Nursery Nativity Play.......NO PHOTO'S ALOUD!

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

Its my daughters 1st ever Nativity Play on thursday and it's one of those events that every parent wants to capture. The problem is we(parents) are not aloud to take photographs until its all finished, or video record for that matter.

Obviously i'm not too happy and i'm currently in talks with the school.

I understand the reasons why we're not aloud don't get me wrong, but i don't have too agree or like it.

It sad that the only nativity play you get to see are your very own from years and years ago or on you've been framed.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Sometimes i think this country is becoming too 'PC'

Matt

Noise abatement issues apart, the school has the right to make the rules about what you can do on their property I reckon so just go and enjoy the show, keep the memories in your head.

so...

no school play photos
none in the Park either...may include another child in the frame
nor the swimming pool
and never at the beach

and your baby in the bath is reported by Boots

Daddy - where are all the pictures of me when I was little..??

NO answer son

Perhaps ask the school to give you the exact reasons why you're now allowed to take photos.

If you're reasonably confident in your abilities perhaps offer to share your photos with them for the school's website/news letters etc?

Got to be worth a go?

It was my sons first nativity last week at nursery (3+ 4) year olds. They just asked before it started if anyone had any issues with photos being taken. No one answered and everyone pulled cameras out.

The way it should be done imho

I think the main 2 reasons you are not allowed to take photo’s and film are
a) Facebook/social network sharing

b) it is a pain in the ass when 25/30 parent + equal amounts of grandparents, aunties etc all stand to take photo’s of the little un’s all everyone else gets to see is other peoples backsides.

The kiddies are shy and can be really put of by the parental paps snapping and flashing in their faces lol.

At the end if is good cos then all the kids are facing forward. Enjoy the performance in real time and get the snaps at the end :)

The ones that get me are when they say "No photos for child protection reasons" but then you find some member of the PTA has filmed it and will sell you a dvd for £5 :bang::bang:

if you could take photos after maybe they just didnt want the kids getting blinded by constant P&S flash when they were trying to remember their lines etc?

:thinking:

Lots of parents put the photos of the kids onto Facebook as it has their child in it, but forget that it has other children in it. A lot of schools ask you not to upload to facebook if it is a group shot as many parents do not want their little un's photo's on there.

At our nativity they didn't want photos taken for flash reasons. It was perfectly acceptable to take video.

Then they made it very clear before using their photos on facebook etc. to ask permission from the parents whose children are in the photo.

It's all part of a secret plan to erase all childhood memories, when todays kids reach adulthood it will all be part of the norm then the secret plan will move onto erasing memories of adults to allow the new governments (the PC-Brigade) to do whatever they want with the population.
Yes my imagination has been running wild again. :puke::)

As for PTA's selling dvd's for a fiver, if this were true I'd be getting it stopped as I wouldn't want my kid being exploited so someone else can profit from their part in the play.

Lots of parents put the photos of the kids onto Facebook as it has their child in it, but forget that it has other children in it.

There's nothing illegal in that though.

I had an event like this that i was asked to photograph for a local youth group... however one parent hadn't signed the "I would love memories of my child, doing what children do" paperwork... and thus complained... so every photo i had taken that had that child in it, had to be destroyed...

Yes i agree with child protection, but i think its going a little far now!

There isn't but if any kids are under a protection order where their location is being hidden from other family members, plastering their pictures all over FB could give the game away somewhat ;)

Having said that, any school that has children under such an order would know and be able to advise accordingly and these situations should be dealt with as per antihero's post (IMVHO of course) :clap:

Sometimes it is not about law it is about respecting parents wishes and common sense about not putting other peoples children up on a social networking site.

Well, my wife was at a nativity thing yesterday and snapped away with no problem. I appreciate that on private property the 'owner' has the right to say what goes on, but I find for a school (which is paid for by us) and wants us to support it, should not be saying you cant take pics. If the school said that to me, they would get me complaining to the local press and pulling my child out of any activity, and encouraging other parents to do the same.

How likely is it really that a kid under a protection order will be comprimised by this. Most people will only share pics with friends, and even then, most peoples pics are not that great. The chances of someone spotting their child is slim - if that is a worry, then dont let that child take part!

Well, my wife was at a nativity thing yesterday and snapped away with no problem. I appreciate that on private property the 'owner' has the right to say what goes on, but I find for a school (which is paid for by us) and wants us to support it, should not be saying you cant take pics. If the school said that to me, they would get me complaining to the local press and pulling my child out of any activity, and encouraging other parents to do the same.

How likely is it really that a kid under a protection order will be comprimised by this. Most people will only share pics with friends, and even then, most peoples pics are not that great. The chances of someone spotting their child is slim - if that is a worry, then dont let that child take part!

Very unfair on the child (if there were one in that situation).

I have known this to happen, a child of a friend was adopted, the case was messy and their were CP issues. The childs picture was on facebook, put up by a family friend who has 'friends of friends' settings and did not know the child history. A biological parent discovered them via that photo ... very extreme case, but non the less it happens.

I guess the school need to make sure there are not compromising the children in their care as we know who quick people are to lay blame at school's doors when things go wrong.

Thats the point, its an extreme case. We cannot run risk free lives - we can minimise, but that parent could have been shopping and seen the child, or be at a train station!

It is unfair on the child, but better that 1 child/family misses out than 30 children have no record of it? The wishes of the majority should always be the 1st concern.

