to the three store and new phones are so big!! The new S5, Sony Z2 and HTC One M8 are monsters!!! And the 1020 isn't much better. Suppose you'd get used to it but I was surprised to see them in the flesh. :eek:

Stuart

It is difficult to say as it was a while back that I had the 925. I really liked the 925 but got frustrated by the poor synchronisation with Google services - Windows Phone 8.1 has sorted this.

The phone runs very smoothly (much more so than my Android phone) and it is far faster than the spec would suggest. I got a great deal on my upgrade from O2 and it was a pleasant surprise that the phone had 64gb of storage. I also got in just in time to get a free 'grip' from Nokia which turns the phone into a compact point ands shoot.

If you can get a good deal then I would certainly say it is worth the upgrade just for the camera.

As an aside the 925 and 1020 are also far better than iPhones and Android phones when it comes to being used as phones!
Thanks Dave.I love the 925 mine is running 8.1 so no google issues.I did use to have only android but got bored of them and switched to windows,not sorry at all!They are so smooth and very customisable.Nice just to have the 2 screens and not endless ones.

my 1020 seems to be able to go beyond minium focal distance when focusing, but you cant access that bit to take the damn picture, which is abit annoying

Back