Nook Simple Reader - £29 shipped

Name
Mick
Edit My Images
Yes
http://uk.nook.com/

This eReader is usually £79, so £29 is a great price.

You can also get 8% off through Quidco too.

Now here's my plan. You can root this as its running Android under the hood and apparently you can then run the Amazon Kindle app. So i'm hoping to read all those free Kindle books from the Free Kindle Books thread: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=393737

Other Android tips for it here: "Turn Your Rooted Nook Into the Ultimate Ereader with These 10 Apps"
http://lifehacker.com/5926798/turn-your-rooted-nook-into-the-ultimate-ereader-with-these-10-apps

:D

Last edited:
That look a pretty good deal, shame this wasn't around when I got my wife her kindle.

I bought one for my Mum and picked it up on the way home from work today.

For £29 it's a very nice bit of kit, slicker in some ways than than my basic Kindle, as you'd expect from an e-ink screen very nice to read from and easy to set up.

Can't say I'm keen on the Nook book store insisting you register a payment method before it will allow you to 'buy' free books.

Now I've just got to pick up the one I've just ordered for myself and do some rooting :D

Last edited:
Don't really need one but what the heck :)

Am waiting for mine..
Will root it and use it as a comic reader ;)

Never even thought about getting a eReader but following the fold and just purchased one lol

They have also dropped the price of the newer Nook Glowlight as well, it's £69 at all their retailers (it's their version of the Kindle paperwhite).

Anyone reading in the dark or poor lighting conditions might want to consider it as a viable alternative to the Paperwhite at just over half the price.

Pah!

B&N are great at spamming you with emails about the process of your order, got the confirmation or order, got the confirmation of the confirmation, got the mail yesterday saying I should receive my item in 4-5 days, got a mail today saying sorry we told you that, we don't actually have any but you can go and buy the £69 glowlight version we've got those!

Pah!

B&N are great at spamming you with emails about the process of your order, got the confirmation or order, got the confirmation of the confirmation, got the mail yesterday saying I should receive my item in 4-5 days, got a mail today saying sorry we told you that, we don't actually have any but you can go and buy the £69 glowlight version we've got those!

That's poor. Should never have taken your order if that was the case. Its alright slashing the price to £29, but they must have known what the demand was going to be like?

That is poor.

If you still want one it would be worth looking on Sainsbury's or PC World/Curry's website, they had stock.

If you're really lucky PC World will give you the Glowlight version instead of the basic one as happened to a workmate :razz:

Pah!

Cheers scorpius, I've ordered one from PCWorld, no local stock and web stock not expected till the 9th but that will do. :)

Pah!

Same thing here, I don't read my e-mails very often so i'm hopping around in front of the door waiting for it to arrive and they never had it in the first place. Jerks. I've ordered another off Isme but it's giving a 3 week delivery time so I suspect they don't have stock but are 'expecting some' and it will similarly be cancelled in due course.

Don't suppose anyone got theirs yet?

As per above- ordered mine on the 2nd and literally just now got email from Nook saying due to unprecedent demand, my order will be fulfilled by next Friday 17th.

Not that bothered to be honest but would have been nice to get my hands on one before now.

Incidentally, when I ordered mine direct from Nook, there were a couple available from my local PCWorld (according to R &C) but went direct due to Quidco

I got the same email, after them telling me the order was canceled last week.

Their web site is a joke, you can see your order and a 'cancel' link but that just takes you to a faq, scroll way down to the bottom of that to find a link to email customer services to request cancellation.

Hugh

Didn't you originally ordered yours from B&N directly? Not sure if its any different from me as I ordered from Nooks website.

Did you end up picking one up from PCWorld?

Gary

I ordered from the Nook site as well Gary. One on back order from PCWorld and just had another email from Nook saying it's not possible to cancel theirs because the order is 'in progress' but I can apparently send it back after I receive it.

That's interesting.

I emailed them straight after my order as I wanted then to deliver to my work address but there wasn't anywhere to put my company name although I could choose the street name.

I wanted to be sure it would reach me so basically confirmed the delivery details in the email but all I got back was that my order had been processed and that I couldn't make any changes to it!

Will see if it actually arrives this week.

Incidentally, I've read over on hukd that people who ordered from B&N had already had the money taken out for their order but I can safely say mine hasn't yet and presume they will when its shipped

Gary

Likewise I've not been charged (as of Friday). I thought I was unique but then I checked the Nook FB page, it's inundated with complaints about their service and non delivery.

