Non oem batter grip

Meike seem to be the a highly rated 3rd party grip for cameras instead of the original esp with Nikon bodies...

So maybe worth either having a wee search for Meike on the forum or in google when you get a min or two...

Thanks,

Ive had a google for Meike, Ive found a couple although the only ones from relaible looking sellers seem faily expensive, maybe thats for good reason though.

I'm tempted to get whichever of the reasonably priced ones on amazon gets the most 5* reviews.

I'm thinking the ones which have LCD's & remotes bundles with them for a fraction of the price of the canon one sound like there is too much to go wrong.

Hopefully an inexpensive one with good review that is fairly basic and good review should be a winner.

I'm only really after the extra battery like and the larger grip for use in portraight orientation

Adam, I had that exact Neewer grip, and I never had any problems at all with it over many thousands of shots...... well worth the cash in my opinion :)

I use a Meike grip with my 60D and think its great. Works perfectly and matches the body colour/feel well.

+1(y) I've had one for ages, no probs at all.

Yet!

That's a good price (at Amazon), even cheaper than eBay Chinese sellers.

Adam, I had that exact Neewer grip, and I never had any problems at all with it over many thousands of shots...... well worth the cash in my opinion :)

Thanks if someone else here has had that same one and got on well with it then I think for £18 its going to be worth a punt :)

I'm going to order one today i think

I purchase a third party? For my 5d mk2 for £20 and was surprised at the quality and functions, I have an original purchased in the Uk there are a few things different but works as the original

I've had 3rd party grips on all my Canon bodies so far. Still got the original one on the wifes 550D and it's well over a year old and taken in excess of 10K photos and it cost around £30 off ebay with a couple of batteries. I've now got one on my 60D and I'm awaiting delivery of one for my 5D3. I've been very impressed by all the grips I've had and all have worked flawlessly. I saved enough on the first 3 grips compared to Canon prices to enable me to buy a Canon 70-200 f4 L lens, so I've got to be happy with that.

I have the Meike from Linkdelight on my 5D MK II.

Works great.

Only difference I can see between this and the genuine Canon battery grip is the battery compartment isn't rubberised on the Meike.

Just one thing,if your thinking of buying an say Blackrapid strap,I don't think I would trust,screwing into a cheap grip.

And yes I have seen both grips,the Nikon is a better build :)

Just one thing,if your thinking of buying an say Blackrapid strap,I don't think I would trust,screwing into a cheap grip.

And yes I have seen both grips,the Nikon is a better build :)

I have both the Meike and a genuine Canon battery grip for my 50D's & have no qualms about using my Black Rapid clone strap on either with my 24-105L attached to either body.

However, I wouldn't trust any battery grip + Black Rapid type strap with a heavier lens such as my 28-300L. I always attach the strap to the tripod grip with that one ;)

I think where Simon is coming from is the fact that the Nikon oem is steel/metal enforced just like the bodies opposed to the just plastic of the Chinese knock offs.

Also I don't know whether the canon ones do that as well, the cheap Chinese copies for Nikon seem a lot of the time have the two control wheels reversed in their operations. Something to consider. But perhaps not an issues at entry level cameras.

meike for canon the wheels operate the same :)

cant comment on what the meike is made from, never taken one apart but the only metal body grip im aware of for canon is the 5D one. either way the meike feels solid (i regularly swing the 5dmk2 and 70-200 2.8 around by the grip), but like colin said should be fine for small lenses on a BR strap anything heavier should use the tripod collar.

I have the Meike from Linkdelight on my 5D MK II.

Works great.

Only difference I can see between this and the genuine Canon battery grip is the battery compartment isn't rubberised on the Meike.
And the feel of the shutter release isn't the same (clicky vs pressure).

The third party grip I had for the 5D2 didn't do the right thing with reporting battery charge either.

The third party grip I had for the 5D2 didn't do the right thing with reporting battery charge either.

dont know which one you had but i find the meike is quite easy to knock off 2 shots.

my 5dmk2 version reports 2 batteries (3rd party) with separate life/health/shutter clicks :)

dont know which one you had but i find the meike is quite easy to knock off 2 shots.
The shutter release is different (at least it was on the older Meikes). I'm not saying it doesn't work for most, just that it is different (and also won't have the internal mag-alloy body).

my 5dmk2 version reports 2 batteries (3rd party) with separate life/health/shutter clicks :)
This was the problem I had with mine: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=268724

I decided to order one from the link, I thought for the sake of £18 it was worth it for the odd time i might use it.

It arrived this morning, and it is actually a Meike grip, quality is good, the finish is almost identical to the camera body, buttons and wheels all feel smooth and well made. Came supplied with original battery holder and AA holder.

While I might not use it often as I value the small size low weight of the body it is undoubtably worth the £18 it cost. Actually, it must rank as quite a bargain.

I decided to order one from the link, I thought for the sake of £18 it was worth it for the odd time i might use it.

It arrived this morning, and it is actually a Meike grip, quality is good, the finish is almost identical to the camera body, buttons and wheels all feel smooth and well made. Came supplied with original battery holder and AA holder.

While I might not use it often as I value the small size low weight of the body it is undoubtably worth the £18 it cost. Actually, it must rank as quite a bargain.

That's good to hear I ordered one yesterday, should be with me tomorrow

That's good to hear I ordered one yesterday, should be with me tomorrow

Also ordered yesterday, was lucky in that Amazon now offer free next day delivery even for Sunday orders with Amazon Prime.

You shouldn't be disappointed, I have an original Canon grip on my EOS 50, they actually feel pretty similar from a construction quality point of view.

Mine arrived today and is also a meike one, feels pretty well made look like a bargain for £18

£18 is most definitely a bargain, even for chinese plastic :p :) Glad to hear it is all good...

arad85 said:

Although not quite the same, the shutter release on my Meike certainly hasn't been a problem. I have a mix of original and OEM batteries for my 5D2 and Ive never had the reporting problem.

Back