But they were not missing out on recording the event, they were told they could take photo's at the end, which was probably a lot better for the children and for the parents.

The majority are not always right and their wishes should not always be the first concern.

Schools went overboard with stopping photos etc. a few years ago, but they all seem to be settling down and allowing photos.

You need to find out the reasons why.

If you can take photos after, then its probably stopping the flash and distracting the kids. They don't want to go around all the parents trying to work out how to turn off the flash because most of them don't know so they can take photos.

I don't get the no video recording though. Unless they are trying to sell their own, which is wrong and some schools have tried to do this - stop parents and get them to buy it for £5 or so :(

The video is in my experience due to parents pushing and shoving to get best view and standing for whole performance. Schools then started to film it and used any money from selling to enable them improve things like costumes etc.

I personally do not mind paying a fiver for a film that does not have me clapping, cheers and laughing it in :D

I understand the reasons why we're not aloud don't get me wrong, but i don't have too agree or like it.

Please explain it to me then .. nothing in your post tells us why.. so if you understand..tell us?

I do a lot of plays...well a few then.. and i never photogrpah when its being performed.. all photogrpahy is done at dress rehersal..

get the parents to club together to pay for me to come take the pics for you :)

... and thus complained... so every photo i had taken that had that child in it, had to be destroyed...

Why destroy the memories of everyone else who was there when it wouldn't have taken that much effort to just PS the face out of the dissenter?

At least everyone else could have had their photos (and perhaps even a little giggle at Billy "no face" ;) ).

I would have done it, even just for the principle of not allowing one person to act as the censor for an entire group of people.

I'm off to my daughters in a few minutes, camera's are banned except for the schools which you can buy a copy of after the event. If it's anything like last years my 6yr old could probably do better.

I'm off to my daughters in a few minutes, camera's are banned except for the schools which you can buy a copy of after the event. If it's anything like last years my 6yr old could probably do better.

Is anyone profiting from the photos/video taken at the school using children as a excuse to make money, is it a pro 'tog taking the photos/video getting a fee, does the whole 100% of the cash raised from sales go to the school or local authority. I think it's a question I'd be asking as a parent of a child taking part in a school play and being told I can't take a photo of my child on stage.

Private property, they can make any rule they like (within reason)

Is anyone profiting from the photos/video taken at the school using children as a excuse to make money.

Sorry but what sort of a thing is that to say? What about the school photogrpaher who takes pics of all the kids..they have been around for 40-50 years or more.. arnt they using school kids to make money?

Lots of other examples... seems a very strange thing for you to post.

Although nice to take pictures i would rather spend £5 buying the official dvd and photos than spend the whole play looking at it through a video camera or having everyone in front of me jumping up and down throughout, its better for the kids too.

Parents cannot be banned from taking photographs of their children in nativity plays at school, the Information Commissioner has said.

Linky

Parents cannot be banned from taking photographs of their children in nativity plays at school

Oh yes they can!

Sorry couldnt resist the theatrics:)

However.. they can... and indeed are as this thread shows... the school can impose any ban on anything they like... there school there rules..

What they can't do is ban it under the the data protection laws as thats poppycock..

Sorry but what sort of a thing is that to say? What about the school photogrpaher who takes pics of all the kids..they have been around for 40-50 years or more.. arnt they using school kids to make money?

Lots of other examples... seems a very strange thing for you to post.

I don't think so Tony, why should a parent be prohibited from taking a photo at their child's nativity play when a school has employed a pro tog to take photos then charge the parent for prints/video. IMO if there is a ban on parents taking photos then it should include themselves too. Why should they or the tog profit from a parents child taking part, I can understand paying for the anual photo sessions throughout the year which has been going on for donkeys years and I don't have a problem with that, but it seems the nativity plays for the youngsters is where most parents are present at is where all the resentment is coming from.
Either ban taking photos completely from both parents and the school authorities or give the parents a choice to take snaps with their own camera/phone (obviously a restriction on tripods) and/or buy quality print/video from the schools own photographer.

To me it's double standards, forcing the parent to buy a print/video if the want a memory of their child in the play. Not exactly teaching them the season of goodwill to all is it, more like how much money can we screw out of the parents.

Please explain it to me then .. nothing in your post tells us why.. so if you understand..tell us?

I do a lot of plays...well a few then.. and i never photogrpah when its being performed.. all photogrpahy is done at dress rehersal..

get the parents to club together to pay for me to come take the pics for you :)

Sorry i'll explain further........

As my old english teacher told me you have to look at both sides of the argument, the pro's and con's of both and then make your own mind up.

So, i understand that if i didn't want my childs photo taken by somebody else then i would agree with it, putting the shoe on the other foot if you will.

I have no problems however in my child being in another parents photograph.

The schools reasons were that its to protect the children and not that it would disract them etc..... I asked for them to elaborate 'protect', the reply was very blunt...'perverts and peodophiles etc'......my jaw was stuck open at this point as you can imagine. My reply was then whats the difference taking shots at the end, other kids would still be in and out of the shots, i cannot understand what difference it will make.

I was then told other parents also had similar views reflecting what i had said and a decision will be made tomorrow, the day of the nativity.

If we are allowed, whats best shooting conditions? I don't have a tripod.

It was great reading all your replys guys, all valid points put across.

Thanks

Matt

Back