I got one of the last one's from my local PC World for £29 before they sold out. Unbeleivable bit of kit for the money so good I went back and bought the glow version. :D

Thing is what do I do with it not much point in trying to sell it on. :thinking:

Shipping and tracking email just received.

Guess should get it in the next day or so

I got one of the last one's from my local PC World for £29 before they sold out. Unbeleivable bit of kit for the money so good I went back and bought the glow version. :D

Thing is what do I do with it not much point in trying to sell it on. :thinking:

I'm sure many people would still be interested in a nearly new one for £30 ;).

I do agree though, the glow version is excellent, and far more practical (y).

Shipping and tracking email just received.

Guess should get it in the next day or so

I emailed them straight after my order as I wanted then to deliver to my work address but there wasn't anywhere to put my company name although I could choose the street name.

I wanted to be sure it would reach me so basically confirmed the delivery details in the email but all I got back was that my order had been processed and that I couldn't make any changes to it!

Will see if it actually arrives this week.

So i've been tracking it since i got the tracking info and it was out for delivery this morning.

Just checked again and it says "undelivered- do not have sufficient info" :bang:

Luckily, I rang the depo and told them and they are happy to redeliver it tomorrow. If I'm that desperate (i'm not really) I could pop down to them during my lunch break as its only 10mins drive away.

My Nook Nook is on the way too, UPS are pretty good about leaving stuff in the garage if I'm not in. Since I don't want to wait months for Nook to refund me I'm trying to get PCWorld to cancel their order, I don't need two of the things.

Ordered mine from Argos on Sunday online for 29 quid delivered and it came today

Charging now and will then have a look for some books, Dan Brown's new book is dearer than the Kindle version by about a pound. Sure there are plenty of freebies about and thought the Nook was worth a go for the money

Yeah! its here!!

Need to dig around the house and see if i have any micro SD cards so i can root the nook :)

Got mine today, rooted ok but I'm not seeing the Android interface I was expecting? I used NookManager to root it.

Got mine today, rooted ok but I'm not seeing the Android interface I was expecting? I used NookManager to root it.

Touch the right side of the screen in the middle and some icons pop up, touch the house icon and the pop up says "complete action using - ADW Launcher or Home".

ADW launches the Android interface and Home is the Nook interface.

No Dave that doesn't work. If I press the N button and the say the Home icon I get a pop up offering to use Home or ReLaunch. ReLaunch seems to be just a file manager and it's offered as a choice for Library as well.

I wondered if I'd used the wrong rooter so I tried using touchnooter and glownooter but both of those cause the Nook to hang on boot. Nook Manager at least works but I have no access to an Android style homescreen.

Scratch that, Apps are listed as a option in ReLaunch, not from a Android home screen.

I loaded ADW from play.google.com today, got my Android home screens a decent browser and a couple of reader apps, I'm set :)

Hugh,

Did you just followed the instructions on the life hacker link on first post to root it?

Yet to do mine and wondering how hard it is

Thanks

Gary

I used NookManager from this XDA thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2040351 I couldn't get touchnooter or glownooter to work for some reason.

The whole process is very easy and non destructive (I ended up doing it 6 or 7 times last night), whichever method you choose it's pretty much the same procedure. Download the rooting image of your choice, and use win32diskmanager to write it to the micro SD. Switch off the Nook, insert the card and switch the Nook back on, In my case NookManager boots and you follow the instructions on screen. I chose to back up the first time and that took ages but the rooting process was automated. When it's done you remove the SD card as it reboots as normal. One good thing about NookManager is it has an option to factory reset the Nook in case you mess it up.

When you press the N button after that you get a choice of using the original Home screen or the new ReLaunch file manager. If you then add GApps you can have access to google play, gmail etc.

Once I had GApps installed I downloaded a free app off the market to initiate make sure the Nook was registered there, then I went to play.google.com as I said above and installed a decent web browser, ADW and FBReader + Cool Reader (your Nook should show up simply as "Phone" in your list of devices there).

I would add that the Kindle app works well after rooting as well, even allowing direct downloading of purchased books.

I was just going to read books on mine, don't even know what rooting is let alone mess about with it.

Out of the box you can only read books you buy from B&N, rooting it lets you read Amazon books via their Kindle app and books/documents you download yourself via other Android apps.

Out of the box you can only read books you buy from B&N, rooting it lets you read Amazon books via their Kindle app and books/documents you download yourself via other Android apps.

Just to add, while still stock you can also load your own ePub files that you have downloaded to your PC, as long as they don't have DRM. It's pretty simple, connect with the cable and drag and drop into the "Books" folder.

Back